Hunslet

jroyales

Been a while since I said a word. Been very interesting to see the opinions of my fellow Yeds over the course of what has been a disappointing season. I can't comment on the performances obviously but seems like the kids have done their best and the older heads haven't performed...that's gleaned from Mr H's podcast the other week. 

If we have to ask if the Wigan lads will play then we are doomed imho, these lads seem to have injected a bit of go forward into us and when they don't play we lack something. 

Looking from afar please next season can we have a side that pulls their tripe out for the shirt. We seem to have capitulated every single time we go behind, compete for a half then ......nothing. why? Bad coaching? Bad players?

Shocking season imho, can't blame the coach really,been tied down by no ambition. Next season if we are to survive we need to sign some quality ala Keighley. Can we afford it?

Win against Hunslet is glossing over the fact we ain't beat one side in the top 6 all season,and one result could get us in the playoffs 

Not good enough this year. It's been embarrassing. 

Remember when we had a journeyman side under Naylor? Many people said sack the coach, the players were rubbish etc,but we fought hard, a never say die attitude but won this division.

This season has been tough. It's done. We won't win nowt, we need to rebuild the team now not the club, the off field stuff is fab but the bottom line is without a side people believe in, no one goes. 

Let's win this game get battered at Hornets and rebuild. 

The recruitment has let us down massively, just like the squad in the Championship,that was top 8 according to Diskin. Stuart Littler hasn't turn into a bad coach overnight,but simply has been hamstrung.

All the best guys. Enjoy dipping into the forum every now and again and seeing the passion that exists.

We all want a successful Oldham, maybe Flat Cap Frank has a couple of bob to help us!!

OTID

• Like 5

17 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Been a while since I said a word. Been very interesting to see the opinions of my fellow Yeds over the course of what has been a disappointing season. I can't comment on the performances obviously but seems like the kids have done their best and the older heads haven't performed...that's gleaned from Mr H's podcast the other week. 

If we have to ask if the Wigan lads will play then we are doomed imho, these lads seem to have injected a bit of go forward into us and when they don't play we lack something. 

Looking from afar please next season can we have a side that pulls their tripe out for the shirt. We seem to have capitulated every single time we go behind, compete for a half then ......nothing. why? Bad coaching? Bad players?

Shocking season imho, can't blame the coach really,been tied down by no ambition. Next season if we are to survive we need to sign some quality ala Keighley. Can we afford it?

Win against Hunslet is glossing over the fact we ain't beat one side in the top 6 all season,and one result could get us in the playoffs 

Not good enough this year. It's been embarrassing. 

Remember when we had a journeyman side under Naylor? Many people said sack the coach, the players were rubbish etc,but we fought hard, a never say die attitude but won this division.

This season has been tough. It's done. We won't win nowt, we need to rebuild the team now not the club, the off field stuff is fab but the bottom line is without a side people believe in, no one goes. 

Let's win this game get battered at Hornets and rebuild. 

The recruitment has let us down massively, just like the squad in the Championship,that was top 8 according to Diskin. Stuart Littler hasn't turn into a bad coach overnight,but simply has been hamstrung.

All the best guys. Enjoy dipping into the forum every now and again and seeing the passion that exists.

We all want a successful Oldham, maybe Flat Cap Frank has a couple of bob to help us!!

OTID

Welcome back mate. I never called for Naylor's head,he did alot with next to nothing. The team grafted win or lose. I'm of the opinion that we've been knackered since Scott left. Signing the coach we did after that was a disaster. I don't know where we go from here.

• Like 3

The more you look at the job Naylor did the more outstanding it looks. Essentially took Salford reserves and our own reserves who'd never played at league One standard and molded them into a fantastic team almost straight away. Stayed consistent almost every year with a very low budget.

For ourselves this year is the first ever year we've not gone to games when we had the opportunity. The Rochdale and Doncaster games back to back broke our spirit. I've seen some poor Oldham sides but I've never seen one who didn't try before.

Hope Littler can turn  it around for next season as he has been a very good coach but I can't see how we're going to significantly improve without a big increase in budget.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, m brooksy said:

The more you look at the job Naylor did the more outstanding it looks. Essentially took Salford reserves and our own reserves who'd never played at league One standard and molded them into a fantastic team almost straight away. Stayed consistent almost every year with a very low budget.

