Just Chat

jroyales

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Agree. Speaking of which, I posted on another thread to ask about the Awards Night winners, but no response. So, does anyone know who they were, or is it a secret amongst those who were there, on the night?  

Given your keen interest, I’m surprised you didn’t go and support the lads / club. I’m sure there will be a post shortly. It was a fantastic night at a packed White Hart.

From memory the winners were Wilkinson (players player), Ridyard (coaches player), Paga (supporters player), Sam Bardsley (clubman) and Sam Doyle (unsung hero). There were quite a few other thanks to volunteers, sponsors etc. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It may surprise you RR, that this is the first Awards Night that I have been unable to attend in over 20 years. I expected that there would be some release of winners on social media, either on the night or the morning,  just as other clubs (Hornets, for one) have done, so I merely asked the question out of keen interest. My personal investment into our club this season, exceeds that of admission alone, so have a vested interest as to who received the awards.

Your cynical response, based on ill considered assumptions, is totally inappropriate. However, no offence taken.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

It may surprise you RR, that this is the first Awards Night that I have been unable to attend in over 20 years. I expected that there would be some release of winners on social media, either on the night or the morning,  just as other clubs (Hornets, for one) have done, so I merely asked the question out of keen interest. My personal investment into our club this season, exceeds that of admission alone, so have a vested interest as to who received the awards.

Your cynical response, based on ill considered assumptions, is totally inappropriate. However, no offence taken.😀

What have Widnes done? 😜 Given your ‘personal investment’, I’m sure you wouldn’t begrudge the media lads a well deserved night off. Or perhaps the need to have a dig as usual supersedes that consideration. Eternal ray of sunshine as ever  ☀️ 

Edited by Roughyed Rats

5 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Given your keen interest, I’m surprised you didn’t go and support the lads / club. I’m sure there will be a post shortly. It was a fantastic night at a packed White Hart.

From memory the winners were Wilkinson (players player), Ridyard (coaches player), Paga (supporters player), Sam Bardsley (clubman) and Sam Doyle (unsung hero). There were quite a few other thanks to volunteers, sponsors etc. 

glad to see the players I think have been our best players this season backed with the coaches and players player awards. Ridyard and Wilkinson have lead us around well all season and at our attacking best this season they had there finger prints all over it.

gutted not to be at the presentation night, I believe by those who was there it was a great night. 

I hope the lads who won the awards get the credit they deserve and a send off to the players leaving.

• Like 3

As soon as anybody hears anything about how they are going to restructure League 1, please let us know.

What I think is sooperdooperleague will stay as it is, with Wakefield avoiding relegation. The rest will become one division with sides playing sides nearer to them home and away, as it was many years ago. With a fixture list pf 24 games.

If the proposed changes are said to be believed i.e. sooperdooperleeg stays the same, with all the money, and the championship and league one combine, then getting promotion from league one is irrelevant.

I have been advocating for years that we let sooperdooperleeg go its own way and we have a Second Great Schism and the rest create their own "Rugby League".

Edited by jroyales
spelling mistake.

On 17/09/2023 at 10:12, sheddingswasus said:

I notice the Australians have read posted position numbers on shorts. Numbered 1 to 17. It is really time we dropped squad numbers.

I learned  the game by my dad telling me to watch a certain position. So he would say watch the number 6 today, he is the stand off half, see what he does and then we would discuss it on the way home. 

Have you heard about uncontested scrums?

You will be furious.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 17/09/2023 at 11:57, sheddingswasus said:

I would imagine now the event is out of the way the club will continue with their squad announcements when they can. A lot of players are out of contact on 30th September. I notice clubs generally at lower levels  are only announcing retained players. The London Scholars situation with perhaps change the thinking a touch ( not if Oldham) given no one knows what is happening next season. 

Pedantic, I know, but I thought that it was 31st October. 

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 19/09/2023 at 12:06, jroyales said:

If the proposed changes are said to be believed i.e. sooperdooperleeg stays the same, with all the money, and the championship and league one combine, then getting promotion from league one is irrelevant.

I have been advocating for years that we let sooperdooperleeg go its own way and we have a Second Great Schism and the rest create their own "Rugby League".

Maybe we need to wait until the season has ended for all clubs before speculating on any changes that might happen?

What if a club relegated from the Championship decided it wasn't worth the candle?

What if a club that failed to gain promotion lost a major sponsor?

Etc!

I know that it must be boring for some but the season hasn't ended yet for the more successful, or less successful, clubs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Two players who have fairly recently turned out for the Roughyeds are likely to feature in next weeks Grand Final- Kai Pearse Paul and Tyler Dupree. Dupree I think, we effectively got him back on track after he’d struggled elsewhere. 
I still want Catalans to win though.

I think we had Pierce-Pauls brother. Not the wigan player

Edited by chiefgeneral

2 hours ago, ChampagneCharlieReturns said:

Anyone know the catalans squad member that played for us?

Had to Google to find out- Jordan  Dezaria. Played 1 game in 2018. Scored a try. On loan from Leigh. Previous to that was at Catalan. Returned to Catalan in 2021. Don’t remember him, either. 
I do remember the brilliant French player Said Tamghart. Played for us around 2008 before moving to Halifax. I loved watching him play. Fearless. Absolutely no concern for his own safety- as they say. Nor anybody else’s. He played in that era when we had a range of strong players, Two Bobs, Mick Nanyn, Ballard, Hallyday, Dave Allen. Playing at Boundary Park. Talented but never seemed to gel for me, all somehow a bit joyless in some cases-as though they fiercely wanted to win, but it didn’t seem crucial to win for Oldham. Lots of them would have been happier elsewhere, I thought (maybe wrongly).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jroyales said:

With all the great things happening to our great club, I can't wait for the start to the season. Any ideas when this might be?

HTH

• Haha 1

For my sins or should I say my wife liking the crossword, I read the Times!!!!!

There wasn't one sentence in this morning's paper (Sat. 14th Oct) about the Grand Final. I have written to both the editor and sports' editor about the fact that they don't publish anything about RL because "it's not popular enough to sell papers". American Football got a full page.

This anti RL, I feel is rife and our restructuring team, IMG, should surely look into how our game is publicised. Before RR starts making comment about this mail being negative, I've stopped reading it and have started looking for a better RL paper.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jroyales said:

See Danny Langtree has followed CH to Widnes.

Any news where Littler has gone.

When is the meeting, and time of Mike Ford and Frank Rothwell?

I met a Barrow fan in Leeds for the internationals last week, who said that Danny Langtree had been their best player. I never saw him let anyone down. Shame it didn’t work out for him at Hull. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's a pity the club didn't put a Christmas message on their official page.

Nevertheless, thank you Mike Ford and the board for giving all Yeds a great Christmas present - our club back!

All the best for Christmas and 2024 to all those who WILL make Oldham great again.

11 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Nevertheless, thank you Mike Ford and the board for giving all Yeds a great Christmas present - our club back!

All the best for Christmas and 2024 to all those who WILL make Oldham great again.

Something like this ?

https://roughyeds.co.uk/2023/12/chairmans-christmas-update/

11 minutes ago, jroyales said:

A Wembley trip would be brilliant, merry Xmas to everyone, even hairnets, 😀 👍 

• Like 1