Clubs on the Up

Eddie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Well if they've installed 5g at the lsv, that causes covid, I was at the lsv for the wire cas semi. And then had to isolate.

The pitch at the LSV is a hybrid , a watched the plastic being sowed into the soil , incredible machines that do it , they were on their way to Wembley the week after 

That's why Man Utd use it for their junior and ladies teams 

On 06/11/2021 at 20:19, GUBRATS said:

The pitch at the LSV is a hybrid , a watched the plastic being sowed into the soil , incredible machines that do it , they were on their way to Wembley the week after 

That's why Man Utd use it for their junior and ladies teams 

They are not juniors.

On 06/11/2021 at 11:34, ShropshireBull said:

And newcastle being in a city with 260,000 with Gateshead adding another 100,000.  

Yes Newcastle have money invested but thats clearly because they have a higher ceiling.  Would be good if Barrow can pull in 2000 and be a strong champ club.  

On 06/11/2021 at 14:33, owls said:

Plus South Shields which adjoins Newcastle with another 100.000,

The reality is that for Newcastle you are pulling from the whole Tyneside conurbation, so North of the Tyne that's Newcastle all the way down the river to the coast and Tynemouth then up the coast to Whitley Bay and south of the Tyne Gateshead all the way down the river to South Shields. That takes the population up to nearly 900,000 and is the 8th most populous urban area in the UK. 

There is a problem with "clubs on the up", if being "on the up" is inextricably tied to success on the field. Inexorably it means there will always be a corresponding number of clubs "on the down". We need a "rising tide lifts all boats" outlook if we want RL to grow sustainably.

The only options are international competition and grass roots with the emphasis on the latter since we know from previous WCs held in the UK that any upturn in awareness quickly dissipates if it isn`t followed up with regular involvement of some type.

The exemplar is a club or area that manages to expand their fan and/or participant base without the advantage of a winning pro club in the vicinity. Whatever methods they`ve used should be cherry-picked as best practice by all clubs and areas.

Popularity that follows in the wake of on-field success for the local pro club is built on sand, and a guarantee of stagnation at best for the game as a whole.

2 hours ago, NERugbyDad said:

The reality is that for Newcastle you are pulling from the whole Tyneside conurbation, so North of the Tyne that's Newcastle all the way down the river to the coast and Tynemouth then up the coast to Whitley Bay and south of the Tyne Gateshead all the way down the river to South Shields. That takes the population up to nearly 900,000 and is the 8th most populous urban area in the UK. 

Its also predominantly Rugby Union and Soccer area which could make it difficult to get them following and supporting a 3rd ball game in significant  numbers at weekends. 

5 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Its also predominantly Rugby Union and Soccer area which could make it difficult to get them following and supporting a 3rd ball game in significant  numbers at weekends. 

Is Tyneside a big Rugby Union area? Newcastle Falcons are now a Premiership side, but It wasn’t until they turned professional after a benefactor invested heavily in them that they became a Premiership side, before that they spent years in the 2nd division, 9 out of 10 years in the 2nd division between 1987 and 1997. If Newcastle Thunder reach Super League I can certainly see the similarities between the Union and League side.,

If we are not going to try and expand into areas where Football and Rugby Union are currently bigger than Rugby League I think that rules out expansion from everywhere in the World with the exception of PNG.

On 05/11/2021 at 15:51, ShropshireBull said:

I guess Rochdale really depends on what kind of crowds they could draw if they go up . Guy in charge obviously thinks they have potential compared to Swinton and at least play in town. Linked up with college which is good. Averaged around a thousand which is good after a naff season and covid so if Dale run well this year maybe 1500 average . Problem is they don´t get the bar money or money from stadium sponsorship and commercially growth in Rochdale likely to be weaker than say Newcastle or York. Still,  would be good to see them in the Champ bobbing along at around 2000. 

On 05/11/2021 at 15:52, JM2010 said:

I think Rochdale does have some potential for growth. It's quite a large town and has some strong community clubs in and around

Lots already in place at Rochdale.

On 05/11/2021 at 15:51, ShropshireBull said:

I guess Rochdale really depends on what kind of crowds they could draw if they go up . Guy in charge obviously thinks they have potential compared to Swinton and at least play in town. Linked up with college which is good. Averaged around a thousand which is good after a naff season and covid so if Dale run well this year maybe 1500 average . Problem is they don´t get the bar money or money from stadium sponsorship and commercially growth in Rochdale likely to be weaker than say Newcastle or York. Still,  would be good to see them in the Champ bobbing along at around 2000. 

Rochdale no way near have an average of 1000. Mazey used to fabricate attendances when he was at Swinton too

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why would he do that, when they’d have to pay more tax on gate receipts? 

Have to ask him that. Can only state from what i've seen. 

Swinton V Toulouse a couple of years ago was reported at 2800.... Lucky if there was more than 1000 there. Worked the other way at times too.... Swinton V Workington promotion/relegation game springs to mind.

The bloke's an absolute whopper.

13 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Have to ask him that. Can only state from what i've seen. 

Swinton V Toulouse a couple of years ago was reported at 2800.... Lucky if there was more than 1000 there. Worked the other way at times too.... Swinton V Workington promotion/relegation game springs to mind.

The bloke's an absolute whopper.

As a Swinton fan you’ll know a lot more about his tenure there than me, but I’ve been very impressed by his consortium’s plans for Rochdale. 

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

As a Swinton fan you’ll know a lot more about his tenure there than me, but I’ve been very impressed by his consortium’s plans for Rochdale. 

I genuinely hope it does work out for Rochdale. Just hope he's learned lessons from previous fall outs/drunken social media ramblings and arguments with fans, then lieing to the press.

Would be great if Rochdale as a town could catch the RL bug.  Be interesting to see how Littler copes coaching a team who are expected to win every week rather than stay up by the skin of their teeth. League One is gonna be brilliant! Can't wait!

On the original topic, it is nice that Rochdale definately now have some optimism!

16 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There is a problem with "clubs on the up", if being "on the up" is inextricably tied to success on the field. Inexorably it means there will always be a corresponding number of clubs "on the down"

Popularity that follows in the wake of on-field success for the local pro club is built on sand, and a guarantee of stagnation at best for the game as a whole.

I'd disagree completely , you build a fan base when successful , hopefully you retain a % of that gain when less successful , much better than having one or two clubs dominate everything over a long period 

Archived