Refereeing

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Behave,the sport is in big trouble if you start penalising tackles like that.he didn’t flip the attacker who never went anywhere near the vertical.

The ball carrier ended up behind the tackler, head first in to the ground. He literally flipped him, unless the ball carrier was somehow taking the ball in while doing a hand stand. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The ball carrier ended up behind the tackler, head first in to the ground. He literally flipped him, unless the ball carrier was somehow taking the ball in while doing a hand stand. 

I really don’t know which game you were watching but it obviously wasn’t the Panthers/Roosters one.

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I really don’t know which game you were watching but it obviously wasn’t the Panthers/Roosters one.

The human body is not designed to bend at the angle that the attackers did. Now personally I do not think it should have been a penalty as its a pure accident but I do think the defender should be spoke to about his technique as it were his poor technique that placed the attacker in a dangerous position in trying to execute what essentially should have been a pretty standard roll type tackle. Certainly nothing textbook about the tackle.

• Confused 1

Graham Annesley on the Verrills tackle 

"In the history of the game, most would agree that it is a copybook around-the-legs tackle," he said. 

"We don't believe there is any reason why this tackle should have been penalised." 

The six again rule near your own line  is also  in the news . 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

On 02/07/2022 at 18:22, The Blues Ox said:

This is the best take of it on this thread. No problem with Fax 2 red cards but Miloudi should have been a red as well and it all could have been avoided by stronger refereeing. The fact is even when Worthington was standing up in a position to play the ball the ref had still not blown for any foul play and it was only after Worthington took matters in his own hands that the whistle went. We now lose 2 players for a combined nearly half of the season.

31 players in the match managed not to get binned or sent off. The 3 who did have themselves to blame, not the ref. I doubt the ref blowing his whistle would have stopped Worthington seeing red and picking up a potentially injured player is just stupidity and not the refs fault either.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

"In the history of the game, most would agree

Well whatever the outcome, "most would agree" in RL that would be historic, freakish, astonishing!

And was he assuming he could speak for us all or is he a telepath?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

Well whatever the outcome, "most would agree" in RL that would be historic, freakish, astonishing!

And was he assuming he could speak for us all or is he a telepath?

Yes I was shocked by that statement . He obviously should have said all would agree 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes I was shocked by that statement . He obviously should have said all would agree 

No I think we all agree that we want the ref to make the decisions even those we don't like or agree with.

We especially agree that player's welfare comes first.

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Graham Annesley on the Verrills tackle 

"In the history of the game, most would agree that it is a copybook around-the-legs tackle," he said. 

"We don't believe there is any reason why this tackle should have been penalised." 

The six again rule near your own line  is also  in the news . 

The one Hunt got away with at the end shows how much the 6 again rule is flawed,should have been a penalty & a sin bin,really feel sorry for the Raiders on this occasion but we see this happening all to often in the last minute of games.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

The one Hunt got away with at the end shows how much the 6 again rule is flawed,should have been a penalty & a sin bin,really feel sorry for the Raiders on this occasion but we see this happening all to often in the last minute of games.

I’ve talked about this a few times . It’s becoming very tedious indeed . An extra tackle or two just isn’t a deterrent or a punishment . And in a situation like this with a team 2 points down it’s highlighted again . It really is evidently flawed and repeatedly abused . Quite a lot near the line are really professional fouls 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oxford said:

No I think we all agree that we want the ref to make the decisions even those we don't like or agree with.

We especially agree that player's welfare comes first.

No getting it right by the laws comes first . Player welfare doesn’t mean working back from an injury or consequence to find something to penalise , which happens too much 

On 02/07/2022 at 12:12, Davo5 said:

If you think that refereeing was bad (which is debatable) you should have watched Sutton in yesterday’s Panthers/Roosters game,now that was abysmal especially as he’s their golden boy & is likely to be a World Cup official.

Aussie refs are overrated.

My money would be on that Aussie refs on average make more mistakes a game than British refs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Aussie refs are overrated.

My money would be on that Aussie refs on average make more mistakes a game than British refs.

The Bunker has had an adverse effect on referees in my opinion . It’s a stifling presence overseeing them , but it’s also a comfort blanket. I think the negatives outweigh the positives now . It’s just too much of a factor and influence in games , distorts the spectacle , and detracts from the officials just officiating the game as we search for decision making perfection . Ironically I don’t think it helps onfield officials just do their job 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No getting it right by the laws comes first . Player welfare doesn’t mean working back from an injury or consequence to find something to penalise , which happens too much 

Yes and he ended up being thrown onto his head that means accordinding to the Laws of the Game that he was put in danger.

