Goalkickers - are they a waste of time?

There seems to be a trend now of goalkickers getting ready to take a kick at goal, and then waiting for the ref. to signal a minute is up before deigning to take the kick. Even then they take more seconds to compose themselves before taking the kick. This has just happened with Mason Lino for Wakefield, but the most outrageous one was from McNamara for Hull against Leeds last week when Hull were 30-0 up!! This blatant time wasting should be addressed- perhaps reduced to45 seconds?

The clock is stopped after 1 minute and then they can stand around as long as they want, if anything that benefits the opposition as well cos they get a longer rest. I don't see that it really matters seen as the rule is the same for both teams. They know the rule, they play it to their advantage as is the case with every rule in every sport. 

13 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The clock is stopped after 1 minute and then they can stand around as long as they want, if anything that benefits the opposition as well cos they get a longer rest. I don't see that it really matters seen as the rule is the same for both teams. They know the rule, they play it to their advantage as is the case with every rule in every sport. 

I guess your right but it isn't much fun for the fans watching.  So unless we don't care too much about the fans experience and entertainment then yep its part and parcel and have to put up with it.

Mind you if it and other things added together miff the fan one can always stop going... and yep it is a right pain as it adds to the stop start nature of a game which seems to be the experience sometimes.

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

There is a need for breaks in the game. Conversions, scrums and penalties all fill this need. We could set a 10 second time limit on all 3 but it won't make the game better, there will just be more game played. If anything it's likely to lead to a lower quality contest with players constantly gassed (see the six agains for example).

maybe but as an example a time limit was set on goal line drop outs as it was taking an overly long time sometimes in order to get air into the defending team. This to take away the advantage from a dominant team energy sapping the opposition.

The time taken by the Hull FC goal kicker at a recent game was ridiculous and if that becomes a trend then its a problem. 

The six again I dislike but that's another topic.

Is there a difference between the time allowed for a penalty kick and the minute allowed for a conversion? That Hull one was a penalty and at the time I thought it must be different between the two.

20 hours ago, meast said:

Not sure what you're asking here?

The ref stops the clock after 1 minuti, so not sure how they're time wasting?

If anything, it's their own time they're wasting.

The point I was making is from a fan’s point of view. We already have games lasting nearly 2 hours as it is without even more time wasting tactics like this.

after the try and all the hugging and kissing we then have to hang around for some bloke with an arthritic hip hobble across the field in pain with a kicking tee while the kicker awaits waitress surface to quench his thirst with yet another drinks break. Then the mandatory set up idiosyncracies no matter how simple the conversion.

Oh i forgot the added quality experience of waiting for the visually challenged referee to get help from the eye in the sky for anything other than a runaway try.

Colin Tyrer did have his problems….but nothing like what we have to go through in the new fast paced game that for some reason takes approximately twenty minutes longer to complete than it used to.

7 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

A time limit was set on dropouts as you say, to stop them reducing the advantage from a dominant team with repeat attacking sets. The same does not hold for conversions, the goalkicking team then receives a kick off so is therefore disadvantaging themselves by letting the defence rest.

Time wasting implies there's a competitive advantage to doing it. There is not. Players (on both teams) need rest at points though.

Yet again you are missing the point. It is the match being delayed for no good reason from a spectators point of view.

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

I personally think that players being sufficiently rested that they are able to execute skills is a very good reason. I don't want to see a game full of one out carries and missed tackles because every single break has been cut from the game. I'm pretty confident I'm not alone.

maybe you didn't experience the Hull FC overly long waits after the minute before attempting the conversions.   

I don’t really have issue with a kicker taking two minutes to line up a kick. It’s not that long. But it does annoy me that time is being taken off the playing clock for part of it.

My preference would be for the clock to stop at every break in play until the game is restarted. I mean between try and kick off. Knock on/forward pass and restart. Ball dead to drop out/tap restart. Ball finding touch and restart. Penalty and restart.

As a total guess, I reckon we could find at least seven/eight minutes a half in most games. Give me another fifteen minutes of game time any day.

Archived