New TV Contract for NRL

4 hours ago, UTK said:

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league/womens-origin-pacific-tests-changes-near-c-5034990

Confirmation they're scrapped. 

"We care about the International game" 

Yeah get stuffed. 

At least they're transparent about this being to protect Origin from player defections. V'landys and Abdo are absolutely disastrous for the game outside of NSW/QLD, absolutely pathetic.

It says he wants an international window over October and November.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's very unfair.

They're also good for the game in the Australian Capital Territory.

On behalf of other ACT residents I’d like to thank you for being a foreigner who actually knows we exist.

😀

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

So what are we waiting for?

Who is the “we”? If you mean that we need to get our act together in the NH because we effectively have a competitor who at best couldn’t care less what happens to us, then I entirely agree. France France France is the answer. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

That's very unfair.

They're also good for the game in the Australian Capital Territory.

I forgot to add to my previous post that if you want to go to an advanced level, you’ll also know about Jervis Bay Territory.

Australia has three mainland territories, not two. Have that as a trivia question and nearly every Australian will get it wrong.

It’s a legally separate Territory but is managed by the federal government, NSW and the ACT. A few hundred people live there.

It’s surrounded by NSW and most Australians aren’t aware of it. It’s not included in maps in classrooms, not in drop down lists for addresses etc. It’s not mentioned at all in our education system. It has a school, police, National Park, a few villages and a shop.

I’ve been there a few times and it’s beautiful.

It’s also firmly within rugby league country.

I’m in agreement with @fighting irish. Whinging about the Australians lack of ambition to play internationals outside their own terms, is like screaming at the rain.

The NRL is not a generous partner of NH RL. The word partner itself is a very loose description. The NRL is focusing on its own priorities in the way it sees fit and despite both the passion demonstrated on this forum and my own personal appreciation for the International game, I don’t see a compelling argument to suggest the sport will be better off by focusing on two seperate international windows in a season than one.

Its time for the RFL to build its own self sufficient empire without any dependence or reliance on the NRL at either club or national level.

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I’m in agreeable with @fighting irish. Whinging about the Australians lack of ambition to play internationals outside their own terms, is like screaming at the rain.

The NRL is not a generous partner of NH RL. The word partner itself is a very loose description. The NRL is focusing on its own priorities in the way it sees fit and despite both the passion demonstrated on this forum and my own personal appreciation for the International game, I don’t see a compelling argument to suggest the sport will be better off by focusing on two seperate international windows in a season than one.

Its time for the RFL to build its own self sufficient empire without any dependence or reliance on the NRL at either club or national level.

I wish I could live till I am 200 hundred years old to see this happen.

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

I forgot to add to my previous post that if you want to go to an advanced level, you’ll also know about Jervis Bay Territory.

Australia has three mainland territories, not two. Have that as a trivia question and nearly every Australian will get it wrong.

It’s a legally separate Territory but is managed by the federal government, NSW and the ACT. A few hundred people live there.

It’s surrounded by NSW and most Australians aren’t aware of it. It’s not included in maps in classrooms, not in drop down lists for addresses etc. It’s not mentioned at all in our education system. It has a school, police, National Park, a few villages and a shop.

I’ve been there a few times and it’s beautiful.

It’s also firmly within rugby league country.

Aye, I know that one because you mentioned it a while back and I did some google research into it.

Properly fascinating place.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

I’m in agreeable with @fighting irish. Whinging about the Australians lack of ambition to play internationals outside their own terms, is like screaming at the rain.

That's fine if you don't give a damn about PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and New Zealand. Its awfully strange to make this about just the northern hemisphere when that isn't just what people's concerns are. I agree with what Fighting Irish says, and have said the same on various occasions, but the game is bigger than just that.

Its awfully weird that you seem to think that no internationals for 11 months of the year can possibly be a good thing or wont be worse off than having a proper balanced schedule throughout the year. This act single-handedly restricts what the international game will ever be able to achieve, the amount of games that can possibly be played and means it disappears off the radar for much of the year with any momentum being lost from one year to the next. That is before we get the Australia years off and the normal shenanigans we face every year.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's fine if you don't give a damn about PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and New Zealand. Its awfully strange to make this about just the northern hemisphere when that isn't just what people's concerns are. I agree with what Fighting Irish says, and have said the same on various occasions, but the game is bigger than just that.

