Jump to content

Auckland League Final.


Recommended Posts

The above game( Glenora v Point Chevalier) is on Skye this  coming Saturday at 3-10pm NZ time. Watched one of the semi last Saturday between Glenora v Otahuhu and it was a cracker.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Anyone got any info about the NZ domestic comp? There’s very little about it via Google and Wikipedia (the oracles of all knowledge). ie how many clubs, numbers of players, standard, how well supported etc? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Anyone got any info about the NZ domestic comp? There’s very little about it via Google and Wikipedia (the oracles of all knowledge). ie how many clubs, numbers of players, standard, how well supported etc? 

There is not a domestic "comp" really - it is regionalised. I was at the Bay of Plenty semi finals on Saturday. One was a local derby (between 2 Waikato teams) and the quality on display was pretty decent for amateur players. Some big bodies on there, really good collisions and there was a big and very enthusiastic crowd. 

Even in that part of southern Waikato though, where League is more popular, the union club still gets priority on the use of the ground. So a union reserve grade final (2nd Division reserve) was played on the main ground in front of a far smaller crowd, while the League had hundreds of people watching on 2 back pitches.

The gang culture is alive and well in NZ League with a serious Black Power presence in the crowd. People think that League only dominates in South Auckland, but in parts of Waikato (south of Hamilton towards Taupo) it is definitely number 1. A mate of mine coaches a high school first XV union team in the area, and the players were basically all playing League instead of union (carrying high, not really pushing in scrums, feeding the ball one handed etc etc) the school 'rugby' ref was a League ref as well, and he didn't seem to know a lot of the Union rules. If League is smart it could clean up the younger generation of New Zealanders. There are very few white faces in that neck of the woods - massive Cook Islander kids, Tongans, Samoans and Māori. League suits them with it's easier rules, pure power based game, ability to throw up 'instagram reel' plays, emphasis on running, tackling and tries.  Problem is... Union gets a ridiculously disproportionate amount of support (not just to the detriment of League - it impacts on all other sports). NZRL has boots on the ground, but their development programs are notoriously mismanaged.  NRL clubs (not just warriors) tend to scout union first XV schools games (these are televised) far more than they scout junior League games. The best kids are nearly all playing union on scholarships in big private schools. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy to answer any questions about Auckland league… 

in terms of the final Pt Chev will be favourites, spend a lot of money and always thereabouts, usually have a heap of ex Warriors lower graders. Northcote should win the second tier final. Kevin Locke is back playing for them. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, frank said:

The above game( Glenora v Point Chevalier) is on Skye this  coming Saturday

That's a strange choice for a neutral venue.

  • Haha 9

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the NRL are missing a trick by not adding another NZ team. I think another NRL club on the North Island would go a long way to helping RL bypass RU as the dominant code.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

That's a strange choice for a neutral venue.

Let's hope it draws a giant crow.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I think the NRL are missing a trick by not adding another NZ team. I think another NRL club on the North Island would go a long way to helping RL bypass RU as the dominant code.

Surely another NZ club on the South Island makes more sense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

A large number of New Zealanders are of Scottish descent. Maybe there`s a descendent of Bonnie Prince Charlie at the Auckland RL.

Arguably not too much Scottish about Bonnie Prince Charlie apart from his following!  He was Italian born and died, with some French influence too, I think.  Put it this way, I would be surprised if he would be eligible for Scotland in the RLWC!!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

That's a strange choice for a neutral venue.

Sports fans on Skye this Saturday need not be disappointed.  Head to the shinty ground - Parc nan Laoch in Portree -  where Skye take on Aberdour in a Mowi National Division match at 2pm!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Programme Guy said:

Why?

North Island for the Warriors, South Island for another club. I can never see more than 2 NZ NRL clubs so it seems daft to exclude half of New Zealand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Damien said:

North Island for the Warriors, South Island for another club. I can never see more than 2 NZ NRL clubs so it seems daft to exclude half of New Zealand.

"Half of New Zealand" 😂

There is hardly anyone who lives there.

The South Island population is 97% white. It is full of farmers. There is a small community of white redneck types who follow League, but the place is tailor made for union community clubs based around small farming towns.

The idea of an NRL team there is simply ludicrous. 

It would be like putting a Super League team in Gloucester. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I think the NRL are missing a trick by not adding another NZ team. I think another NRL club on the North Island would go a long way to helping RL bypass RU as the dominant code.

I think a lot of people in England don't realise that the Warriors are actually not universally followed by Kiwi fans. Loads of Kiwis follow other NRL teams (the Broncos for example are extremely popular in NZ). There are plenty who really do not care for the Warriors at all. 

I know guys who play RL in Auckland, have played with people who are at the Warriors, have grown up in South Auckland... Yet support Melbourne (for example). I don't think there is a big enough market for another team - although if there was one, Wellington would have to be the place for it, as it would allow the Warriors to keep their existing catchment area. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Programme Guy said:

"Half of New Zealand" 😂

There is hardly anyone who lives there.