For ourselves this year is the first ever year we've not gone to games when we had the opportunity. The Rochdale and Doncaster games back to back broke our spirit. I've seen some poor Oldham sides but I've never seen one who didn't try before.

Hope Littler can turn  it around for next season as he has been a very good coach but I can't see how we're going to significantly improve without a big increase in budget.

By his own admission Scott wasn't the most naturally gifted rugby league player but he was a very successful one as part of a stellar squad at Bradford. He knows what it takes to win and to work hard to do that. He passed on a great work ethic. I was speaking to Phil Joy at a home game and he was very complimentary of Scott. He said he was tough but fair. Say no more. I feel we'll struggle to get that back. The club is missing Naylor. I hope that Stuart Littler can instill something in our squad and put his own mark in things. More money will always be welcome. We can only hope better things will come.

• Like 2

According to this morning's Oldham paper, admittance prices have been cut. £12 for adults, £10 concession and U16s free. This only applies until midnight on Friday.

The article also says that Slater's two match ban has started and it's too early to speculate on both Openshaw and Whittel's fitness.

The discounted ticket price for the Hunslet game was published on the Roughyeds website yesterday along with a plea from CH for a big crowd to cheer the team on, and a thank you from Stu Littler to supporters for sticking by them through a difficult season.

https://roughyeds.co.uk/2022/08/admission-prices-slashed-for-play-off-decider/

And today they're asking fans to "wear club shirts and colours where possible, and to be as vocal as possible"

https://roughyeds.co.uk/2022/09/shez-gives-massive-raps-to-the-boys/

Come on you Yeds, make Dave's 'cloud cuckoo land' dream come true.

• Like 3

If we’d have clung onto our lead at Hunslet at the start of the season instead of letting them come from behind to draw, we’d have been 6 already, all other bings being equal. Tough match on Sunday and realistically, one play off match is probably the best we’d get before being knocked out, but it a win would be a positive way to near the end of the season and give us more to build on than a loss, on and off the field. So, disappointing as the season has been a win would be good progress even though early stages on a long term rebuild.

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

Take your point SR but how can the club re-build, on the pitch, if none of the players are contracted to be with us next season.

Remember that season, about 10 years ago, we had no players with about a month before kick off!? We did quite well that season. Remember the season the old club went bust, no players? The game survived. I know it's another game but I always remember Denmark winning the Euros after they were knocked out in the rounds. You can't predict what the next season will bring. Let's see what this season turns up first. Remember it's knock out rugby from now on and we're at home for the first game.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Take your point SR but how can the club re-build, on the pitch, if none of the players are contracted to be with us next season.

I agree that in order to build we need to maintain a strong core of players beyond a season's end. Hard to build a club and team culture and ethos, and also keep the interest of the fans when we don't know the players from year to year. 

9 hours ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

I agree that in order to build we need to maintain a strong core of players beyond a season's end. Hard to build a club and team culture and ethos, and also keep the interest of the fans when we don't know the players from year to year. 

Clubs don't yet know what the outcome of the 2023 season is going to be - will there be P&R, will there be central funding etc? I understand that this due to be clarified on Sept 19th but don't shoot me down if it isn't.

Under these circumstances making commitments on playing contracts for next season in C1 is a risky business.

• Like 5

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

38 minutes ago, jroyales said:

The lads played for the full 80 mins. against London, so I can't see why they can't do it again.

What's the situation with Openshaw and Whittel? Also, will there be any Wigan lads playing?

Whittel in, Openshaw out.

https://roughyeds.co.uk/2022/09/emmy-in-21-man-squad-for-hunslet-clash/

On 04/09/2022 at 13:17, Dave Naylor said:

As things stand prior to today's game, to achieve promotion we need to beat every team above us apart from already promoted Keighley — five wins in a row.  All away from home after today's fixture.

Part de gâteau.

Well done on your "delusional" play-offs prediction coming true Dave and a massive congratulations to the team 👏

Will the whingers be joining the champagne party in Cloud Cuckoo Land tonight?

Edited by WellWisher
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WellWisher said:

Well done on your "dlusional" play-offs prediction coming true Dave and a massive congratulations to the team 👏

Will the whingers be joining the champagne party in Cloud Cuckoo Land tonight?

Whingers will be nowhere to be seen.

Whatever happens next thats up yours from the boys accused of having no guts or not caring .

Get in boys !! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1