Its awfully weird that you seem to think that no internationals for 11 months of the year can possibly be a good thing or wont be worse off than having a proper balanced schedule throughout the year. This act single-handedly restricts what the international game will ever be able to achieve, the amount of games that can possibly be played and means it disappears off the radar for much of the year with any momentum being lost from one year to the next. That is before we get the Australia years off and the normal shenanigans we face every year.

He’s not a leaguie, so it’s not weird at all. 

I think that the NRL thriving is good news for the local nations, as any good and ambitious sportsman in any of those countries will be attracted to play league. As we have seen with the Hunters and the SIlktails, creating pathways for more and more talent is a win win. 

It could also be good for NH league, but only indirectly. This announcement, and the NRL’s 4 minute warning, have shown us exactly what we need to do. We have the greatest game, and may well have a wonderful World Cup to build from next year. The best way to start a journey is to work out exactly where you are starting from.

13 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

He’s not a leaguie, so it’s not weird at all. 

I think that the NRL thriving is good news for the local nations, as any good and ambitious sportsman in any of those countries will be attracted to play league. As we have seen with the Hunters and the SIlktails, creating pathways for more and more talent is a win win. 

It could also be good for NH league, but only indirectly. This announcement, and the NRL’s 4 minute warning, have shown us exactly what we need to do. We have the greatest game, and may well have a wonderful World Cup to build from next year. The best way to start a journey is to work out exactly where you are starting from.

Its shouldn't be a binary choice, a thriving NRL and decent international scene that lasts for more than a few weeks at the end of the season should be more than possible. Only self interest stops that. I love the fact that the NRL is the premier Rugby competition in the world with money to burn but it can do that without cannibalising international RL. It should actually see international RL as helping the NRL to grow even greater.

The trouble is, as we have seen, those ambitious sportsmen also want to play on the biggest stages for their country. As great as the NRL it fails to provide that and as a result players still leave RL and still have to go to Union to achieve these goals. If the NRL took international RL seriously and did more than just paying lip service to it then it would only benefit the NRL and make it stronger. League players would stay in League because they can achieve their international goals and if Union players chose to switch to League because of the strength of the NRL, and because of a vibrant RL international scene that meant they weren't sacrificing their international ambitions, then the NRL would be even better, stronger and richer.

36 minutes ago, Damien said:

It’s not that I don’t care about those other pacific nations @Damien, if you read my post, I did say I am a fan of the internationals. It’s just that I don’t agree that mid season internationals are necessary.

Less is more in my opinion. With both professional club seasons running and ending at the same time, the obvious route is to have just an end of season international window. It’s not like UK RL doesn’t have enough on its plate to satisfy the fans during the regular season, with both SL and the Challenge Cup and whatever that cup for the Championship clubs is.

A four year cycle that includes the WC, 2 years of 6 nations in each hemisphere and an alternate Northern/Southern tour at the end of each year is about all I think we need.

Not that the NRL seem to be interested in even fitting to a consistent end of season international schedule. But that doesn’t mean I agree with mid season internationals. Heck, I hardly get excited about Origin anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its shouldn't be a binary choice, a thriving NRL and decent international scene that lasts for more than a few weeks at the end of the season should be more than possible. Only self interest stops that. I love the fact that the NRL is the premier Rugby competition in the world with money to burn but it can do that without cannibalising international RL. It should actually see international RL as helping the NRL to grow even greater.

The trouble is, as we have seen, those ambitious sportsmen also want to play on the biggest stages for their country. As great as the NRL it fails to provide that and as a result players still leave RL and still have to go to Union to achieve these goals. If the NRL took international RL seriously and did more than just paying lip service to it then it would only benefit the NRL and make it stronger. League players would stay in League because they can achieve their international goals and if Union players chose to switch to League because of the strength of the NRL, and because of a vibrant RL international scene that meant they weren't sacrificing their international ambitions, then the NRL would be even better, stronger and richer.

And I agree with almost all of that. I would only add that my idea of a sole international window at the end of the year is over a six week period, not three.

As for the @Exiled Wiganer, it appears he wouldn’t know a leaguie even if he was sharing a forum with him.

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Who is the “we”? If you mean that we need to get our act together in the NH because we effectively have a competitor who at best couldn’t care less what happens to us, then I entirely agree. France France France is the answer. 

Yes that is exactly what I mean, except that France is only part of the answer.

The Western hemisphere, with Greenwich at its eastern edge has incalculable potential. 

1 hour ago, Jonty58 said:

I wish I could live till I am 200 hundred years old to see this happen.

I'm not suggesting that it will happen overnight.