The link between rules and safety has to be the primary thing.

Now taking your example I would ref like the one in the game you would ref like his critics. This is okay in the sense that it's interpretation but if all the refs take your ruling as the one they'd follow there is a logical conclusion that players would be less safe.

I don't think anyone is saying working back from the injury except yourself David.

• Confused 1

Sorry, another shameless plug for one of our shows with former ref, sorry 😁😁😁😁

Referee decisions is always a hot topic, how bad can it get? Well if you hear police 👮 tell you they cannot guarantee your safety it's pretty bad! 🤬

Then your settling into a Grand Final as video ref when within seconds you see a vicious pair of punches and your suddenly involved in a major decision 😲

Delve into the mind of a Super League Ref and hear first hand what it's like to be in the middle of these top players 

19 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

31 players in the match managed not to get binned or sent off. The 3 who did have themselves to blame, not the ref. I doubt the ref blowing his whistle would have stopped Worthington seeing red and picking up a potentially injured player is just stupidity and not the refs fault either.

Did you watch the incident? Did you see the 2 feet off the ground lunge by Miloudi? If the officials call that I really doubt the fight breaks out and while I agree all 3 are to blame I also think the officials could have been quicker to act and they also made a mistake. It also won't alter my view that Miloudi got everything that was coming to him and as the old saying goes if the officials won't look after our players they will have to look after themselves.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Did you watch the incident? Did you see the 2 feet off the ground lunge by Miloudi? If the officials call that I really doubt the fight breaks out and while I agree all 3 are to blame I also think the officials could have been quicker to act and they also made a mistake. It also won't alter my view that Miloudi got everything that was coming to him and as the old saying goes if the officials won't look after our players they will have to look after themselves.

Im not sure the original incident was that bad, it's a tough game and players accept some of these dark arts or not so dark in some cases! 

This is very simple to me, a tight game, tense and it escalates into a fight, all players involved punished.

Easy to say afterwards if ref had stepped in it wouldn't have happened, how many times do you see this ###### for that and it's only leads to pushing?

Players are responsible for their actions not the ref.

I have no issue with the incident (as it's 6 of one etc. And not a single player trying to bully or apply plain thuggery) it will occasionally happen, take your punishment and move on IMO.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

There must be four or five threads going now about an incident that's been and gone and all parties punished accordingly.

The ongoing sense of grievance has been noted but it will change nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Im not sure the original incident was that bad, it's a tough game and players accept some of these dark arts or not so dark in some cases! 

I think its at the very least enough for a penalty. The fact is you can not tackle someone round the head and you certainly cant jump in to a tackle to do that and I think it should have been picked up on. The worrying thing is that no official deemed any of the incidents prior to a punch being thrown as worthy of a penalty.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think its at the very least enough for a penalty. The fact is you can not tackle someone round the head and you certainly cant jump in to a tackle to do that and I think it should have been picked up on. The worrying thing is that no official deemed any of the incidents prior to a punch being thrown as worthy of a penalty.

Understand but I also see the other side.

Refs often blamed for stopping the flow of the game, let them get on with it, they just getting stuck in etc. Often the situation doesn't escalate, but sometimes it does.

I accept occasionally it happens, maybe partly due to refs maybe not but it happens👍 how often have you read about the refs sanitising the game too much ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

This is very simple to me, a tight game, tense and it escalates into a fight, all players involved punished.

Easy to say afterwards if ref had stepped in it wouldn't have happened, how many times do you see this ###### for that and it's only leads to pushing?

Players are responsible for their actions not the ref.

I have no issue with the incident (as it's 6 of one etc. And not a single player trying to bully or apply plain thuggery) it will occasionally happen, take your punishment and move on IMO.

The bit in bold 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The 2 refs involved in last weeks controversial NRL games,Sutton & Gough have been stood down this week after refs boss Graham Annesley admits & issues apologies for their mistakes.

Gough looked like a rabbit in the headlights there , fortunately for the Dragons . He genuinely seemed to cop out of making that decision rather than missing it as it was literally right in front of him , and he’d copped out of other big calls . Sutton is just ready for his coat and retirement card