Jump to content

Next Head Coach


The Voodooguru
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hopefully this is already well down the road for selection. But who do you want? A newly retired ambitious / young coach or an experienced old head?

Buffer, JD, Matty Smith, Ewan Dowes, Gus, Anthony Murray, Willie Poching, Rooney, etc or bring an Australian over and hope he's another Peter Walsh?

Edited by The Voodooguru

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


As we are going to be looking locally for recruitment, it must be a local coach who can sell the club to the local players and can gain the respect of them. That be returning players who couldn't get a game last season or didn't get on with thorman.

Walker and marwood are 2 we need straight away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think at this stage, coaching ability and being able to create a well disciplined team is probably more important than a recognised coaching name as the club are starting to build from the bottom up (again!!)

...plus it'll be a case of who can the club afford, which leans more towards a young inexperienced player coach/coach who is looking to get on the coaching ladder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brookie said:

I'd go for an experienced half back as player coach. Someone along the lines of Ashton when he first started

Ray Ashton ....that's a blast from the past !!

Sure someone from Town told me that that after he was sacked, someone had to go to Oldham to collect his club car and when they got there someone was sleeping rough in it !!

Those Challenge Cup games in a freezing January certainly brings back memories!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As low as we are now, the job is actually a great opportunity. For someone that can motivate and truly coach!!

Imagine if you could get someone who could get the team playing above their individual talents and could identify players with potential.

Get a team that plays good rugby and gives a , and things will happen

We may not be a sleeping giant  anymore, but the support is there.

A GOOD coach could make his name here 

👃👃

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have never liked the idea of player coach, just doesn't work imo. But having said that I'd happily be proved wrong if that was the way the club decided to go. 

I don't think it matters if they are local or not. If they are good enough word soon gets around and the players will want to be involved,  and vice versa. Good local players are well known so it doesn't really take a lot of inside knowledge.

I think Chris ended up way too negative in how the team played. They didn't go out to win every game and the tactics ended up with us getting hammered by not being brave enough. I'd rather we played entertaining rugby than the stuff from last season. If we get beat, then we do it trying to win. So for me it is a must that the new coach isn't afraid to coach a bit of risk & reward into the tactics to entertain the spectators as that's what it's all about, right?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bobg said:

Any ideas on who the new coach will be ? Or indeed has the vacancy been advertised yet? 
🔵⚪

Would have thought it urgent given new coach would want input into recruitment??

Lets hope its much better than this seasons recruitment but we need to press on, other clubs already announcing retention / recruitment etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

I have never liked the idea of player coach, just doesn't work imo. But having said that I'd happily be proved wrong if that was the way the club decided to go. 

I don't think it matters if they are local or not. If they are good enough word soon gets around and the players will want to be involved,  and vice versa. Good local players are well known so it doesn't really take a lot of inside knowledge.

I think Chris ended up way too negative in how the team played. They didn't go out to win every game and the tactics ended up with us getting hammered by not being brave enough. I'd rather we played entertaining rugby than the stuff from last season. If we get beat, then we do it trying to win. So for me it is a must that the new coach isn't afraid to coach a bit of risk & reward into the tactics to entertain the spectators as that's what it's all about, right?

Got hammered because we were too small in the middle and lacked any real pace in our outside backs

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Ray Ashton ....that's a blast from the past !!

Sure someone from Town told me that that after he was sacked, someone had to go to Oldham to collect his club car and when they got there someone was sleeping rough in it !!

Those Challenge Cup games in a freezing January certainly brings back memories!! 

Always rumours, Dessie using his for a taxi etc. One thing for sure, Ray Ashton helped start the turnaround at DP that led to better things at a time when we were also at rock bottom. Brought some decent players in from the local game that wanted to play, Ian McLean being a good example.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Onreport said:

Got hammered because we were too small in the middle and lacked any real pace in our outside backs

Very true, but my point was that given those circumstances we still played a certain style of low risk rugby in attack. Chips over or through a quickly up defensive line, 40/20s, offloads, high kicks to the tallest winger in the league, inventive set attacking plays were all few and far between. We were getting nilled and he seemed to accept this. 

  • Like 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Very true, but my point was that given those circumstances we still played a certain style of low risk rugby in attack. Chips over or through a quickly up defensive line, 40/20s, offloads, high kicks to the tallest winger in the league, inventive set attacking plays were all few and far between. We were getting nilled and he seemed to accept this. 

Yeah, dont dissagree but your winger has to be able to catch a ball which didnt seem his strongest point, had decent pace though which we didnt exploit at all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope we get a statement from the club soon regarding how we are doing regarding the short fall the club found themselves in and how things are shaping up regarding board members and money required, this will probably indicate which way we will be going regarding a new coach , I'm not fussed if it's Wayne Bennett or Basil Fawlty as long as we have a club to follow at this moment in time . UTT 🔵⚪

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, townie88 said:

I'd love to see Gus given a chance (if he wants to that is). Been round the club for years as both a player and coach, coached in the community game and at county level. Massively respected and liked. 

Too nice a guy, definitely not want the club needs. A coach isn’t there to be liked, he’s here to coach and be respected by his players.

the new coach may want a complete clean sweep and fetch his own backroom staff 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Onreport said:

Always rumours, Dessie using his for a taxi etc. One thing for sure, Ray Ashton helped start the turnaround at DP that led to better things at a time when we were also at rock bottom. Brought some decent players in from the local game that wanted to play, Ian McLean being a good example.

If you mean Des Drumm he wasn't there when Ashton was

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...