Jump to content

Oldham RLFC: 24 years and counting no ground, no success, hardly any supporters. Time to Sell ?


WATERSHEDDINGS_ORLFC_1972
 Share

Recommended Posts


In 24 years can you honestly say hand on heart that we have progressed under Hamilton's Leadership. Seriously their are people out there who would be willing to buy the club! If you intend to commit, do it BIG, not small  you may as well not commit at all. If your ambition is to remain in league one with no ground and hardly any support back the same horse! Why have we never expanded the club beyond Mr Hamilton's ownership! Why have we never expanded the boardroom until now. We have two people running Oldham RLFC, The owner (Mr Hamilton) and his mate. Who is to say he's running the club for his own benefit and not for the benefit of the people of Oldham. Why is Oldham RLFC registered opposite Boundary Park. Why do we play at Stalybridge. When we have a perfectly good Stadium Opposite where the Club is Officially registered. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, WATERSHEDDINGS_ORLFC_1972 said:

In 24 years can you honestly say hand on heart that we have progressed under Hamilton's Leadership. Seriously their are people out there who would be willing to buy the club! If you intend to commit, do it BIG, not small  you may as well not commit at all. If your ambition is to remain in league one with no ground and hardly any support back the same horse! Why have we never expanded the club beyond Mr Hamilton's ownership! Why have we never expanded the boardroom until now. We have two people running Oldham RLFC, The owner (Mr Hamilton) and his mate. Who is to say he's running the club for his own benefit and not for the benefit of the people of Oldham. Why is Oldham RLFC registered opposite Boundary Park. Why do we play at Stalybridge. When we have a perfectly good Stadium Opposite where the Club is Officially registered. 

keighey fixture list round 1, sunday 27th march oldham away venue TBC.

make of this what you will. building a team with no ground.

cant find a ground oldhams problems will be over.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Stadium issue is the biggest concern, why cannot we agree on somewhere that is based in Oldham and stay there.

Oldham RLFC seem to be scrambling for a venue of where to play next year. This really should of been decided upon.

It's ridiculous that a venue still hasn't been arranged. No wonder crowds are disappearing. Venues should be decided upon before fixture releases. You will lose many spectators if they don't know which ground they need to arrive at.

Poor planning leads to poor performance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WATERSHEDDINGS_ORLFC_1972 said:

The Stadium issue is the biggest concern, why cannot we agree on somewhere that is based in Oldham and stay there.

Oldham RLFC seem to be scrambling for a venue of where to play next year. This really should of been decided upon.

It's ridiculous that a venue still hasn't been arranged. No wonder crowds are disappearing. Venues should be decided upon before fixture releases. You will lose many spectators if they don't know which ground they need to arrive at.

Poor planning leads to poor performance.

To me it's number one issue. We need a home, a proper home. I think the reason it's taking so long with whitebank is that they want a long term agreement, trouble is the place is just not good enough if we get promoted. I think people know my view. Sharing with a local RL club and apply for joint funding. Now whether that is feasible I don't know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's easy to sit in the comfort of your armchair and criticise, and although supporters haven't always been happy with the way CH has run it, would ORLFC have survived for the last 24 years without him?  My guess is probably not. As for the lack of a permanent ground, CH isn't to blame for the Club being sold down the river when they were forced to leave Watersheddings in 1997. No doubt there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes regarding a ground and they'll surely make an announcement as soon as they're in a position to do so.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

To me it's number one issue. We need a home, a proper home. I think the reason it's taking so long with whitebank is that they want a long term agreement, trouble is the place is just not good enough if we get promoted. I think people know my view. Sharing with a local RL club and apply for joint funding. Now whether that is feasible I don't know.

From what has been said previously, it sounds as if Whitebank will have to suffice for 2022 but I agree with Art's suggestion. Surely sharing with a local RL club would be a win win situation and it's surely worth exploring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No 1 Watersheddings had to be sold because of decades of financial mismanagement, (Not by Mr Quinn). We wouldn't of been in Super League if it wasn't for Mr Quinn. People have very short memory's when Oldham had a successful team they should of re invested in the 50's 60' s 70's and so on. Watersheddings was falling down couldn't afford the repairs. and the club was more than £2,000000 in debt after people taking all the profits (not Mr Quinn) and not re investing in the Club. That's how we got this awful mess in the first place and continue to do so.

