Wolves sign Josh McGuire

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He seems nice. 

Whilst reading those inspirational words, I couldn't help but think about the quote, often misattributed to Mahatma Gandhi, 'be the change you wish to see in the world.'

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Don't think Warrington come out of this well from both angles, we are now aware McGuire has gone home but Warrington carry on as though he's still here talking with the CEO and his agent discussing his future, it looks like they did a middle of the road action in defending their player, you either don't support or go flat out to maximize your defense with supporting evidence. They did neither. I am surprised people are expecting something different from his father, he Will believe his son he won't make a balance of probability call, to him it's still one person's word against another in Australia maybe it would have been harder to come to the decision reached here.

And before I get the im against charnley this is about the response from McGuire's father.

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Don't think Warrington come out of this well from both angles, we are now aware McGuire has gone home but Warrington carry on as though he's still here talking with the CEO and his agent discussing his future, it looks like they did a middle of the road action in defending their player, you either don't support or go flat out to maximize your defense with supporting evidence. They did neither. I am surprised people are expecting something different from his father, he Will believe his son he won't make a balance of probability call, to him it's still one person's word against another in Australia maybe it would have been harder to come to the decision reached here.

And before I get the im against charnley this is about the response from McGuire's father.

There is absolutely no reason for his dad to get involved in calling Josh Charnley. I bet he doesn't even know Charnley. 

All the other stuff about Wire is just sour eggs. We don't appear to have trouble getting players from Oz and most have really positive experiences, it would seem a hell fo a coincidence that we just so happen to have treated badly the one player who has disgraced himself. 

We don't hear this stuff from most parents of players, so I'm surprised you just think it's expected. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There is absolutely no reason for his dad to get involved in calling Josh Charnley. I bet he doesn't even know Charnley. 

All the other stuff about Wire is just sour eggs. We don't appear to have trouble getting players from Oz and most have really positive experiences, it would seem a hell fo a coincidence that we just so happen to have treated badly the one player who has disgraced himself. 

We don't hear this stuff from most parents of players, so I'm surprised you just think it's expected. 

So you don't think Warrington have not covered themselves well with the aspect of this, and the Aussie public are generally more abrupt in the language they use. And it's difficult to make the assumption that we don't hear this from parents of players, it is not something high profile RL in this country has had lots of dealings with. And in my life I have witnessed lots of parents who will take the defensive position and believe their child(lots were lying or stretching the truth). This just involves him playing on the opposite side of the world

What I do see recently on here is if you post a view on a sensitive issue  that doesn't follow the popular side of the issue you are questioned straight away about why you post that way. 

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

So you don't think Warrington have not covered themselves well with the aspect of this, and the Aussie public are generally more abrupt in the language they use. And it's difficult to make the assumption that we don't hear this from parents of players, it is not something high profile RL in this country has had lots of dealings with. And in my life I have witnessed lots of parents who will take the defensive position and believe their child(lots were lying or stretching the truth). This just involves him playing on the opposite side of the world

What I do see recently on here is if you post a view on a sensitive issue  that doesn't follow the popular side of the issue you are questioned straight away about why you post that way. 

I'd like a response from Wire, my assumption is that they are working through legalities.

But tbh, your view here is inconsistent. You appear to think the punishment is harsh, but then criticise Wire because they haven't come down hard on him. Why are you so angry about the club and Charnley? 

It is an odd stance that you have taken, and once again you seem to believe that people are out of order questioning your view that you post on a public forum. 

What exactly are you complaining about? That people disagree with you? Jeez. 

Best we leave it isn't it, you don't appear to be happy with anyone disagreeing with you?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd like a response from Wire, my assumption is that they are working through legalities.

But tbh, your view here is inconsistent. You appear to think the punishment is harsh, but then criticise Wire because they haven't come down hard on him. Why are you so angry about the club and Charnley? 

It is an odd stance that you have taken, and once again you seem to believe that people are out of order questioning your view that you post on a public forum. 

What exactly are you complaining about? That people disagree with you? Jeez. 

Best we leave it isn't it, you don't appear to be happy with anyone disagreeing with you?

