Sat 4th-Sun5th Jun: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Not surprised that Keighley won but very surprised at the margin. I have seen Hurricanes play NWC, and Keighley, and saw NWC play in the Challenge Cup. Either NWC played their worst game in the last 5 years, or Keighley are putting down a real marker for finishing top of the division, they certainly have the players to do it. 

Fair play to Cougars...best team by a mile today. Some excellent rugby league from a well drilled squad. Can't see anyone beating them on that form.

We were pretty ordinary today and struggled to do anything with the possession we did have.

Let's hope it's something our lads will learn from.

Well done Cougars.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

. Either NWC played their worst game in the last 5 years, or Keighley are putting down a real marker for finishing top of the division

I think some of both, they were great, we were totally not...on reflection I wonder how much the break didn't suit us. If Muzza doesn't put a rocket up their backsides after that, there's something wrong...we were out-everythinged today, good and proper.

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Not wishing to incur the ire of those involved with,or associated with,Midlands Hurricanes, one could be excused for stating the attempted conversions were sub par. 

The rest of the Keighley Cougars performance was, perhaps,the best of the season,thus far.

Dane Chisholm displayed a wide range of skills.

Incredible story emerging of course.The owner,and his family,denied a place in Super League, back in the 1990's,returning to the club after decades when the governing body allowed some unsavoury owners,at Keighley, and now further success a possibility.

One cannot of course,libel a deceased person.

If only journalists wrote stories of interest...

Credit to the disappointed Crusaders fans who remained till the end and sang to raise the spirits of their players while the Cougars followers celebrated.

I wasn't too pleased seeing forward passes in the build up to the last 2 Crusaders tries - but after the farce of the last visit to Wales - it will be quickly forgotten.

Important games ahead for both clubs.I wouldn't object if both are promoted.Long way to go...

Maybe a 3 weeks lay off isn't the best way to prepare for a high intensity game.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Credit to the disappointed Crusaders fans who remained till the end and sang to raise the spirits of their players while the Cougars followers celebrated.

I wasn't too pleased seeing forward passes in the build up to the last 2 Crusaders tries - but after the farce of the last visit to Wales - it will be quickly forgotten.

In fairness we didn't have a great deal to celebrate....and the Keighley fans were loud and proud and got behind their team as expected excellent

As for forward passes - they weren't confined to one team! The first Cougars try was a good example!

Best wishes to Keighley Cougars, have a great season, but I hope we can return the favour at your place!

• Like 2

Although it was a terrible display by the Cru, I suspect that even at our best Keighley would have won, albeit by a much smaller margin. Very impressed by the way they worked together, I reckon that all that's needed there is a couple of big forwards and the Championship will hold no fears. My highlights? A tasty sausage, bacon and egg bap and a very nice 70th. birthday card.

• Like 2

Some win for Skolars against a Cornwall side that is packed with experienced players and more so with three sin-binned. It could well be three in the row with a game against West Wales next. 

Edited by Jughead

Just got home from North Wales and would like to thank all the welsh supporters for making us feel so welcome. You are indeed a friendly bunch.

Yesterday wasn't your day, but I'm sure you'll regroup and come back stronger.

Good luck for the rest of the season (Obviously ex at CP)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very good performance by a depleted Hurricanes side today. Dominated the Raiders pack in challenging conditions and were really clinical in attack. A young Coventry Bears junior James Phillips, just 18 years old, made his debut today and scored twice. 

• Like 4

The win takes Hurricanes above Oldham in the table and we play there next week. If we win that one I think it can be taken as a sign of good progress in the quest to get involved with the top half of League 1.

Great start by James Phillips and a few others were contenders for MoM but a good team performance right from the start meant it was only ever going to end one way today. 

• Like 1