Jump to content

Licensing returning to super league


Rarefrith
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

There are a number of clubs in the Championship who are bang average to say the least but who's grounds would would actually be Cat A. Halifax is the obvious one, The Shay is almost there even if the club is miles off.

 

I know our pitch condition attracted a fair bit of comment for the Leigh game in February, but The Shay has some long-lasting issues with their pitch and are at the whim of the local council in terms of fixing it, though I believe there was some remedial work done on it in June.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/the-shay-stadium-halifax-pitch-23133725

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 29/09/2022 at 11:46, gittinsfan said:

Have I understood this correctly?

A team being in SL at the end of 2024 is not guaranteed to be in the top flight in 2025.It will all depend on the grading allocated.

Consider the scenario where there are 11 grade “A” teams in SL and 1 grade “B” team. The grade “B” wins SL, but is then relegated because there is a grade “A” team in the championship. How stupid do we look as a sport?

  • Thanks 1

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Consider the scenario where there are 11 grade “A” teams in SL and 1 grade “B” team. The grade “B” wins SL, but is then relegated because there is a grade “A” team in the championship. How stupid do we look as a sport?

They will easily get around that scenario Grinder. They will upgrade the grade B club that won the league to a grade A and then any chance of promoting the top championship club goes out of the window. Sorted.😯

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, POR said:

There's talk of intrducing a nines comp to replace magic if they do I would think they will do the same for the championship Furthermore proposed the sixth round of the Challenge Cup being two-legged, with an aggregate score determining who advances to the quarter-finals. The two-legged proposal has been designed for several reasons;  but one is, to reward non-Super League clubs who advance to the last 16 with the opportunity to host a Super League side 

....or to make sure that a non SL side goes no further if drawn against one of the 'elite'?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not sure the Shay would meet all the criteria of the Facility Standards for SL clubs which should be the threshold for Cat A classification. 

Sorry I meant a good solid Cat B. With a capacity of 14k its almost there, just needs a better stand opposite the main stand but that pretty picky. As a RL ground with both ends standing it's probably better than most of the souless modern grounds.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The most used comments seem to be:

"From what I hear..."

"I was told......"

"There is talk of............."

Each is then followed by another thread.

Why not admit that the proposal that was put forward acknowledged that it excluded a lot of details, which would be clarified/agreed at a later date. What is being sought is an agreement in principle from which the appropriate details for 2023 would be revealed well before that season gets underway. There is a stated commitment that there will be P&R at the end of the 2023 season with all changes taking effect in 2024.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Wysiwyg2 said:

It doesn't matter what you do. Licensing and mergers aren't wanted in the heartlands. IMG long term plan will be franchising clubs in the big cities of Britain. The heartlands will be feeder clubs. Only Saints, Wiggin, Leeds, Hull, London, Newcastle are safe. IMG are here to make a lot of money. They will be targeting a new, young audience throughout Britain over the 12 year contract. The top tier will look a lot different to today's league. They have an Aussie running this project who will be implement an Aussie model of RL.

You seem to imply that there is something wrong with both of these objectives. Is that correct?

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The most used comments seem to be:

"From what I hear..."

"I was told......"

"There is talk of............."

Each is then followed by another thread.

Why not admit that the proposal that was put forward acknowledged that it excluded a lot of details, which would be clarified/agreed at a later date. What is being sought is an agreement in principle from which the appropriate details for 2023 would be revealed well before that season gets underway. There is a stated commitment that there will be P&R at the end of the 2023 season with all changes taking effect in 2024.

You have to accept some people have insider knowledge, they shouldn’t but they do. I’m not one by the way, but I know a man who’s rarely wrong.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The most used comments seem to be:

"From what I hear..."

"I was told......"

"There is talk of............."

Each is then followed by another thread.

Why not admit that the proposal that was put forward acknowledged that it excluded a lot of details, which would be clarified/agreed at a later date. What is being sought is an agreement in principle from which the appropriate details for 2023 would be revealed well before that season gets underway. There is a stated commitment that there will be P&R at the end of the 2023 season with all changes taking effect in 2024.

Thanks Ralph🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, POR said:

There's talk of intrducing a nines comp to replace magic if they do I would think they will do the same for the championship Furthermore proposed the sixth round of the Challenge Cup being two-legged, with an aggregate score determining who advances to the quarter-finals. The two-legged proposal has been designed for several reasons;  but one is, to reward non-Super League clubs who advance to the last 16 with the opportunity to host a Super League side 

So less chance of an upset , a lower tier team might just sneak a single score win against an off form SL team , but who is genuinely going to beat them twice , or avoid a bigger defeat in the second match ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So less chance of an upset , a lower tier team might just sneak a single score win against an off form SL team , but who is genuinely going to beat them twice , or avoid a bigger defeat in the second match ?

  I don't know how they come up with such tripe.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

  I don't know how they come up with such tripe.

