Wolves sign Josh McGuire

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Do you think McGuire is the only person who will make these comments or act differently to Charnley and his child because of a disability? Is this really isolated?

Do you think Charnley has had the same language directed at him but turned the other cheek, but specifically reported McGuire?

42 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Aussies are more forward. McGuire will have just been bantering and would have had no issue with apologising, I am sure. He's tough but not a nasty guy at all off the field.

I am sad at the response to this ''NON STORY'', as Lewis Schafer might put it.

Would you simply accept an apology if somebody insulted a family member of yours?

You accept a man insult another mans infant son as "banter"? 

You aren't well mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think some people are missing the point of this.

This difference between a physical act and this are the the further only affects one player and the latter affected many. The ramifications for letting this kind of thing slide affect a huge group of people who are already struggling through no fault of their own. It's not "just a word", it has huge context. It's pretty ignorant to think otherwise. It's not acceptable at all.

How have you calculated that?

Everyone can see a physical act of aggression.

An awful lot of parents won't let their kids play sports like rugby league because it's too rough & foul play is part of that.

Who has been affected by whatever McGuire said to Charnley?

7 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Do you think Charnley has had the same language directed at him but turned the other cheek, but specifically reported McGuire?

Cos he's in an environment where he doesn't have to go through the police to get things sorted and the RFL have processes in place that are much easier - like a referee being right there?

And as if that even matters???

1 minute ago, Gavin Harrison said:

How have you calculated that?

Everyone can see a physical act of aggression.

An awful lot of parents won't let their kids play sports like rugby league because it's too rough & foul play is part of that.

The LDRL and PDRL sides for some teams, including Warrington iirc were out at Magic Weekend. I'm sure they are chuffed and feel good.

I'll be straight up, it has affected me because of how his actions have repeatedly now been vile towards vulnerable people. I find his comments vile and reprehensible and regret that I have financially contributed, through sky tv money, partially to him getting paid to have the privilege of being an RL player. We have laws in this country to counter behaviour like that and I don't want the sport I enjoy to be associated with that behaviour.

If I heard it in the street I'd challenge it, it is disappointing that clearly others feel differently, but they are free to do so.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Gavin Harrison said:

Pretty much every fan who goes to see their favourite players and role models with disabilities such as autism!

A bit like myself really who attends with my autistic son, and I consider it a really low blow and a real kick in the teeth !😡

Edited by Snowys Backside
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

If someone at work made a dementia joke, I wouldn't consider getting them suspended for 3 months.

But hey ho.

Context

noun

"The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood"

Edited by Tim Streets tache
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Would you simply accept an apology if somebody insulted a family member of yours?

You accept a man insult another mans infant son as "banter"? 

You aren't well mate.

I have a noticeable disability and have been abused and name-called all my life. I get on with it and have never read too much into the words people have said. Sometimes people apologise, sometimes they don't.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Cos he's in an environment where he doesn't have to go through the police to get things sorted and the RFL have processes in place that are much easier - like a referee being right there?

And as if that even matters???

I thought I was asking the same question as you. You asked how isolated an incident it was. I suspect it probably is isolated in terms of incidents on the field, as why would he not report other incidents to officials? But now it looks like you meant in general, rather than comments from other players during games. Misread it, my bad.

5 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Context

noun

"The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood"

Not sure the point you are making.

My mother passed of dementia. Whether the comment was directed at me or just poor taste - not sure it merits depriving someone of their living.

It's not a crime to be an ahole. Or at least it shouldn't be.

5 minutes ago, phiggins said:

I thought I was asking the same question as you. You asked how isolated an incident it was. I suspect it probably is isolated in terms of incidents on the field, as why would he not report other incidents to officials? But now it looks like you meant in general, rather than comments from other players during games. Misread it, my bad.

No worries.

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Not sure the point you are making.

My mother passed of dementia. Whether the comment was directed at me or just poor taste - not sure it merits depriving someone of their living.

Do you think anything could be said that would be worthy of a ban?

13 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Are you now disagreeing with yourself.

😂

Not at all. My Editing isn’t very good. If you now read my post again, you will see both myself and Mr Charnley have a lot in Common !

Doesnt stop me getting a little riled by some grub of an Aussie having his opinion of people like my Son though does it especially when we just want to watch a game of Rugby !

6 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Thankfully he's not been convicted of a crime.

He has (if he did it) however broken a code of conduct he agreed to when he decided to be professional rugby league player in this country and that private organisation can dish out fines/bans as they want. Pretty sure he still gets his wages, so he isn't being deprived of a living either.

Not sure why the only real defence is "it wouldn't bother me so it shouldn't bother anyone". Well done, insults don't affect you, have a pat on the back. Victim blaming rubbish.

Edited by andyscoot
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

😂

Not at all. My Editing isn’t very good. If you now read my post again, you will see both myself and Mr Charnley have a lot in Common !

Doesnt stop me getting a little riled by some grub of an Aussie having his opinion of people like my Son though does it especially when we just want to watch a game of Rugby !

No worries just a bit of humour when lots of posters are getting irate, I am from Leigh (when I moved to Warrington they said that was a disability). Did you hear the comment or read about as after like the rest of us, because I doubt you left LSV in an angry state after the match especially if you were unaware of it. On McGuire I don't disagree with your view of him it maybe my age because I have had a disabled brother (wheelchair bound his whole life) disabled (mentally) relatives who were and some  still are season ticket holders but any comments insulting them I would directly respond and if no apology deal with it, like I say it maybe my age as I don't get as offended as younger people.

Edited by ELBOWSEYE

31 minutes ago, Leonard said:

If someone at work made a dementia joke, I wouldn't consider getting them suspended for 3 months.

But hey ho.

Do you have dementia (edit: you answered this later) and is the joke aimed at you as an insult? thats the key.. it wasnt a joke it was an insult aimed at him/his child. 

equally while you may not it is the right of someone else in your office to do so if it was done to them. In the same way as you do not have to press charges if a crime is committed against you, however, someone else might.

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leonard said:

But hey ho.

I might if I had a specific policy in place against it, and then had sent said employee on an educational course about it after an incident just a few months prior. And then he denied guilt of saying it this time.

• Like 3