 

Off course Oldham RLFC would of survived. One man isn't Oldham RLFC. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, WATERSHEDDINGS_ORLFC_1972 said:

and the club was more than £2,000000 in debt

As a matter of interest, to whom was the club in debt to that large amount of money? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably the creditors and other parties, if I am wrong, and you know please correct me ? Yes watching Ganley must of been something else you were lucky, What do you think Oldham should do, to get back to those standards? My short and long term outlook probably doesn't get anywhere near those standards, Perhaps Mr Quinn (Former Chairman of The Original Oldham RLFC - The Roughyeds ) could come out of retirement and help to fix these problems it would be fascinating if he did. As he gave us a team we were thrilled to watch and the use of Boundary Park on a regular basis when Watersheddings had expired its lifetime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, WATERSHEDDINGS_ORLFC_1972 said:

Probably the creditors and other parties, if I am wrong, and you know please correct me ? Yes watching Ganley must of been something else you were lucky, What do you think Oldham should do, to get back to those standards? My short and long term outlook probably doesn't get anywhere near those standards, Perhaps Mr Quinn (Former Chairman of The Original Oldham RLFC - The Roughyeds ) could come out of retirement and help to fix these problems it would be fascinating if he did. As he gave us a team we were thrilled to watch and the use of Boundary Park on a regular basis when Watersheddings had expired its lifetime.

I remember my dad telling me that ganley could kick from anywhere on the field but he couldn't tackle for toffee. Probably why his international honours were limited.😐

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/11/2021 at 10:18, WATERSHEDDINGS_ORLFC_1972 said:

The Stadium issue is the biggest concern, why cannot we agree on somewhere that is based in Oldham and stay there.

Oldham RLFC seem to be scrambling for a venue of where to play next year. This really should of been decided upon.

It's ridiculous that a venue still hasn't been arranged. No wonder crowds are disappearing. Venues should be decided upon before fixture releases. You will lose many spectators if they don't know which ground they need to arrive at.

Poor planning leads to poor performance.

Poor planning because they can't find a ground, are they looking ? how many times have they been knocked back in their search? do you know of any troubles to a reason why they can't find a ground or even where they have looked?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, WATERSHEDDINGS_ORLFC_1972 said:

Well if we have no ground, we won't be for filling the league requirements for matches to be played, unless we use Saddleworth Rangers Ground. I believe that's a good ground with facilities.

Great ground for an amateur club. Even got a stand so you don't get wet. Good clubhouse too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I remember my dad telling me that ganley could kick from anywhere on the field but he couldn't tackle for toffee.

Almost correct on both points. Bernard Ganley wasn't on the field to tackle. He wasn't expected to. He had a total of 12 very skillful, fast and hard players in front of him who did the tackling for him. Additionally that great team of the '50s could always score more points than his 'missed' tackles ever caused. Ganley was there for one reason and one reason only. That was to kick goals from anywhere in the opposition's half. As a 'kicking machine' he did just that. His kicking demoralised the opposition. They knew that he rarely missed a goal. His world record number of total goals scored, and kicked in a single season, stood for many, many years. 

P.S. He couldn't kick from ANYWHERE on the field. Even he wasn't that good !

Edited by ArthurO
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/11/2021 at 10:58, Marauder said:

Poor planning because they can't find a ground, are they looking ? how many times have they been knocked back in their search? do you know of any troubles to a reason why they can't find a ground or even where they have looked?

Not sure its really in the plan tbh.  No money to buy the land even if it was available. 

  • Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Not sure its really in the plan tbh.  No money to buy the land even if it was available. 

Result of poor management in yester year, for.me Fev are going about growing their club in the right way.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Result of poor management in yester year, for.me Fev are going about growing their club in the right way.

Yup, keeping that ground and slowly building it is a key factor in where they are.  

  • Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yup, keeping that ground and slowly building it is a key factor in where they are.  

Not sure if Fev's little plot was once coal board property, it so they'd have got it for  a pittance.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 23/11/2021 at 13:54, WATERSHEDDINGS_ORLFC_1972 said:

In 24 years can you honestly say hand on heart that we have progressed under Hamilton's Leadership. Seriously their are people out there who would be willing to buy the club! If you intend to commit, do it BIG, not small  you may as well not commit at all. If your ambition is to remain in league one with no ground and hardly any support back the same horse! Why have we never expanded the club beyond Mr Hamilton's ownership! Why have we never expanded the boardroom until now. We have two people running Oldham RLFC, The owner (Mr Hamilton) and his mate. Who is to say he's running the club for his own benefit and not for the benefit of the people of Oldham. Why is Oldham RLFC registered opposite Boundary Park. Why do we play at Stalybridge. When we have a perfectly good Stadium Opposite where the Club is Officially registered. 

The address on Furtherwood Road is Hamiltons House. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Wakefield councilhas gifted featherstone, castleford and wakefield, 2 million each for ground developments

Surely oldham RL need protecting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...