Apparently S to guarantee every Super League club an additional home game to help soften the blow of lost attendance revenue from fewer league games, because the'ave scrapped loop fixtures

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

They will easily get around that scenario Grinder. They will upgrade the grade B club that won the league to a grade A and then any chance of promoting the top championship club goes out of the window. Sorted.😯

All Grade As are guaranteed to be in SL

Edit 2 posts in 1!

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Sorry I meant a good solid Cat B. With a capacity of 14k its almost there, just needs a better stand opposite the main stand but that pretty picky. As a RL ground with both ends standing it's probably better than most of the souless modern grounds.

Capacity reported to be 10.2k in a few places but actual number immaterial in this. I had a quick look at the Facility Standards earlier and they appear less rigorous than I thought they were (I've an old copy from 2016 somewhere that I'll try and check if I have time.....and remember!) and SL min capacity is 5k with 2k seats! Championship is 2k with 500 covered seats (the OLP doesn't meet this) and L1 1k with 300 covered seats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Capacity reported to be 10.2k in a few places but actual number immaterial in this. I had a quick look at the Facility Standards earlier and they appear less rigorous than I thought they were (I've an old copy from 2016 somewhere that I'll try and check if I have time.....and remember!) and SL min capacity is 5k with 2k seats! Championship is 2k with 500 covered seats (the OLP doesn't meet this) and L1 1k with 300 covered seats.

How does the Sheffield metropolis fit into this? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, lingaro said:

How does the Sheffield metropolis fit into this? 

The OLP doesn't meet the minimum capacity requirements for the Championship (or a few other things I'd imagine): currently it's 1300ish with 780 seats - and if/when fully developed (3900 capacity and still I think only 780 seats) wouldn't reach SL standard.

As well as the obvious floodlight situation I'm fairly sure our own stadium has some shortfalls wrt minimum SL standards too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, POR said:

There's talk of intrducing a nines comp to replace magic if they do I would think they will do the same for the championship Furthermore proposed the sixth round of the Challenge Cup being two-legged, with an aggregate score determining who advances to the quarter-finals. The two-legged proposal has been designed for several reasons;  but one is, to reward non-Super League clubs who advance to the last 16 with the opportunity to host a Super League side 

WTF......

Lets just have an Its a knockout (for the oldies) event played out by the mascots to determine promotion and relegation.  

Seriously nothing would surprise me......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the IMG announcement something to  to cheer you up on a saturday morning latest news from the bradford Knob Jockey gledhill 

The IMG announcement is good news for established Championship clubs like Bradford, Halifax, London, Newcastle, Widnes and York.who will all get a strong Cat B grading

Espacially the bulls who have the biggest home and away crowds in the championship   and  one of the bestist academy's in the country 

AND in a later podcast FEV will lose points cos we don't have a yuuuth policy  bringing  players through the system and have poor facilities at the ground

Don't you just love him😍🤣🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, POR said:

After the IMG announcement something to  to cheer you up on a saturday morning latest news from the bradford Knob Jockey gledhill 

The IMG announcement is good news for established Championship clubs like Bradford, Halifax, London, Newcastle, Widnes and York.who will all get a strong Cat B grading

Espacially the bulls who have the biggest home and away crowds in the championship   and  one of the bestist academy's in the country 

AND in a later podcast FEV will lose points cos we don't have a yuuuth policy  bringing  players through the system and have poor facilities at the ground

Don't you just love him😍🤣🤣

He’s a dreadfull individual, makes a mockery of the sport. He’s right to a degree I suppose but Bradford fail on many other levels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

He’s a dreadfull individual, makes a mockery of the sport. He’s right to a degree I suppose but Bradford fail on many other levels.

He doesn't need to make a mockery of RL, our leaders of the game continue to do that on a regular basis. As far as i can see these latest proposals from IMG are just a rehash of the old licencing rubbish aimed at protecting the same top end monopoly. I'll be there supporting my club next season but the minute P&R goes that'll be me done and i will concentrate on the amateur game.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Capacity reported to be 10.2k in a few places but actual number immaterial in this. I had a quick look at the Facility Standards earlier and they appear less rigorous than I thought they were (I've an old copy from 2016 somewhere that I'll try and check if I have time.....and remember!) and SL min capacity is 5k with 2k seats! Championship is 2k with 500 covered seats (the OLP doesn't meet this) and L1 1k with 300 covered seats.

Just read that all grade A teams have to own their ground. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

well we’ll well

we have had about 26 years since the inception of super league which has always created more problems and controversy than ever. Never had much problems before that especially with the challenge cup format but hey let’s keep constantly changing everything making it almost a closed shop once again. My best guess is more controversy than ever with these img proposals. I imagine teams like york and bradford will benefit from these changes if they are not tinkered with again or most likely scrapped in a couple of years. Just cannot see fev benefitting from these proposals and the lower league teams will become almost extinct or play amateur rugby with very few fans.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...