One thing I'm fairly certain about is the Aussies are not going to help us. (The NH). 

All I'm saying is that we need to get started, (it will take as long as it takes) if we delay 5 years, it will take 5 years longer.

Also, it is happening even without our input, I'm just sure that an international programme featuring the NH international teams is inherently attractive, to people like us, so holds enormous development potential. Organising it and promoting it will accelerate it's growth. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s not that I don’t care about those other pacific nations @Damien, if you read my post, I did say I am a fan of the internationals. It’s just that I don’t agree that mid season internationals are necessary.

It`s interesting to read that as a fellow Australian SP, because I have to admit I feel a little the the same, it`s not like we don`t have enough to keep us entertained through out the regular season.

I can also understand why some may have genuine fears about the commitment to an end-of-season international window as well. Not only from the NRL and the clubs but also from the players and fans.

Ultimately I do wonder whether we are going to see a situation where all our international eggs are going to be placed in the World Cup basket. That will become the pinnacle of international Rugby League, even for the players, every thing else will be just optional window dressing that on any given year they might or might not participate in. But in World Cup year it will be on for young and old trying to get that spot.

It kind of makes sense in a way when you have a competition as strong and highly regarded as the NRL, for Christs sake we had union super star Gordie Barrett all over the media last week talking about how he`d love to have a crack at the NRL, and he is about the 3rd All-Black in 12 months saying the same thing, funny isn`t it, our players want to experience their World Cup and their star players want to experience our NRL, says it all really.

17 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s interesting to read that as a fellow Australian SP, because I have to admit I feel a little the the same, it`s not like we don`t have enough to keep us entertained through out the regular season.

I can also understand why some may have genuine fears about the commitment to an end-of-season international window as well. Not only from the NRL and the clubs but also from the players and fans.

Ultimately I do wonder whether we are going to see a situation where all our international eggs are going to be placed in the World Cup basket. That will become the pinnacle of international Rugby League, even for the players, every thing else will be just optional window dressing that on any given year they might or might not participate in. But in World Cup year it will be on for young and old trying to get that spot.

It kind of makes sense in a way when you have a competition as strong and highly regarded as the NRL, for Christs sake we had union super star Gordie Barrett all over the media last week talking about how he`d love to have a crack at the NRL, and he is about the 3rd All-Black in 12 months saying the same thing, funny isn`t it, our players want to experience their World Cup and their star players want to experience our NRL, says it all really.

That makes thoroughly depressing reading.

On that last paragraph we see this time again when a RU player's contract is up for renewal. How many All Black's or top RU internationals have actually made the move to the NRL since RU went pro? None as far as I recall. In the meantime plenty of RL players have switched to RU because of their international scene.

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

That makes thoroughly depressing reading.

On that last paragraph we see this time again when a RU player's contract is up for renewal. How many All Black's or top RU internationals have actually made the move to the NRL since RU went pro? None as far as I recall. In the meantime plenty of RL players have switched to RU because of their international scene.

I`ve seen it too many times before, once the GF is done that`s it for Rugby League fans for the year, which is not helped by a 25 week season, State of Origins and then finals, all of which a lot of the good players will have been involved in.

Good point about the All-Blacks, but we do hear an awful lot about Union players who are avid fans of the NRL and I don`t hear about any League players waxing lyrical about Super rugby. In fact we had an article by Antony Seibold in the paper during the week about how some young up and coming English union half-back can`t wait to meet Nathan Cleary and pick his brains. And that was after the stories about Gordie Barrett saying he was starstruck meeting Tom Trbojevic- best part about that story was Barrett saying that Tommy didn`t recognise him and that Tommy would wipe the floor with him on the field. Maybe if we can have a super duper WC every four years a few of those League wannabees might be tempted to come over a season or two beforehand to try and get a spot. Maybe.

Either way Damien I do agree that ideally the two ( domestic & international ) should complement each other but given the length, arduousness and prestige of the NRL I do wonder that many players and fans down here may wait every four years for their international fix. Everything else will be superfluous.

23 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I`ve seen it too many times before, once the GF is done that`s it for Rugby League fans for the year, which is not helped by a 25 week season, State of Origins and then finals, all of which a lot of the good players will have been involved in.

