Fri 1st-Sun 3rd Apr: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

I know I am going to get shot to pieces for this but I think referring is at an all time low, when you are looking at Kendall being one of the best referees it shows how bad it is. 
I have always liked Thaler as a referee but he was terrible today.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, JLandsman said:

I don’t think that the ref was arrogant at all. Stack carried on far too long having a go at the ref. Not like him, so something may have got to him, but as captain and an experienced player he should know when to stop. Maloudi was still having a go at the touch judge as he went off.  Of course the usual “refreshed” members of the crowd are convinced we was robbed.

I believe it was due to the fact of a comment by a Batley player, if that's the case then Stack had all the right in the world to defend his teammate as Captain and raise it.

6 hours ago, JLandsman said:

I don’t think that the ref was arrogant at all. Stack carried on far too long having a go at the ref. Not like him, so something may have got to him, but as captain and an experienced player he should know when to stop. Maloudi was still having a go at the touch judge as he went off.  Of course the usual “refreshed” members of the crowd are convinced we was robbed.

I believe it was due to the fact of a comment by a Batley player, if that's the case then Stack had all the right in the world to defend his teammate as Captain and raise it.

9 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

All of the training and all of that experience does not mean they are any good though. 

Take Mikalauskas as an example. He was a full time ref until this season, and probably received the very best training the RFL can offer, and he certainly has lots of experience, so what is his excuse for being so dreadful? Pauli Pauli commited 2 sending off offences in the recent York game at the Mount, he picked up suspensions for both incidents at the disciplinary panel, yet didn't get a card for either during the game, at a time when cards were being dished out like confetti.

I'm sure I could train really hard and be coached by some of the finest coaches in RL, it doesn't mean I'll be good enough to be making an appearance in the upcoming world cup does it?

I haven’t seen the incidents that you refer so don’t know exactly what they were and where and how they happened etc but when was the last time a player or a coach or a fan was perfect? Different standards are expected from Match Officials who actually do an excellent job and make less mistakes in a game than any player.

The original poster stated that the referee required more coaching. I would say that the players involved in today’s game and in the one you mention definitely need more coaching 

9 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

He can raise a concern but if the ref or other officials didn't see/hear anything there's not much they can do but include it in the match report for further investigation. The capt is allowed to ask for an explanation about a decision but can't dispute or argue it. 

On 30/03/2022 at 16:27, The Blues Ox said:

FRIDAY 1st APRIL
Leigh Centurions v Dewsbury Rams - Leigh by 70

SUNDAY 3rd APRIL
Barrow Raiders v Batley Bulldogs - Batley by 14
Featherstone Rovers v Sheffield Eagles - Fev by 20
Halifax Panthers v Whitehaven - Fax by 30
London Broncos v Bradford Bulls - Bradford by 16
Workington Town v York City Knights - York by 26

Not a bad effort, way out on the Leigh game and really surprised that London ran Bradford so close. It was an easy coupon to predict the winners though this week. 

The Fax game was a weird one, we pretty much dominated the first half but let in a couple of soft tries and then gave away a couple of freak full length tries when we had the ball on the Haven line. The second half we cut out the mistakes and it was one way traffic.

By round 10 the table should be taking shape, I still can't call tonights game but after that there is a good chance that Widnes could lose 3 on the bounce so it does make tonight a must win for them. For Barrow they have Fev, Fax, and York next up so its going to be tough for them to get anything out of those. Bradford's game against Fax looks a must win for them or they are really not going to fancy that trip up to Haven in 3 games time on the back of 2 losses. If Fax can sneak a win at Bradford we look to have a good chance of putting together 4 wins before a big clash against York that could go a long way to seeing which of those 2 teams can lay a big claim to 3rd spot.

At the other end if Worky get nothing from Haven or Dewsbury then its hard to see them staying up. They look way off the pace. London won't get anything from their next 2 games but then have Dewsbury and Newcastle so a good chance of picking up something from those two games. Haven have an awful run of fixtures after they play Worky so really need to win that game. Dewsbury are going to be targetting their home game against Worky in round 9 as a must win and if Newcastle do not win tonight they could get dragged in to the relegation battle as their next games are York(a), Sheffield (a), Halifax(h), London (a), Bradford(a), Fev(h) and other than London is hard to see them picking up many points there.

