League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

They don't need the money, so I'm not surprised. However what they do need (as an outsider) is to look at why their best players leave and don't come back.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

They don't need the money, so I'm not surprised. However what they do need (as an outsider) is to look at why their best players leave and don't come back.

I don't agree with the club taking these players back but that said your comment just doesn't hold true, the vast majority have come back - most I wish hadn't, the only one who hasn't who the club wanted is Williams. Sam Tomkins, Joel Tomkins, Tommy Leululai, Joe Burgess, Lee Mossop, Dan Sarginson and John Bateman all came back.

Super League and RFL set up Joint Working Groups to plan a way forward

Strategic interest from several credible parties must be PE.

Chimes with what Adam Pearson said the other month in his BBC interview. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

4 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Super League and RFL set up Joint Working Groups to plan a way forward

Strategic interest from several credible parties must be PE.

Chimes with what Adam Pearson said the other month in his BBC interview. 

The Peter principle in action. 

Which one of those on the working committee have proved competent at this level before?

Effin pointless

33 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

The Peter principle in action. 

Which one of those on the working committee have proved competent at this level before?

Effin pointless

They all have decent CV's don't they? I don't know much about Paul Lakin. 

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They all have decent CV's don't they? I don't know much about Paul Lakin. 

I just hope they don't employ another Robert Elstone type person, but good to see Gary Heatherington involved. From Robins fans the majority of opinion is that Paul Lakin is doing a good job there.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I'd have liked to have seen some French representation, you know being Super League Europe and all.

And arguably one of the most dynamic and successful clubs in the game; since they have basically built a club from scratch! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I'd have liked to have seen some French representation, you know being Super League Europe and all.

Wouldn’t that come down to if they fit in? After all they need to be showing more than willing to survive. 

On 10/09/2021 at 11:50, Ackroman said:

I was just wondering how far I could go without going off topic. Is there anything in particular?

I liked the post and was interested (when you said you could go on) to hear what else you had to say? 

On 11/09/2021 at 15:12, fighting irish said:

I liked the post and was interested (when you said you could go on) to hear what else you had to say? 

Well the natural conclusion from these studies of American sports and University investment is that there is a role for someone to look at how this works in RL. A whole game view on the sport.

So for example maybe half a dozen clubs in the UK have the resources to attract naturally gifted individuals who have grown up in the right environment for RL. The right number of schools, community clubs and fan base. Pouring more money into those environments is potentially a waste because the socio-economic conditions for RL are already fulfilled. This extra money therefore gets "invested" in talent but often that talent is no better than what you can produce yourself because the environment is as good as it gets. The Leeds team that won everything was based on their own academy players, so why move away from that model? 

The Canadian RL ladies 9's model is based on this principle. Whereby fans are members of the League (not the club) and the League chooses where to put teams. So they select the type of stadium they want, the location for a fan base and potential participation. They re investing holistically in creating rivalry and competition.

RL in this country has actually followed that principle where investment in SL by Sky has actually been in the League. However the clubs involved have chosen to invest in themselves. Probably one reason why Sky are miffed at the state of the comp now in relation to 15 or so years ago.

So if I was influencing the clubs I would insist on a budget for the clubs for players, a budget for academies that are owned and run by the RFL, not the clubs - with a draft system. A budget for the league to invest in infrastructure - so for example you promote Bradford to SL as they have the pedigree in all areas but are weak on infrastructure - so that's where the League invest. Centralised ticketing & marketing so fans can buy tickets to league matches at any stadium as a set of packages. Targets for penetration into schools and community clubs by the RFL - not the clubs. I think there is a growing realisation that the modern youth follows individuals and not team so we have to look at developing stars of the game - not star clubs at the detriment of others. This should actually save money!

The above top league works on a franchise basis but is inclusive, so you may start with 10 teams but plan to have 20 in 10 years time. 

Also I think the mistakes the game has made are now obvious when we look at how people consume entertainment. Owners of clubs have personalised their clubs when actually they are brands as far as young consumers are concerned. The fact Sky has asked for a re-brand has shown how poorly thought out this has been because all the owners have done is redrawn a badge! A proper re-brand invests and focusses on weaknesses and opportunities not in enhancing strengths which can become overcooked. RU has made this mistake by investing it's money in players so squads are now massive, allowing some of them to become impact players - looks good on TV but has created significant welfare problems with high impact injuries increasing.  In RL it's to create a number of fixtures that put player welfare at risk and offers consumers the same 2 teams, too often weakening the ability to sell exclusivity. One podcast I listened to made a very good point that it doesn't matter how many teams are in the league, it's who they play and how often they play, as the play-offs smooth out discrepancies.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Kurt Haggerty has his say, although most people would say “yeah but he would say that wouldn’t he.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/leigh-coach-feels-rugby-league-would-benefit-from-return-of-licensing/

A 14 team super league would be great with no loop fixtures, but and it's a big but as there would have to be a criteria for it and that's where certain super league clubs would fail to meet the criteria.

Edited by The Future is League
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

A 14 team super league would be great with no loop fixtures, but and it's a big but as there would have to be a criteria for it and there where certain super league clubs would fail to meet the criteria.

Not very often you're right , but this time 😉

7 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Thought Wigan were £6m in debt and losing £1m pa??

Linky DInky?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Not quite as you state.

"we’ve actually made a loss in the last two years of 2 million quid – that’s what goes out in the accounts, which is such a pity, because we were actually bringing our losses down. We lost I think it was one quarter million in 2019. And we’ve got it down to 200,000 in 2020 till Covid hit but that’s like so many families isn’t it? "

A lot of other clubs are in the same situation as they also have similar debts to sport England/Government to survive the pandemic.

Nice try but no cigar.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.