Stadium updates .......

16 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Someone above already asked to keep this to League. Why continually drag it back to politics? 

Am sure there is a political forum for this stuff? Most of us don't care about your political views, or even know who you are talking about.

Thanks

Hardly qualifies as Political debate. Interesting Monicker - do you get to many games ? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

pretty much all modern stadiums below the championship just have one multifunctional stand with basic covered terracing/seating on the other sides of the ground, and in fairness that's all they need.

It could well be the description of 'one stand' that Derwent Parker keeps referring to has been slightly lost in translation in the council minutes. There's no way they are going to built a new grandstand at BP and leave the rest of the ground as it is, for a start there's no run off over the touchline, even at amateur level you need a 3 metre gap between the touchline and barriers.

There's also no 'in-goal' area for RL, so straight away the pitch isn't big enough - plus there's well known issues with the pitch drainage at BP, so I'm in no doubt the site will be raised to the ground and they will start from scratch with the new build (whatever that may be!) 

Let's hope there's some updates sooner rather than later.

I know some of the directors follow topics on this page and they will be as frustrated as everyone else at the lack of information being released

there isn't any drainage issues with the pitch at Borough Park tbf. agree it's obvious not big enough for rl and must be extended 

16 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Someone above already asked to keep this to League. Why continually drag it back to politics? 

Am sure there is a political forum for this stuff? Most of us don't care about your political views, or even know who you are talking about.

Thanks

Unfortunately politics plays a part in this discussion because the whole debate was caused by a political decision to abandon the previous Stadium redevelopment scheme.

• Like 4

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear, looks like we are moving to Borough Park then. If they are retaining the old terracing it's just gonna be a new stand on the old footprint. So much for the promises of a completely new stadium in the carneigie. 

We had a player carried off after colliding with the railings during our short time there so it clearly isn't big enough. 

I feared this would be the case. 

• Like 2

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

it literally says a "new shared stadium in the vision" the pitch at Borough Park isn't big enough for RL so it will have to be made bigger. 

The plans will include:  

The redevelopment of the existing footprint of Borough Park to create a new shared stadium for Workington Reds and Workington Town. It will provide a new modern stadium that will meet the aspirations of the clubs and provide a foundation for their future progression.  

The new facilities will be located close to Workington Leisure Centre where a new outdoor events space and outdoor gym has already been built. It is also near to the well-established cricket and bowling club so this area will become a hub of sporting excellence.  

Wider demand for high-quality playing pitches in Workington will not be met solely through the core shared stadium pitch alone so an integral part of the project will be the development of all weather community pitch facilities on Lonsdale Park, adjacent to Borough Park.  

Edited by rockerlad
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

it literally says a "new shared stadium in the vision" the pitch at Borough Park isn't big enough for RL so it will have to be made bigger. 

The plans will include:  

The redevelopment of the existing footprint of Borough Park to create a new shared stadium for Workington Reds and Workington Town. It will provide a new modern stadium that will meet the aspirations of the clubs and provide a foundation for their future progression.  

The new facilities will be located close to Workington Leisure Centre where a new outdoor events space and outdoor gym has already been built. It is also near to the well-established cricket and bowling club so this area will become a hub of sporting excellence.  

Wider demand for high-quality playing pitches in Workington will not be met solely through the core shared stadium pitch alone so an integral part of the project will be the development of all weather community pitch facilities on Lonsdale Park, adjacent to Borough Park.  

It also says.

Is this new stadium just a revamped Borough Park?
Situated on the Borough Park/Lonsdale Park site, and with over £6.4m currently invested in the stadium for phase 1, with additional funding for the community pitch, it is much more than a revamp. Until other stages are financed and completed it would make sense to retain some of the functionality of the site e.g., terracing.

So basically its a revamp with a training pitch.

• Like 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

It says "it's much more than a revamp" the pitch at Borough Park has to be extended as it isn't big enough for rl and the only way to do this would be to remove a few rows of terracing.

"retain some of the functionality of the site" 

you seeing what you want to see. 

Edited by rockerlad
  • Like 1

The artist impression on Cumbria crack shows the ground with the main stand running alongside black path, meaning the current pitch will be turned 90 degrees, hopefully with the website up and running full plans will be available sooner rather than later

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

It says "it's much more than a revamp" the pitch at Borough Park has to be extended as it isn't big enough for rl and the only way to do this would be to remove a few rows of terracing.

"retain some of the functionality of the site" 

you seeing what you want to see. 

On the contrary, I'm seeing exactly what I didn't want to see. In the carneigie a new stadium was promised to us, now they are admitting they are revamping Borough Park, otherwise they would have denied it was a revamp. Instead they are saying it is "much more than revamp" not a completely new stadium. They are even keeping terracing which proves it will be in the same footprint of Borough Park. 

I really wanted this to be a good thing for everyone and I wanted it to succeed.  But now to make it affordable they have changed their plans and I've changed my mind. Reds fans will have a very different view as they are getting a new stand on their ground.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Route66 said:

The artist impression on Cumbria crack shows the ground with the main stand running alongside black path, meaning the current pitch will be turned 90 degrees, hopefully with the website up and running full plans will be available sooner rather than later

The images on the website have the following caveat. 

PLEASE NOTE THESE IMAGES ARE INDICATIVE ONLY AND ARE NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF WHAT WILL BE THE FINAL PLAN 

3 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

The images on the website have the following caveat. 