15 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Easy coupon this week. Giving Batley 8 and London 16 giving cash away. 

Glad Haven hung on and Sheffield but having 32 start helps. 

Will there be any standout bets this weekend?

Batley receiving 8 did look generous, especially after Barrow's efforts against Huddersfield.

Have London been underestimated also? 

3 hours ago, LeeF said:

I haven’t seen the incidents that you refer so don’t know exactly what they were and where and how they happened etc but when was the last time a player or a coach or a fan was perfect? Different standards are expected from Match Officials who actually do an excellent job and make less mistakes in a game than any player.

The original poster stated that the referee required more coaching. I would say that the players involved in today’s game and in the one you mention definitely need more coaching 

This is often the point made about criticising refereeing performances, but it's simply not true.  These fora are full of people criticising players & coaches and they are discussed in great depth, but it seems referees are above such scrutiny.  Now, I fully understand why people immediately leap to the defence of the ref, because 'without them, we don't have a game' and we need them.

But, this shouldn't protect them from criticism any more than players coaches ( and even fans) are protected from criticism.  It is entirely legitimate to comment on a blatant refereeing mistake, just as it is to criticise (for example) Brierley for his attempted tackle on Reece Lyne.

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

This is often the point made about criticising refereeing performances, but it's simply not true.  These fora are full of people criticising players & coaches and they are discussed in great depth, but it seems referees are above such scrutiny.  Now, I fully understand why people immediately leap to the defence of the ref, because 'without them, we don't have a game' and we need them.

But, this shouldn't protect them from criticism any more than players coaches ( and even fans) are protected from criticism.  It is entirely legitimate to comment on a blatant refereeing mistake, just as it is to criticise (for example) Brierley for his attempted tackle on Reece Lyne.

I disagree with your comment that there is no criticism of a “blatant refereeing mistake” on this forum. There have been numerous discussions and criticism just this season alone.
There has also been many more instances of general unwarranted rubbishing and criticising of decisions which is more the case in this instance. I notice that nobody has said that Brierley should be dropped to the Under 9s this week for his poor attempted tackle. 
I have never said that a Match Official is above criticism but they shouldn’t be blamed for all the faults of players & coaches which is what happens most of the time.

8 minutes ago, LeeF said:

I disagree with your comment that there is no criticism of a “blatant refereeing mistake” on this forum. There have been numerous discussions and criticism just this season alone.
There has also been many more instances of general unwarranted rubbishing and criticising of decisions which is more the case in this instance. I notice that nobody has said that Brierley should be dropped to the Under 9s this week for his poor attempted tackle. 
I have never said that a Match Official is above criticism but they shouldn’t be blamed for all the faults of players & coaches which is what happens most of the time.

All opinion, and one with which I disagree.  I appreciate there are those to whom the referee is the sole cause of their team's losses, but I'd say they are in the minority.  I have seen 'blatant refereeing mistakes' both in person and on television.  I have also seen 'blatant playing mistakes' both in person and on television. 

I see no reason why it's acceptable to criticise one and not the other?

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

All opinion, and one with which I disagree.  I appreciate there are those to whom the referee is the sole cause of their team's losses, but I'd say they are in the minority.  I have seen 'blatant refereeing mistakes' both in person and on television.  I have also seen 'blatant playing mistakes' both in person and on television. 

I see no reason why it's acceptable to criticise one and not the other?

Happy for you to disagree but struggling to understand what you are disagreeing with? Referees have been justly and unjustly criticised on this forum this season which was the essence of your original point.

Also re the bit in bold - where have I stated to the contrary? In fact I’ve actually stated the complete opposite 

4 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Happy for you to disagree but struggling to understand what you are disagreeing with? Referees have been justly and unjustly criticised on this forum this season which was the essence of your original point.