The South Island population is 97% white. It is full of farmers. There is a small community of white redneck types who follow League, but the place is tailor made for union community clubs based around small farming towns.

The idea of an NRL team there is simply ludicrous. 

It would be like putting a Super League team in Gloucester. 

 

Half the country. Thought that was obvious. The population is also 1.2 million with the 3rd biggest city. I wouldn't just play games on the South Island either, as I've said previously I'd be comfortable with a 2nd team playing games in Christchurch and Wellington and then the Warriors being the greater Auckland team. You obviously disagree and that's fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever format the ARL decide on for the next few years, it should be nothing like the one this year. Far too many complete blowouts. Saw 120-0 in the results a few weeks back. Think it was Papatoetoe on the receiving end. 

I`ll back the Bears for this Saturday. I like Tony Benson`s teams. They give an impression of having thought about how to play each game. Hope the officials for the GF forget the NRL imitation and let the players get on with it.

For anyone interested, there`s an excellent little feature about Rochelle Tamarua just posted on Auckland RL`s YouTube channel. We should be seeing her over here later this year. Maybe she`ll sort out some of our technical issues.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Programme Guy said:

 People think that League only dominates in South Auckland, but in parts of Waikato (south of Hamilton towards Taupo) it is definitely number 1. 

I watched the last two Turangawaewae v Taniwharau GFs on Radio Tainui. Most RL followers in the UK and Oz would be surprised to see events like these in NZ. The fans are some of the best anywhere.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Programme Guy said:

"Half of New Zealand" 😂

There is hardly anyone who lives there.

The South Island population is 97% white. It is full of farmers. There is a small community of white redneck types who follow League, but the place is tailor made for union community clubs based around small farming towns.

The idea of an NRL team there is simply ludicrous. 

It would be like putting a Super League team in Gloucester. 

 

There's  a big fanbase for the game in Christchurch. If there is to be another team in NZ that is where it should be.

Iv'e attended internationals  in CH-Ch and they have always been well attended. If the footy is of a decent standard the support is there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, frank said:

There's  a big fanbase for the game in Christchurch. If there is to be another team in NZ that is where it should be.

Iv'e attended internationals  in CH-Ch and they have always been well attended. If the footy is of a decent standard the support is there.

I believe the 18th team will be in NZ and once Christchurch build their new stadium it has a very strong chance of it being there. Expect them in in 2026 or 2027.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/christchurch-stadium-neighbours-say-city-has-locked-in-payment-with-no-contribution-requested-from-others/XAFJUG2LMZUHLLTLQW5D4UILXQ/

Edited by rlno1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Programme Guy said:

There is not a domestic "comp" really - it is regionalised. I was at the Bay of Plenty semi finals on Saturday. One was a local derby (between 2 Waikato teams) and the quality on display was pretty decent for amateur players. Some big bodies on there, really good collisions and there was a big and very enthusiastic crowd. 

Even in that part of southern Waikato though, where League is more popular, the union club still gets priority on the use of the ground. So a union reserve grade final (2nd Division reserve) was played on the main ground in front of a far smaller crowd, while the League had hundreds of people watching on 2 back pitches.

The gang culture is alive and well in NZ League with a serious Black Power presence in the crowd. People think that League only dominates in South Auckland, but in parts of Waikato (south of Hamilton towards Taupo) it is definitely number 1. A mate of mine coaches a high school first XV union team in the area, and the players were basically all playing League instead of union (carrying high, not really pushing in scrums, feeding the ball one handed etc etc) the school 'rugby' ref was a League ref as well, and he didn't seem to know a lot of the Union rules. If League is smart it could clean up the younger generation of New Zealanders. There are very few white faces in that neck of the woods - massive Cook Islander kids, Tongans, Samoans and Māori. League suits them with it's easier rules, pure power based game, ability to throw up 'instagram reel' plays, emphasis on running, tackling and tries.  Problem is... Union gets a ridiculously disproportionate amount of support (not just to the detriment of League - it impacts on all other sports). NZRL has boots on the ground, but their development programs are notoriously mismanaged.  NRL clubs (not just warriors) tend to scout union first XV schools games (these are televised) far more than they scout junior League games. The best kids are nearly all playing union on scholarships in big private schools. 

Great read, pity something like this can`t make it over the desks of those at NRL HQ. Might be worth everyone`s while by emailing this to Peter Beattie at the commission.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/08/2022 at 23:53, Damien said:

Surely another NZ club on the South Island makes more sense.

Absolutely. The problem putting a second team in NZ in the North Is is making it viable. On paper Wellington looks good but in reality it's not a RL city apart from a few isolated pockets. Christchurch would provide a more solid base to build on, with a much stronger league set up. One would assume games would be taken around the South Is too, with a game each on the West Coast, Dunedin/Invercargill and perhaps Nelson too.  

  • Like 4

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...