Last response on this to you Dave, the level of punishment I only ever question the level against serious foul play . Anger? not once have I been angry, and I have been consistent all the way through, the only thing I have done is simply refuse to follow the popular view just for the sake of it, I have simply shown possible failing in the whole process.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2023 at 11:42, Jughead said:

https://twitter.com/wirecasuals/status/1669854908781133825

Some accusations in there from McGuire’s dad. 

So, Josh Charnley is a rat because when McGuire used similar language in a pre season game, the referee heard it, sent him off and put it in his report?

Sometimes, it's better for your reputation to stop expecting people to believe your lies.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phiggins said:

So, Josh Charnley is a rat because when McGuire used similar language in a pre season game, the referee heard it, sent him off and put it in his report?

Sometimes, it's better for your reputation to stop expecting people to believe your lies.

It's weird, because if I read that correctly, he is saying that it was Josh Charnley's word against Mcguire's in both cases. And that is factually incorrect, so it pretty much makes every other word in his post BS. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, phiggins said:

In amongst all that there is an attitude to players reporting injuries and playing when medically unfit that I suspect is far too common in the game.

The rest is a lot of dribbling.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

In amongst all that there is an attitude to players reporting injuries and playing when medically unfit that I suspect is far too common in the game.

yes, that is not great to hear from the Dad but again its one side of the story and Wire, I am sure, would have another with the truth sitting somewhere inbetween. Also would expect very similar stories with other clubs. However, it has to be remembered how many games hes actually played whilst spending most of the season sitting on his backside suspended so he cant have been asked to "play through" too many injuries. 

I dont know how you would do it but I wonder if some form of independent assessment of injuries etc could end up being brought in with all these legal cases as that would stop clubs forcing players to play through. It would be very complicated though as who reports it to the independent assessor etc.. 

57 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

28 minutes ago, RP London said:

yes, that is not great to hear from the Dad but again its one side of the story and Wire, I am sure, would have another with the truth sitting somewhere inbetween. Also would expect very similar stories with other clubs. However, it has to be remembered how many games hes actually played whilst spending most of the season sitting on his backside suspended so he cant have been asked to "play through" too many injuries. 

I dont know how you would do it but I wonder if some form of independent assessment of injuries etc could end up being brought in with all these legal cases as that would stop clubs forcing players to play through. It would be very complicated though as who reports it to the independent assessor etc.. 

I'm most certainly not one to blindly defend Wire, but I must admit my first thought is that this narrative is there to create a victim in Mcguire, potentially around contract termination battles. 

He's hardly played, and at the same time, plenty of other players have been scanned for injuries and ruled out. Nicholson being a prime example. 

It's interesting that it sounds like a carbon copy of Fozzard's complaints in his legal battle. 

• Like 2

Feel for Warrington and their fans on this one.

They signed a player who played on the edge and couldn't complain if he missed some games through suspension.  But to get served two long bans for inappropriate language, and the nature of the second in particular, is just daft.  They are well shot of him.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Was it definitely mutual agreement or did he say "Right, I'm f***ing off now"?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Just now, Old Frightful said:

I don't think it was mutual, but I don't think it was Mcguire's choice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Wouldnt be surprised if the conversation was a bit like a lot of sackings.... 

"right Josh we need a long chat because you have broken xyz terms of your contract and you're going to be suspended for at least... "

"you cant sack me I resign!!!"

"shall we call that mutual agreement then?"

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Matt Lodge is available.

Surely Chubby Brown Would be a more exact replacement.

Edited by Old Frightful
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

44 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Matt Lodge is available.

would he get a visa ? I thought once he escaped jail in the US he went back to Aus but then lost a further court case for damages of $2M which he still hasn't paid so there's still a warrant out for him ?

He does know us Brits have no qualms about extraditing criminals to the US if they ask doesn't he 😁

Joking aside about Lodge, even though they couldn't have foreseen exactly what McGuire would do they signed him knowing he was a complete k**b on and off the field. By using the term "mutual agreement" that usually means they've paid off some of his remaining contract to get rid of him now, otherwise they would have just said he'd been sacked for breach of contract. Unless its for something like a player retiring through injury then pay-off's count on this year's cap so its likely Wire may not have that much cap space left other than what they've saved on Mikaele.  

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions