Toulouse out of pocket again

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I mean, all that literally means nowt. 

It's a weird post using some made up definition of what Super is. 

Your hatred of UK RL on a UK RL forum really is trolling now,  I'm surprised it is allowed here. 

I don't hate UK RL at all, I simply recognize its shortcomings.

11 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

It is. I apologise. Just read one too many Leigh thread after a long few days. It just always seems to be the same club, the same arguments and the same twisting of words going on. Sorry.

No Glossop it is as I have said before opinions, we all have them some we agree with others we don't.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

No Glossop it is as I have said before opinions, we all have them some we agree with others we don't.

No. It is thread drift guided by the same posters to the same arguments. Please note I am not saying Leigh supporters necessarily. There are those who steer the conversation in order to criticise in the just the same way.

11 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

The crucial difference though is that P&R is not part of the sporting psyche in the those countries.  Those leagues were set up in that way.

Of course they were.  But it was you that initially commented that you would not attend ‘dead rubbers’ meaning a ‘closed shop’.  All I did was highlight that hundreds of thousands of people attend leagues that involve dead rubbers.  For some reason a few posters on here made the assumption that I fully back the ‘closed shop’ option where I clearly stated in my response to you and in response to other people that I am open to either a ‘closed shop’ - with opportunities for teams to join at a later date - or aP&R model.

13 hours ago, Tubby said:

And that’s where it differs from RL in this country. The clubs in the lower leagues have mostly spent time in the top division and many still aspire to do so. 

The idea that an arbitrary decision be made to make that no longer possible would make it that those who just happen to be in the top division now get to stay there. How can that be considered just?

100 years of history is important to some of us. 

Tubby. See my response to David Shepherd above as to how this strand within this thread started and how I am neutral on the P&R option or closed shop option.

In RL terms the word history is very chequered.  Since 1974 the game has had at least 8 changes to the structure and some teams were simply discarded.  Other teams were denied entry to SL due to not meeting criteria.

History of the game is extremely important but history cannot be the driver for which ever option is decided.

15 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Are they full of independent clubs , or are they distinct feeder clubs ? 

Have any of the clubs in these lower tiers previously played in , and indeed won the top grades in their countries ? 

Are they paid as in part time , or strictly amateurs?

The college's are junior as in academies , so are not relevant 

The IPL and Big Bash are fairly recent franchise comps as I understand it 

I would have loved to see your post before you edited it.  It probably asked if I would obtain the tax records of every individual that has ever played in any of those lower structures to ascertain if they were professional, semi-professional or amateur and list them by age, colour of eyes and if they have heard of Leigh 😄

Oh sod it, I am having a break so I will respond professionally as is my want.

Mr Gubrats.                                                30 August 2022
Leigh Suburb of Wigan.                             Ref:bin/notrainstation
7 and a quarter miles from Wigan Pier
Metropolitan Borough of Wigan.

Dear Mr Gubrats

Subject: Trawling Through the Great Leagues of our time

Thank you for post of 29 August.  My assistant and I have spent many hours trawling the internet - which you could have done it apparently but could not be ar$ed - and found the following information.

1. Some leagues consist of fully independent clubs and some leagues such as the Eastern and Western Divisions in Japanese baseball act as ‘farm’ clubs.  That is they provide experience and training for young players and are not brainless apprentices that drive combine-harvesters or shovel pig poo

2. No idea.  So I whipped my assistant very roughly with my pony tail - are pony tails fashionable in Leigh - as he failed with this task.

3. Obviously players in the IPL and Big Bash are fully professional even my goldfish knows that … ooops he’s forgotten it again.   I also believe minor leagues such as the NFL, USA Baseball and Aussie Rules are semi - pro. Japanese baseball no idea so my assistant got a good old kicking in the goolies.

4. Seeing that the our Council fully supports our younger people through the College (TAFE) system I am dismayed that you do not recognise Collegiate structures in sports ….. did you fail your Eleven Plus? So I assume you believe that the BUCS structure in RL has no relevance whatsoever in the UK RL structure.

5. Yes they are. I so look forward to watching the Strikers this season as they have just picked Rashid Khan as their top draft pick.  Not too sure about Colin de Grandhomme as their second pick but I digress.

I do hope that this answers your request if not my assistant will have his tongue stapled to his desk by using a blunt spoon.

Your sincerely 

A Tiger. 
Adelaide City Council - College (TAFE) Department. 
Fried-out Kombi Street.
Land of Plenty. 
Formerly from Gods Own County

Ahhh, back to work ….. Oi! Assistant don’t go hiding that blunt spoon!

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I would have loved to see your post before you edited it.  It probably asked if I would obtain the tax records of every individual that has ever played in any of those lower structures to ascertain if they were professional, semi-professional or amateur and list them by age, colour of eyes and if they have heard of Leigh 😄

Mr Gubrats.                                                                                        30 August 2022
Leigh Suburb of Wigan.                                                 Ref:strewth/bin/notrainstation

Dear Mr Gubrats

Thank you for post of 29 August.  My assistant and I have spent many hours trawling the internet - which you could have done it apparently but could not be ar$ed - and found the following information.

1. Some leagues consist of fully independent clubs and some leagues such as the Eastern and Western Divisions in Japanese baseball act as ‘farm’ clubs.  That is they provide experience and training for young players and are not brainless apprentices that drive combine-harvesters or shovel pig poo

2. No idea.  So I whipped my assistant very roughly with my pony tail - are pony tails fashionable in Leigh - as he failed with this task.

3. Obviously players in the IPL and Big Bash are fully professional even my goldfish knows that … ooops he’s forgotten it again.   I also believe minor leagues such as the NFL, USA Baseball and Aussie Rules are semi - pro. Japanese baseball no idea so my assistant got a good old kicking in the goolies.

4. Seeing that the our Council fully supports our younger people through the College (TAFE) system I am dismayed that you do not recognise Collegiate structures in sports ….. did you fail your Eleven Plus? So I assume you believe that the BUCS structure in RL has no relevance whatsoever in the UK RL structure.

5. Yes they are. I so look forward to watching the Strikers this season as they have just picked Rashid Khan as their top draft pick.  Not too sure about Colin de Grandhomme as their second pick but I digress.

I do hope that this answers your request if not my assistant will have his tongue stapled to his desk by using a blunt spoon.

Your sincerely 

A Tiger. 
Fried-out Kombi Street.
Land of Plenty. 

You obviously have plenty of time on your hands , maybe get a proper job 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Mr Gubrats.                                                30 August 2022
Leigh Suburb of Wigan.                             Ref:bin/notrainstation

Dear Mr Gubrats

Your sincerely 

A Tiger. 
Fried-out Kombi Street.
Land of Plenty. 

The bottom line is I couldn't care less what happens in other various sports around the world , if you are interested in them , I'm sure there are forums for them 

What people have never had , they tend not to miss , but when they have had certain , let's call them ' freedoms ' they rarely like to lose them 

So ultimately if it's my problem , well so be it 

1 minute ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Strewth, I now have to explain time difference to you 🤭

Adelaide is 8 and a half hours ahead so it’s 3.25pm now and as I work for myself I finished at 3pm today.👍

As I used to live in NZ I'm fully aware of time differences down under 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Away fans don't count , so no need for a train station 

Don't you treasure away support and how many away fans clubs being??

How does an away fan get to a game? I can walk to home games but use public transport to get to away games..

26 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Been to both thank you, (was easier getting to Wrexham than Leigh)

We all like to make fun of Leigh's public transport inadequacies, but the LSV is a doddle to get to if you've got one of those new fangled horseless carriages.  

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, yipyee said:

How does an away fan get to a game? I can walk to home games but use public transport to get to away games..

No , we don't get any , they can't get to the LSV , you must be mistaken or lying 

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Doesn’t your team(Saints isn’t it) run supporters buses ?

7 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Tubby. See my response to David Shepherd above as to how this strand within this thread started and how I am neutral on the P&R option or closed shop option.

In RL terms the word history is very chequered.  Since 1974 the game has had at least 8 changes to the structure and some teams were simply discarded.  Other teams were denied entry to SL due to not meeting criteria.

History of the game is extremely important but history cannot be the driver for which ever option is decided.

Apologies if it appeared I was accusing you of anything untoward.  I understand that you are in neither camp and furthermore I understand entirely that people are fiercely in favour of the removal of P&R and I understand why.  If you look at it entirely dispassionately, it may make sense to have no P&R and concentrate on the top echelon to the detriment of all others.  Personally I disagree because I believe the sport needs strong foundations from age-group rugby all the way to the top, I think if the clubs at any point down the structure are negelected it would be detrimental to the sport at all levels.

But that aside, I can't look at it dispassionately because I want my club (and every other) to have aspirations and the removal of P&R removes that aspiration.  I appreciate that some would say that aspiration to be the best semi-pro club should be enough, without the possibilty of moving up to compete with the professional clubs, but I disagree wholeheartedly and it's no coincidence that the majority of those with that view are supporters of clubs already at the top level.

I've watched my team become first division champions, win the Challenge Cup, get relegated to the bottom semi-pro league, get promoted back the the middle league and finish top of the 'second division' for several years when promotion to SL didn't exist.  I've seen them relegated from the first division to make room for Paris and London.

To then be told "You've had your day, you are now a second tier club and can't compete at the top level" because the decision to restructure happened this year, not next or whenever seems a little arbitrary to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1