Match thread: Championship Rd 27 and last. Halifax v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 11th September 2022.

marklaspalmas

13 minutes ago, Rockingchair said:

Just watched the highlights back , you can see jwh clearly taken off the ball by joey in the second slower replay after the try , be interesting to see what the match review panel see and don’t see .Lol

Have you looked at any of the three or four incidences when the Fev kicker was taken out after the ball had gone. It's Rugby League. You sound worse than the disciplinary committee.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Have you looked at any of the three or four incidences when the Fev kicker was taken out after the ball had gone. It's Rugby League. You sound worse than the disciplinary committee.

Of course he hasn't, see what they want to see.

3 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Nothing in that.

I actually kind of agree that its just a rugby incident but we have seen players getting banned for less. So personally I don't think its a ban but it would not surprise me to see one handed out but its RL so JWH may get a ban for running in to his shoulder. 😂

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I actually kind of agree that its just a rugby incident but we have seen players getting banned for less. So personally I don't think its a ban but it would not surprise me to see one handed out but its RL so JWH may get a ban for running in to his shoulder. 😂

I thought Ford got hit late after kicking but we didn't even get a penalty.Difficult decisions as a defender can't pull out of the tackle once committed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I enjoyed that game, thought we gave our selves too much to do after a bit of a sloppy first half but thought we competed enough to show that if we do make the semi it should not be as lopsided as last season.

Edit: Just watching a few crucial parts in that video. Hard to see the double movement but can see the Fax players asking about it. Also interesting to see if Joey gets in trouble for the late shot on JWH for Fax last try. Its late and a shoulder but can't see contact but can hear Woody complaining to the ref about it after the hooter. Not a clue how the games are reviewed but presuming as nothing was given on field it probably won't get looked at.

You can't remember the game st York then?

26 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

It was more regards to the incidents in the fax vs York game where no penalties or cards were handed out but the match review panel banned five players subsequently following a post match review.

19 minutes ago, Rockingchair said:

It was more regards to the incidents in the fax vs York game where no penalties or cards were handed out but the match review panel banned five players subsequently following a post match review.

Quite rightly you are trying to defend your team after suffering adverse decisions by the judiciary in a previous Halifax game. I never saw those incidences so obviously I can't comment. We sometimes think that the team we support are harshly treated by the disciplinary and like you and other teams Fev have also seen to be treated harshly by the disciplinary and by the RFL but we have to get on with it. You probably want to see a levelling up of what you deem to be an injustice in your subsequent games so point taken.

• Like 2

My thoughts on the game: we were pretty dominant physically in the first half, the 2nd half was much more even. We certainly tired and our energy levels were lower in the second half but the same could be said for Fax and I think it was telling that after they scored their late try they couldn't get out of their own half in the set that followed. They did score two tries to nil in the second half but we had three disallowed (two rightly, one wrongly in my view) and we managed to defend four sets in a row on our line at one stage in the second half, something we haven't come close to all year, which suggests we had at least as much in the tank as they did.

We were yet again a bit scratchy with ball in hand but it's interesting that having read comments by Fax fans suggesting that they are now light years ahead of when we played them earlier this season, and that this is their best team since 2010 or even longer, we still once again never really looked like losing at their ground despite lacking fluency with ball in hand at times.

One interesting thing was that none of the four half backs really had a major impact. Jacks played pretty well and set up Broadbent's try very well and Ford did set up Joey's try but otherwise was very quiet in his first start on the right side. Keyes produced a nice kick for Kavanagh's try but otherwise was relatively quiet and so was Jouffret.

For us Moors played 80 minutes and although he switched to back row in the 2nd half and looked weary at times he was still a real thorn in Fax's side. People go on about the age of our pack but for me at 36 he has been as good as any forward in the division and I'd love to see him come back for one more year. Briscoe was very good too but I don't think too many others stood out though they struggled with our big men. Neither Cuthbo or Locky made a great impact and it will be interesting to see if a place is found for Bussey if he is fit in two weeks' time.

One other thing, watching that video with the ref mike is quite instructive as it does explain some of the decisions and hesitancy. For instance there was one occasion in the 2nd half when it seemed to take Kendall ages to make his decision before awarding Fev a penalty, the Fax fans went mad but what happened was the touch judge called the Fax kick chaser Gwaze offside (which he clearly was) but kept saying "Sam Eseh offside" which understandably left Kendall baffled until the TJ corrected himself to say it was Gwaze. Oh, and a special prize for anyone with the patience to count how many times the TJs tell the ref that Garside was offside!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Quite rightly you are trying to defend your team after suffering adverse decisions by the judiciary in a previous Halifax game. I never saw those incidences so obviously I can't comment. We sometimes think that the team we support are harshly treated by the disciplinary and like you and other teams Fev have also seen to be treated harshly by the disciplinary and by the RFL but we have to get on with it. You probably want to see a levelling up of what you deem to be an injustice in your subsequent games so point taken.

Tbh it was more of an objective look at what happens as I feel as a whole there as been some inconsistencies across the board , I’m not fussed either way as fev will field a strong team regardless.

• Like 1

Laughable that Fax are claiming a draw as one of Hall's conversions supposedly missed.  If they want to see an injustice Briscoe clearly scored.  I also thought Lineham hit the line with ball then it came loose so looked wrong but I am biased. Difficult to see on replay.  Hall def offside.

56 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Laughable that Fax are claiming a draw as one of Hall's conversions supposedly missed.  If they want to see an injustice Briscoe clearly scored.  I also thought Lineham hit the line with ball then it came loose so looked wrong but I am biased. Difficult to see on replay.  Hall def offside.

From where we were stood it was clear he'd lost the ball a good foot before the line.

44 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

If I remember rightly that in the cup tie at Fax one of Halls kicks was ruled wide when it appeared that it had gone through. My advice is do what Fev have done and get some taller posts.Talk about swings and roundabouts. 

Wasn't it Morgan Smith's drop goal that was ruled out, to the absolute astonishment of the Fev players?

44 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

From where we were stood it was clear he'd lost the ball a good foot before the line.

Pause the replay as he lands and tell me he"s a 'good foot' short (i.e.suggesting more than a foot)

Not sure why I'm asking that - I know what your response will be - whether you believe it or not.

10 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Wasn't it Morgan Smith's drop goal that was ruled out, to the absolute astonishment of the Fev players?

Yeah that as well TPH. But I seem to remember a kick or conversion in the match that everyone including me was astonished when both touch judges waved it away. There has been several incidents regarding goal kicks in my lifetime. Those who are as old as me might remember a cup-tie at Huddersfield I think in 1968. The year after our Wembley win. I think it was a third round tie that Huddersfield won 9-7 after a goal kick was disallowed by Fev that appeared to just scrape over the bar. So I am now officially claiming a draw and a replay at the RFLs earliest convenience 🤣🤣🤣. And it was either in that match or in the league game of the same season that Arnie Morgan sent the crossbar crashing down in the act of scoring in another close game.

Edited by J Phil Loxton
  • Like 1