Also re the bit in bold - where have I stated to the contrary? In fact I’ve actually stated the complete opposite 

Fair enough, I'm not being deliberately argumentative, it's sort of the tone of some comments, such as;

'All referees at the level you were watching will have had many years of both experience and training. If players can’t keep their discipline that is their fault.'

that infer that the faults are always those of the players and never those of the officials.  I may have mis-interpreted your intention.  Apologies.

15 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Fair enough, I'm not being deliberately argumentative, it's sort of the tone of some comments, such as;

'All referees at the level you were watching will have had many years of both experience and training. If players can’t keep their discipline that is their fault.'

that infer that the faults are always those of the players and never those of the officials.  I may have mis-interpreted your intention.  Apologies.

Thank you.

There was no tone in my initial comments.

I was initially responding to a claim that referees did not get any training and lacked experience. Also if a player doesn’t commit a foul or an infringement then there is nothing for the referee to adjudicate on

15 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Thank you.

There was no tone in my initial comments.

I was initially responding to a claim that referees did not get any training and lacked experience. Also if a player doesn’t commit a foul or an infringement then there is nothing for the referee to adjudicate on

Im not sure the last statement is true, and this is one of the things people get frustrated about. Referees do indeed intervene when there was no infringement. Infrequently, but it happens and it really does frustrate fans when it happens. 

My point is that referees make mistakes like we all do, but when it affects the course of a game, it’s fine to comment upon it, much like it’s fine to comment on Leroy Rivett’s Wembley performance!

10 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Im not sure the last statement is true, and this is one of the things people get frustrated about. Referees do indeed intervene when there was no infringement. Infrequently, but it happens and it really does frustrate fans when it happens. 

My point is that referees make mistakes like we all do, but when it affects the course of a game, it’s fine to comment upon it, much like it’s fine to comment on Leroy Rivett’s Wembley performance!

I disagree with your first paragraph especially the last 2 sentences. Ideally an example of intervention when there was no infringement would assist. Fans feeling that frustrated by an unwarranted, in their eyes, intervention are very few and far and usually, based on my experience, being due to them not understanding or missing something. 

Re your last paragraph - I have still never said that anyone can’t criticise a referee’s performance. All I have ever asked is that it fair, appropriate and built on evidence

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

I disagree with your first paragraph especially the last 2 sentences. Ideally an example of intervention when there was no infringement would assist. Fans feeling that frustrated by an unwarranted, in their eyes, intervention are very few and far and usually, based on my experience, being due to them not understanding or missing something. 

Re your last paragraph - I have still never said that anyone can’t criticise a referee’s performance. All I have ever asked is that it fair, appropriate and built on evidence

Fair enough. 

21 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

I know I am going to get shot to pieces for this but I think referring is at an all time low, when you are looking at Kendall being one of the best referees it shows how bad it is. 
I have always liked Thaler as a referee but he was terrible today.

Why don't you apply to train to be a referee?

All you need is to be willing to start at the bottom, keep yourself fit and learn the laws of the game inside out, get up early at weekends, drive to the back and beyond by yourself, ref on poor muddy pitches while you get personal abuse from the sidelines and sometimes from the players..

Then when you make it to the top after 5 to 10 years of that you can do the same on less muddy pitches but get the same abuse from larger numbers of  fans on the sidelines, players and on the Internet forums and social media.....

Go on give it a go.

You know your not cut out to be a ref when officiating your own sons match ( coach as well ) and your own teams players parents ( including the wife ) are singing " the referee's a ****** " 🤔

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Why don't you apply to train to be a referee?

All you need is to be willing to start at the bottom, keep yourself fit and learn the laws of the game inside out, get up early at weekends, drive to the back and beyond by yourself, ref on poor muddy pitches while you get personal abuse from the sidelines and sometimes from the players..

Then when you make it to the top after 5 to 10 years of that you can do the same on less muddy pitches but get the same abuse from larger numbers of  fans on the sidelines, players and on the Internet forums and social media.....

Go on give it a go.

At 57 probably a bit late now

Archived