Sun 2nd Oct: L1PromFin: Swinton Lions v Doncaster KO 2pm (The Sportsman)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Swinton Lions by 13 points or more
    • Swinton Lions by 7 to 12 points
    • Swinton Lions by 1 to 6 points
    • Doncaster by 1 to 6 points
    • Doncaster by 7 to 12 points
    • Doncaster by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/22 at 14:00

It was decent game and the best team, just about, edged the victory.

I hope Swinton have plans to signficiantly strengthen because that team looks relegation fodder for the Championship. In fact most of the team seemed to be the same guys who played for them the last time they got relegated.

I don't think Doncaster would have fared any better - again, unless they'd have significantly strengthened.

The Champ will be pretty strong next season - it looks like any two from Swinton, Newcastle and - on current recruitment trajectory - the Bulls (possibly throw Whitehaven in there) for the relegation places.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nobody told us about the 2-00pm KO so we missed the first 10 mins.

Didn't you check? The live-stream was shown as starting at 1:45pm several days ago, with a 2pm kick-off.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Congrats to Swindon on getting promoted for another single season sojourn in the championship

I think we were there 5 or 6 years last time, despite being favourites to go down. We know we are up against it but you never know. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave W said:

Swinton celebrating their promotion:

"You can't buy this" comments Paul Rowley, the ex-Leigh and Toronto Wolfpack coach. 

Irony is dead. 

To add to your irony Alan Coleman the Swinton coach and Jack Hansen the Swinton star playmaker are both Leigh lads, as is Paul Rowley.

5 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

It was decent game and the best team, just about, edged the victory.

I hope Swinton have plans to signficiantly strengthen because that team looks relegation fodder for the Championship. In fact most of the team seemed to be the same guys who played for them the last time they got relegated.

I don't think Doncaster would have fared any better - again, unless they'd have significantly strengthened.

The Champ will be pretty strong next season - it looks like any two from Swinton, Newcastle and - on current recruitment trajectory - the Bulls (possibly throw Whitehaven in there) for the relegation places.

A bit harsh Paul, I seem to remember the same being said about Barrow this time last year and they finish 4th, best wait a couple or three months to se how things pan out first before making predictions.

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

A bit harsh Paul, I seem to remember the same being said about Barrow this time last year and they finish 4th, best wait a couple or three months to se how things pan out first before making predictions.

I think Barrow had/have a bit more going for them both on and off the pitch. Like Keighley this season. 

12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Completely different situation Harry

Barrow won promootion at a canter last season and were already recruiting for life in the Championship before the end of the season. They were last seasons equivalent of Keighley this season. And Keighley will easily stay up next season!

Swinton stumbled over the line with a late try in a tight play off game that could have easily gone the other way. Most of their team are the same players who got relegated in 2021 winning only two games all season

Who knows? Maybe they've got a whole raft of player signings to announce. I hope they have - because that team they have now will finish bottom two next year.

13 hours ago, aMAZEYballs said:

Not a great performance by Swinton, but we did enough to get the win. Stepping up is always going to be tough, but I think we’ll have enough in the tank to stay up…

Out of interest who are the two teams you think you can finish above?

I don't think anyone is under any illusions how tough it will be next season, we've just had six seasons in the Championship. The jump in quality is massive and at times it's not much fun seeing the lads struggle against clubs with vastly superior resources. But by the same token, nobody gets much out of putting 80+ points on expansion teams and you have to want to compete as high as possible so up we go and hopefully we can uncover another gem like Matty Ashton who can win us games.

• Like 4