Wolves sign Josh McGuire

In my view, the fact that the panel in both cases were happy to place into the notes that they concluded that McGuire was not telling the truth is incredibly telling.

They could have focused purely on the credibility / believability of the witnesses for the 'prosecution' but they chose to explicitly state both times that McGuire was lying.  This tells me that the witnesses and their testimony must have been so overwhelming and clear that the decision was the proverbial 'no brainer'. 

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

If McGuire feels he has a case, he can appeal....and should. He does however, need to be very sure of his grounds for doing so, not based on what forum members think, but based on due process and evidence.  For sure, though, he's going to be on the end of some subtle sledging and up-winding when he eventually retakes the field.

15 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

That farcical and ill-thought-out report leaves more questions than answers.

They still haven't said what word they found him guilty of using.

Generally they don't publish publicly things that could be deemed to contravene the law unnecessarily. 

My take on those notes is, they believed Charnley. He was consistent in his account, and didn’t come across as a BS merchant. But they also appreciated the fact that he could’ve been honest in his report and simply misheard.

Crucially, they didn’t believe McGuire, and Kasiano did him no favours and the defence arguement had inconsistencies. Had he simply said he only called him a rat and not brought his team mates into it or claimed he’d never say such things. He’d probably have created enough doubt. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Over the last several years, I have probably disagreed with the majority of people on this thread (in a good natured way of course).

If multiple come to the same conclusion and offer up the same opinion, it can in fact be something other than 'groupthink'.

Shall we link him to the Leeds vs Cas/McDonnell thread 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

If McGuire feels he has a case, he can appeal....and should. He does however, need to be very sure of his grounds for doing so, not based on what forum members think, but based on due process and evidence.  For sure, though, he's going to be on the end of some subtle sledging and up-winding when he eventually retakes the field.

That's what will put an end to this one way or another if he appeals,he would obviously take legal advice.

7 minutes ago, Gavin Harrison said:

Read the contributions. Read the reactions to those who do not immediately comply. Groupthink.

Out of interest, can you explain the difference between groupthink and majority opinion.  It couldn't just be as simple as which opinion you agree with could it.  Could it?

• Thanks 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If you have two pieces of evidence, one that matches what you can see on video review, and one that has changed from previous accounts given, and "feels contrived", then you can, legally speaking, dismiss the latter as nonsense.

All cases of presenting evidence are about proving credibility. Charnley did, it seems he was authentic and came across that way. McGuire came across as a liar - which is why most defence lawyers advise no comment responses because you only make yourself look worse and less believable when you are lying.

There is NO evidence.

It is he said she said.

That cannot possibly meet any burden of proof.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If you have two pieces of evidence, one that matches what you can see on video review, and one that has changed from previous accounts given, and "feels contrived", then you can, legally speaking, dismiss the latter as nonsense.

All cases of presenting evidence are about proving credibility. Charnley did, it seems he was authentic and came across that way. McGuire came across as a liar - which is why most defence lawyers advise no comment responses because you only make yourself look worse and less believable when you are lying.

I am not a lawyer so as a punter you would expect the professionals to eventually sort this out. The ball's in McGuire's court, if he.is adamant he is innocent he has to appeal,if he doesn't no matter what he may say he legally labelled an unbelievable witness(I wasn't sure I could use the single word).

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Out of interest, can you explain the difference between groupthink and majority opinion.  It couldn't just be as simple as which opinion you agree with could it.  Could it?

I think it's probably the tone of some responses to posters who view things differently than the majority

2 minutes ago, Gavin Harrison said:

There is NO evidence.

It is he said she said.

That cannot possibly meet any burden of proof.

It can absolutely, especially if you're pretty certain one person is a liar.

4 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I am not a lawyer so as a punter you would expect the professionals to eventually sort this out. The ball's in McGuire's court, if he.is adamant he is innocent he has to appeal,if he doesn't no matter what he may say he legally labelled an unbelievable witness(I wasn't sure I could use the single word).

They have, the tribunal is chaired by a QC and Maguire had legal representation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its not an brilliant write up, but its clear:

"The Tribunal reminded itself of the burden of proof. The RFL must prove the case and whilst the Tribunal acknowledged that the standard of proof should be somewhere between the balance of probabilities and beyond reasonable doubt, the Tribunal concluded that bearing in mind the seriousness of the allegation, the Tribunal would only find the case proved if they reached a high standard approximate to beyond reasonable doubt. Nothing less would do."

Nothing less would do, and yet it did do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Read the contributions. I can only see two people questioning. anything. Both without any grounds labelled as defending McGuire.

Numerous reasonings offered for this non compliance.

Groupthink

I know I can Google it but very lazy.  Did McGuire appeal the previous decision/ban?

29 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In my view, the fact that the panel in both cases were happy to place into the notes that they concluded that McGuire was not telling the truth is incredibly telling.

They could have focused purely on the credibility / believability of the witnesses for the 'prosecution' but they chose to explicitly state both times that McGuire was lying.  This tells me that the witnesses and their testimony must have been so overwhelming and clear that the decision was the proverbial 'no brainer'. 

Having found him guilty, they have to justify it....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I think it's probably the tone of some responses to posters who view things differently than the majority

Please take this in the spirit is intended, but I think you are being rather thin-skinned to people disagreeing with you on this. The tone of this discussion has been really civil for such a contentious subject.

I've had a skim read through the early pages again before posting this, but I don't see the attitudes to you that you claim. One of the most antagonistic posts was on page 4 where you brought "woke" and "idiot" into the discussion. 

Personally I think it has been a decent thread with plenty of good posts and interesting views presented. 

Most of the "attacks" are against the majority view, beibg accused of group think. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Gavin Harrison said:

Having found him guilty, they have to justify it....

That's usually how it works yes.

• Like 1