Jump to content

Sat 9th-Sun 10th Jul: The Betfred League One Match Thread


Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, FearNothing said:

good job you didn't see one of the "wobble" games 🤣

They seem to have a couple of wobble games each season - really surprised as last year & this year they were up there with the best opposition i’ve watched.

Is there any obvious reason for the wobble? 

Edited by dead man inc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

They seem to have a couple of wobble games each season - really surprised as last year & this year they were up there with the best opposition i’ve watched.

Is there any obvious reason for the wobble? 

Same with most teams in L1, injuries, others unavailable, playing out of position, etc., etc., not massive squads or strength in depth in most positions, hell we played one game with no natural wingers on the pitch!! Just wish we'd have had the wobbles against WWR, Cornwall and Skolars rather than Donny, Hunslet and Cougars, we probably would have won them even if playing below par...

  • Thanks 1

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Think it shows why sadly a few teams should not be in the structure. 

I think that’s somewhat harsh. 

The “offenders” are two very small clubs who receive little to no help whatsoever from the sport, located hundreds of miles from the games traditional areas. There’s also the non-RL related issues that I seem to remember were previously cited when West Wales postponed a game earlier this year around doctors numbers, staffing and other socio-economic issues. 

Arguably (well, I’d argue it, not sure many others would), Skolars are a more valuable asset to the sport than some of their opponents in League One (and probably a few in the Championship) with a pathway, community work, a couple of assets to their name, the added bonus of being located some way away from the majority of teams and having relationships within the City of London and some large companies. A quick look at their planned opponents for this weekend Keighley and looking at their website (this may not be correct because I’m just going off their website and if it isn’t, that’s also not very good) there is no mention of pathways, nothing about any links to community works, I can’t decipher who owns their ground (Wiki says Keighley do) or if they have any assets whatsoever. I appreciate that someone appears to be financing Keighley reasonably well (Chisholm, Trout, Pettybourne, Sa’u) but is that really enough if there are to be such momentous changes to the game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

I think that’s somewhat harsh. 

The “offenders” are two very small clubs who receive little to no help whatsoever from the sport, located hundreds of miles from the games traditional areas. There’s also the non-RL related issues that I seem to remember were previously cited when West Wales postponed a game earlier this year around doctors numbers, staffing and other socio-economic issues. 

Arguably (well, I’d argue it, not sure many others would), Skolars are a more valuable asset to the sport than some of their opponents in League One (and probably a few in the Championship) with a pathway, community work, a couple of assets to their name, the added bonus of being located some way away from the majority of teams and having relationships within the City of London and some large companies. A quick look at their planned opponents for this weekend Keighley and looking at their website (this may not be correct because I’m just going off their website and if it isn’t, that’s also not very good) there is no mention of pathways, nothing about any links to community works, I can’t decipher who owns their ground (Wiki says Keighley do) or if they have any assets whatsoever. I appreciate that someone appears to be financing Keighley reasonably well (Chisholm, Trout, Pettybourne, Sa’u) but is that really enough if there are to be such momentous changes to the game?

https://keighleycougars.uk/keighley-etp#:~:text=KEIGHLEY Cougars can today confirm,and development of each individual.

https://keighleycougars.uk/keighley-cougars-college-partnership

  • Like 2

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I went back a few months on their news section, there’s no mention of anything of the sort occurring or any dedicated section on their website for it, which is poor. Why are these things basically a secret?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You had to be there. All the tries bar one were scored at the uphill end of the ground !

Not another ground with an Hill? Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Keighley awarded a 48-0 win

It couldn't have been anything else. Once that approach had been taken with West Wales when they had the same issue against Doncaster earlier in the year, the RFL had to be consistent here.

However, if this could become a regular problem, perhaps extra help needs to be put in place for clubs in areas where there aren't a lot of doctors who are signed off by the RFL

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may be wrong but think the doctor gets something like £4/500 for attending the game. That's a decent rate for a short weekend session with food and drink thrown in (?) 

How much does it cost / how much effort needed to pass the RFL's qualification? Could the sport offer this for free?

Might be worthwhile calling local surgeries / hospitals and asking if anyone is interested in gaining an extra string to their bow with the potential of earning a few bob on occasional weekends...

I'm just thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to grow the pool of qualified doctors.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

I may be wrong but think the doctor gets something like £4/500 for attending the game. That's a decent rate for a short weekend session with food and drink thrown in (?) 

How much does it cost / how much effort needed to pass the RFL's qualification? Could the sport offer this for free?

Might be worthwhile calling local surgeries / hospitals and asking if anyone is interested in gaining an extra string to their bow with the potential of earning a few bob on occasional weekends...

I'm just thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to grow the pool of qualified doctors.

 

One of my wife’s colleagues does the football game day doctor equivalent - i don’t know how much the RFL course costs, but she also has to pay out about £2000 a year for the necessary game day insurance (this is doctor specific and covers the doctor not the club). With only 2 semi professional rugby league games a week at most in London i can’t see many doctors willing to pay for it unless they have already got sone kind of regular commitment from Broncos/Skolars. It’s also interesting to note that Skolars mentioned Eid as a reason for not being able to secure a replacement doctor - my wife’s college told her that they earned £1500 on the Eid Saturday covering a NHS shift through an agency!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/07/2022 at 22:58, robt said:

...The red card incident must have been something pretty bad dissent wise.

The disciplinary has recorded it as 'Homophobic Abuse'. Not sure who it was aimed at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

It was. The identity of the individual should remain undisclosed however.

 

18 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

The disciplinary has recorded it as 'Homophobic Abuse'. Not sure who it was aimed at.

Yeah, I've heard mention of who and what, and being bluntly honest, it has no place anywhere.

Looking at the disciplinary, a Grade F is an 8 game minimum, isn't it?

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, robt said:

 

Yeah, I've heard mention of who and what, and being bluntly honest, it has no place anywhere.

Looking at the disciplinary, a Grade F is an 8 game minimum, isn't it?

I hope so. When the game is striving to be as inclusive as possible then morons like this need to be held to account.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...