PLEASE NOTE THESE IMAGES ARE INDICATIVE ONLY AND ARE NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF WHAT WILL BE THE FINAL PLAN 

I understand that statement but why show that rotation unless it's not the intention, probably from the reds point of view you could in theory start to build the new stand where the town end is whilst still using the rest of the ground, I will admit the football seems to have the better of the deal to start with but maybe it's time to move on similar to those comets fans who seem to be embracing their new home plans. Remember this stadium isnt intended for us old timers but for the future of local sports 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Route66 said:

I understand that statement but why show that rotation unless it's not the intention, probably from the reds point of view you could in theory start to build the new stand where the town end is whilst still using the rest of the ground, I will admit the football seems to have the better of the deal to start with but maybe it's time to move on similar to those comets fans who seem to be embracing their new home plans. Remember this stadium isnt intended for us old timers but for the future of local sports 

correct, the future of semi pro sport, somewhere for our youth and ladies sides to play. a facility that will be open 7 days a week

Edited by rockerlad

13 minutes ago, Route66 said:

I just don't know how you re-use terracing if it's in a different orientation. I think the original intention may have been to turn it through 90 degrees but maybe finances dictate that they now have to renovate the stadium. 

I've been behind the whole concept of the new stadium from the beginning. I thought the one scuppered by Mark Jenkinson would have been the catalyst in the health of future generations as it was a premium stadium. But now it seems to have been diluted down so much to the reality that we will be watching rugby in Borough Park with a new stand. Plans for other phases that may never come to fruition if funding can't be found may be pie in the sky in the current climate, and where does that leave the once grand project? Will a one sided stadium have the necessary positive impact on both clubs & the community? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

On the contrary, I'm seeing exactly what I didn't want to see. In the carneigie a new stadium was promised to us, now they are admitting they are revamping Borough Park, otherwise they would have denied it was a revamp. Instead they are saying it is "much more than revamp" not a completely new stadium. They are even keeping terracing which proves it will be in the same footprint of Borough Park. 

I really wanted this to be a good thing for everyone and I wanted it to succeed.  But now to make it affordable they have changed their plans and I've changed my mind. Reds fans will have a very different view as they are getting a new stand on their ground.

I said that all along - One new stand on site of original one that they took roof off instead of maintaining it?

I quoted the minutes on here Allerdale stated this and got shot down as a trouble maker by reds fans and DKW etc

Probably the **** low level seats too - absolutely ###### for watching Rugby.

Also too short for rugby - where players are still attempting tackles when over try line [need a run off area.]

Doesn't affect soccer as they have already dived and rolling around well before that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

I just don't know how you re-use terracing if it's in a different orientation. I think the original intention may have been to turn it through 90 degrees but maybe finances dictate that they now have to renovate the stadium. 

I've been behind the whole concept of the new stadium from the beginning. I thought the one scuppered by Mark Jenkinson would have been the catalyst in the health of future generations as it was a premium stadium. But now it seems to have been diluted down so much to the reality that we will be watching rugby in Borough Park with a new stand. Plans for other phases that may never come to fruition if funding can't be found may be pie in the sky in the current climate, and where does that leave the once grand project? Will a one sided stadium have the necessary positive impact on both clubs & the community? 

well said

On 12/01/2023 at 10:42, DocH said:

Hardly qualifies as Political debate. Interesting Monicker - do you get to many games ? 

Put it this way if you asked him to meet you at the Beck with yan packet of XLs and his Dookers on - he wouldn't have a clue what you were asking him.🤣

Edited by Mr Frisky
  • Haha 1

Something very dodgy here - i think Mr Creosote is involved - cos the stadium drawing looks like it was done by the same people who did his Christmas cards this year.

Not exactly the same standard as the plans he stopped - in fact nothing is the same as what he stopped other than the reds are getting a roof back and some real seats - unlike the current super stand they have with the old plastic canteen seats nailed till the terracing.

What a marvelous place BP is?

• Like 1

I have been saying right from the start, this whole scheme will only benefit the Reds, BP is not only hopeless but also dangerous for Rugby as people have alluded to in previous posts on here, Town sold down the river to get the Reds a roof on the stand. DP is by far a much better option, but I know there are problems to overcome to make that happen, but spend the money redeveloping DP and use the pitch area of BP as training facilities.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobg said:

I have been saying right from the start, this whole scheme will only benefit the Reds, BP is not only hopeless but also dangerous for Rugby as people have alluded to in previous posts on here, Town sold down the river to get the Reds a roof on the stand. DP is by far a much better option, but I know there are problems to overcome to make that happen, but spend the money redeveloping DP and use the pitch area of BP as training facilities.

you do realise the pitch at BP has to be made bigger for rugby league and that's a fact. the money also can't be spend anywhere else than on the BP site I'm struggling to see where people are getting this will just be a new stand and that's it. it doesn't state that anywhere on the website apart from phase 1 only. and the artists impress (yes I know that isn't detailed plans) clearly shows a fully developed stadium. this is probably the last chance. Towns chairman was in the press a few weeks ago stating town NEEDED this stadium to progress.

Edited by rockerlad
  • Like 2

It benefits Town by allowing the club to continue to exist, the board and everyone involved have told you time after time that if this doesn't happen then we will dissappear in a very short space of time.

If you think gambling on our entire future is worth staying at a disfunctional money pit then your deluding yourself.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

It benefits Town by allowing the club to continue to exist, the board and everyone involved have told you time after time that if this doesn't happen then we will dissappear in a very short space of time.

If you think gambling on our entire future is worth staying at a disfunctional money pit then your deluding yourself.

not only town, Reds as well. BP is a money pit.