Good point about the All-Blacks, but we do hear an awful lot about Union players who are avid fans of the NRL and I don`t hear about any League players waxing lyrical about Super rugby. In fact we had an article by Antony Seibold in the paper during the week about how some young up and coming English union half-back can`t wait to meet Nathan Cleary and pick his brains. And that was after the stories about Gordie Barrett saying he was starstruck meeting Tom Trbojevic- best part about that story was Barrett saying that Tommy didn`t recognise him and that Tommy would wipe the floor with him on the field. Maybe if we can have a super duper WC every four years a few of those League wannabees might be tempted to come over a season or two beforehand to try and get a spot. Maybe.

Either way Damien I do agree that ideally the two ( domestic & international ) should complement each other but given the length, arduousness and prestige of the NRL I do wonder that many players and fans down here may wait every four years for their international fix. Everything else will be superfluous.

It's really odd how two Aussies on here are doing their best to talk down the international game when in recent years we have seen some great crowds, TV ratings and matches that don't back up the level of disinterest they claim. In 4 years we have gone from the rise of the PI nations in the last World Cup, some great crowds and scenes with Tonga, Australia losing 2 of the last 4 games to this ######. RU couldn't sabotage the international game and hold it back better than V'landys and Abbo have done.

A Super duper World Cup doesn't just magically happen if you just ignore the international game in the 3 years prior. The reverse is more likely. Players want to play for their country in meaningful matches. Players and fans certainly don't want to wait 4 years. If Australia want to go down this road then fine, I couldn't care less. The trouble is as we have seen with the World Cup, Denver Test etc if they don't want to play then they don't want anyone else to either.

@The Rocket you are spot on about interest in Aus falling off the cliff post GF, but I do think the broadcasters are a little bit guilty here and don’t give the international game the exposure it deserves.

I don’t think it reflects well on the sport to outsiders and potential new viewers where the Kangaroos play in front of 18k people at the Stoop (although that was one hell of a game) or England play France in front of 10k at LSV.

Until demand is there for 40k+ international fixtures (for the top nations at least), then the organisers need to do a better job at increasing that demand. Exclusivity is one lever that organisers could pull to ensure sellouts in big stadiums.

I wonder.   If the Aussie RL authorities have yet given up on controlling the game here.   They might well point to this apparent success they are having in Australia .  Then, being in charge, they might re-start a programme of internationals.

Might be being paranoid, though.

Just now, JohnM said:

I wonder.   If the Aussie RL authorities have yet given up on controlling the game here.   They might well point to this apparent success they are having in Australia .  Then, being in charge, they might re-start a programme of internationals.

Might be being paranoid, though.

There has never been any serious consideration by the NRL in taking over the game here.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's really odd how two Aussies on here are doing their best to talk down the international game when in recent years we have seen some great crowds, TV ratings and matches that don't back up the level of disinterest they claim. In 4 years we have gone from the rise of the PI nations in the last World Cup, some great crowds and scenes with Tonga, Australia losing 2 of the last 4 games to this ######. RU couldn't sabotage the international game and hold it back better than V'landys and Abbo have done.

A Super duper World Cup doesn't just magically happen if you just ignore the international game in the 3 years prior. The reverse is more likely. Players want to play for their country in meaningful matches. Players and fans certainly don't want to wait 4 years. If Australia want to go down this road then fine, I couldn't care less. The trouble is as we have seen with the World Cup, Denver Test etc if they don't want to play then they don't want anyone else to either.

I’m not talking the international game down, so please don’t put words in my mouth. 

You are right in some regard Damien. But not entirely. There have been some spectacular crowds of recent years. There have also been some flops. The Aus WC for a start.

The sad reality for the time is that the international game is not well supported by the Australian public and that won’t change by organising more fixtures.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I’m not talking the international game down, so please don’t put words in my mouth. 

You are right in some regard Damien. But not entirely. There have been some spectacular crowds of recent years. There have also been some flops. The Aus WC for a start.

The sad reality for the time is that the international game is not well supported by the Australian public and that won’t change by organising more fixtures.

This is just a self fulfilling prophecy on the part of the NRL. Talk the international game down, say SOO is the pinnacle, make no effort to market or promote the 2017 World Cup, destroy the 2021 World Cup, sabotage things like the Denver Tests, try and replace full blown internationals with 9s etc. Then after all that complain about international RL not working. Well its no wonder. Its almost like they just want it to fail so that it cant possibly usurp SOO.

If we had seen the international game have a proper place and push things like a proper Pacific Cup with Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and PNG during 3 SOO standalone weekends and Australia playing GB when they toured then yes there could be substance to grievances about the international game. As it is it has barely got a chance and its a miracle it has grown like it has the last 15 years or so. That show the potential if the games major governing bodies actually got behind it..

Archived