Missing a 2nd row and a winger

12 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

So come Mr Frisky, where’s your list of the players in contention for each position, it’s easy to post a stupid emoticon but where’s your ideas on who’s a potential player for England

Your a bit frisky lad.. in answer to your question- more or less the same as you but with Hastings alongside lomax (but Gale all day long for Lomax if he gets his form back)

McMeeken alongside Whitehead with Farrel on the bench.

Happy with that?

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Where’s your full list of position by position options?

If Welsby doesn’t play Full back he may well find himself at Left Centre

Chris McQueen is Australian first and English second, he’ll have to get past that before Wane will pick him

Don't have a nailed-down list.

As long as they are fit, Bateman will be on the right and Whitehead on the left.

Welsby would be better at right centre, and Percival and Farnworth would get in ahead of him at left centre. I think I'd probably go with Welsby as an impact sub, if I'm being honest.

McQueen has been one of the standout players and has played for England. He's surely in contention for a squad place.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I don’t get the Smithies selection, he’s just not shown the levels required and I’d question his temperament for matches against Australia, NZ & Tonga

Smithies has been brilliant this season. The focus has obviously been on the high tackles in the Grand Final but that has unfairly overshadowed what was a standout performance.

80 minutes

61 tackles (game high)

102 metres

1 try assist

His issue is undoubtedly his discipline but people seem to ignore his talent because he's a) been around for so long (still only 21) and b) is a grub.

Westerman is a very good Super League 13 but he'd get bowled over physically and athletically at that level.

Edited by Ray Cashmere
  • Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 14:42, JM2010 said:

I've been picking an England 13 in my head but I can't think who to play in one of the 2nd row spots and one of the wings.

I've got Whitehead and Makinson but can't decide who plays the other side 

Is it me or are we a bit short of quality 2nd rowers at the moment?

There's 2 quality, on form back rowers in a top side at the moment that would be more than good enough for England, not to mention a quality winger, proven at international level, who is still capable of performing at the top level, not to mention his centre partner either!

But they don't play for a big club or an NRL club.

22 hours ago, Jughead said:

What about them? None are in the same league presently. The closest is probably Young. 

Nowhere near international standard, plus he's Jamaican 🙂 

Interestingly, if Dom was still a Huddersfield player would he be getting mentioned as an England player?

Edited by meast
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, OMEGA said:

England Positional Choices

Full Back: Tomkins / Welsby / Evalds / Connor 

Right Wing: Makinson / Davies / Ashton / Young

Right Centre: Welsby / Wardle / Handley / Lynne

Left Centre: Farnworth / Percival / Newman / King

Left Wing: McGilvary / Johnstone / Marshall

Stand Off: Williams / Price / Widdop 

Scrum Half: Lewis / Lomax / Smith / Russell

Prop: Walmsley / Oledski / Watts / Havard 

Hooker: Clarke / McShane / Dwyer / Powell 

Prop: T Burgess / Thompson / Lees / English / Hill

Right Second: Whitehead / Batchelor / Farrell / 

Left Second Row: McMeeken / Currie / Gannon / Bateman 

Loose Forward: Knowles / Westerman / Sutton 

Might as well not bother then 🙂 

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Let’s see other peoples list of players position by position

At this moment in time providing they're all fit and ready

Full back- Tomkins, Welsby, Widdop, Connor

Wingers- McGillvary, Hall, Makinson, Davies, Marshall, Johnstone, 

Centres- Percival, Farnworth, Wardle, Welsby, Newman, Connor, Cudjoe

Halves- Smith, Widdop, Lomax, Tomkins, Connor

Props- Thompson, Walmsley, Singleton, Burgess, Watts, Lees, Oledski

Hooker- Leeming, Clark, McShane, 

2nd row- Whitehead, Farrell, Bateman, Jones, McQueen, Whitley, McMeekan

Loose forward- Knowles, Sutton, Yates (It's who I would pick and I would be doing everything to get him in)

• Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 16:54, Ray Cashmere said:

Fullback: its just going to be Tomkins lets face it

have already got images of him limping off with that dejected look on his face as we get another towelling and the commentators saying how disappointing it must be for him 

• Confused 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, meast said:

Interestingly, if Dom was still a Huddersfield player would he be getting mentioned as an England player?

Who knows how he’d have done in a Huddersfield shirt. The little we saw, he looked good. He’s done well at Newcastle, too. He’s still someway clear of both Johnstone (injured again) and Handley this year. 

3 hours ago, meast said:

Can’t have a thread without the obligatory Huddersfield why does nobody like us post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meast said:

Nowhere near international standard

looks the part but way off the mark in so many areas- his clumsy performance the last time i watched him was testament to that

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, meast said:

Will Pryce is being mentioned as an England player while at Huddersfield, why would Dom Young not be?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 hours ago, meast said:

There's 2 quality, on form back rowers in a top side at the moment that would be more than good enough for England, not to mention a quality winger, proven at international level, who is still capable of performing at the top level, not to mention his centre partner either!

But they don't play for a big club or an NRL club.

Name them 

8 hours ago, meast said:

Will Pryce is nowhere near either.

I didn't realise that was the point you were making.

I thought you suggesting that Young wouldn't be being talked about for England if he were still at Huddersfield and yet the fact that Pryce is being talked about (whether they are ready or not) shows that he would be.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 hours ago, meast said:

It's a simple question, if Dom Young played for Huddersfield would he be talked up as an international?

I don’t know about ifs , but I know that he is playing regularly and doing well in a far superior completion and he’s improving rapidly . He has good qualities and all the physical  attributes you want . if commits to England , and he continues as he is now , I don’t know why he wouldn’t be bang in the mix . He’s holding his own against the top players we’ll be up against 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t know about ifs , but I know that he is playing regularly and doing well in a far superior completion and he’s improving rapidly . He has good qualities and all the physical  attributes you want . if commits to England , and he continues as he is now , I don’t know why he wouldn’t be bang in the mix . He’s holding his own against the top players we’ll be up against 

And we will never know for sure as it is purely hypothetical but I am very confident that if a player talented enough to hold down a regular first grade spot in the NRL before his 21st birthday was playing in the Super League then, yes, he would be being spoken about for England.

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I didn't realise that was the point you were making.

I thought you suggesting that Young wouldn't be being talked about for England if he were still at Huddersfield and yet the fact that Pryce is being talked about (whether they are ready or not) shows that he would be.

Neither of them are ready for international rugby yet IMO.

My point about Dom is that he's only talked about because he plays in the NRL, if he played regularly for Huddersfield he more than likely wouldn't get mentioned.

Pryce is only mentioned because of the hype.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, meast said:

Neither of them are ready for international rugby yet IMO.

My point about Dom is that he's only talked about because he plays in the NRL, if he played regularly for Huddersfield he more than likely wouldn't get mentioned.

Pryce is only mentioned because of the hype.

I don't really follow your logic on this one.

Pryce is being mentioned for England, because the hype, and yet a player good enough to secure a regular NRL spot at 20 wouldn't be mentioned.

If Dominic Young were playing on the wing (or even centre) in this Giants side I think he would be having a great season and quite rightly be in the England mix.

Ah well, it's just hypotheticals.

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

In terms of the backline, I'd go:

- Percival and Makinson wingers

- Welsby and Farnworth centres

Young/Handley in the frame too dependent on how they go. Percival has been playing on the wing for Saints recently anyway.

Percival maybe one of our best centre options but playing on the wing,give over.

• Like 1