Jump to content

England v Fiji (RLWC warm up game) - Match thread


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

I'm not saying he isn't good. Definitely a decent winger, works hard on the early carries, good finisher etc etc. 

I just wonder what performances the Roosters fan is basing this "literally one of the best in the world" stuff on. It gets trotted out a lot, but it seems utterly without any foundation when you look at the guy's career, and who he has played against. 

He's extremely solid. And that's what England need in big games. He's flash too.

But solid is absolutely what England needs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

What about his golden boot for being the best player in the world? 

In 2018? 

The golden Boot is not (or certainly was not) awarded to the best player in the world. It was awarded to the standout player in international matches that year. Only international matches.

The Kangaroos didn't play the whole year. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stuff Smith said:

He's extremely solid. And that's what England need in big games. He's flash too.

But solid is absolutely what England needs.

Yep - would agree with you. 

I think we saw tonight from England that Wane will prioritise that kind of stuff too: cohesive kick chase, ability to repeat it and grind the oppo down etc etc. It is absolutely what england needs to do to succeed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Madrileño said:

In 2018? 

The golden Boot is not (or certainly was not) awarded to the best player in the world. It was awarded to the standout player in international matches that year. Only international matches.

The Kangaroos didn't play the whole year. 

 

So he was the best player in the world that year then. If the Aussies are scared to play (maybe we now know why since they can't beat Tonga) its not the judging panels fault.

Notice you didn't question Bennett opinion though - something he mentioned again just a few weeks ago in the James Graham podcast cast.

Just because you don't like an opinion, sometimes you have to go with the expert (Bennett) or the facts (the list of Golden Boot winners)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

In 2018? 

The golden Boot is not (or certainly was not) awarded to the best player in the world. It was awarded to the standout player in international matches that year. Only international matches.

The Kangaroos didn't play the whole year. 

 

54 posts to go.... go on lad you can do it this weekend if you keep your head..🤣🤣

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

There's a shock. It's sad to support a sport where the predominant international team have zero interest in playing in international competitions.

Well, it is for me.

It is a div-proof way of holding on to any kind of unbeaten streak, though. And a far better route than the one Worcester Warriors are about to go down. :kolobok_wink:

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

So he was the best player in the world that year then. If the Aussies are scared to play (maybe we now know why since they can't beat Tonga) its not the judging panels fault.

Notice you didn't question Bennett opinion though - something he mentioned again just a few weeks ago in the James Graham podcast cast.

Just because you don't like an opinion, sometimes you have to go with the expert (Bennett) or the facts (the list of Golden Boot winners)

You do know Bennett also said he'll have Adam Reynolds starting in his team over any 6 he's ever coached in his life lol. Bennett is the goat tho if he said Makinson is good than he must be good. I can't judge on Makinson on how good he is because I haven't seen him play.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Just as I expected all over social media. NRL fans can’t believe it they’re pulling “It wasn’t Fiji’s full strength squad”. It’s quite funny that they can’t admit England a good nation and it’s going to be even more funny when Samoa and Tonga get beaten I wonder what excuse they’ll come up with that time.

I don't know much about Fiji but I read they have 4 players who played in the NRL final.

Did they not play tonight?

I did think about your comments about England being under estimated against the Pacific nations when I was watching the game. 

Also it is English conditions here which must be an advantage? Or do they play in Winter in Australia?

Australia only give 30 start to Fiji on the betting, which seems low after tonight?

Edited by Niels
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

There's a shock. It's sad to support a sport where the predominant international team have zero interest in playing in international competitions.

Well, it is for me.

Too bad the northern hemisphere doesn't have something capable of taking the Aussies down a few pegs then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Has to be.  Farnworth is the only specialist club centre in the squad.

This will be the backline.  The key decisions are elsewhere. 

Come on mate, Watkins is a specialist centre. Just because he played in the backrow this year, he's the most natural centre in the squad, maybe even the tournament. It was apparent with how effortlessly he slipped into the position tonight.

I'm quietly excited to see Watkins this tournament, seems like a man reborn with something to prove. With Young outside him it could be a very profitable side for England.

  • Haha 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Niels said:

I don't know much about Fiji but I read they have 4 players who played in the NRL final.

Did they not play tonight?

I did think about your comments about England being under estimated against the Pacific nations when I was watching the game. 

Also it is English conditions here which must be an advantage? Or do they play in Winter in Australia?

Australia only give 30 start to Fiji on the betting, which seems low after tonight?

Koroisau, Kikau, Sivo and Turuva were the main guys missing due to playing in a final last week, Waqa Blake also played in the final but he hasn't come across for the WC. 

Fiji's unfortunately have lost a lot of potential commits for the tournament and had some untimely injuries/suspensions so their lack of depth has been exposed. Even with the players they had out 50 points would have to be disappointing but I agree that a 30 point start for Australia seems like unders at this point. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wished the English played tonga in a warmup game. They named a pretty strong line up against France, and it would've been a good game. That Fijian team is probably the weakest team they've fielded in a world cup. Alot of players pulling out because of injuries and some who didn't even want to play which is sad, considering the Samoans and Tongans are going all out in the world cup. The game against samoa should be a good one.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mojo said:

I wished the English played tonga in a warmup game. They named a pretty strong line up against France, and it would've been a good game. That Fijian team is probably the weakest team they've fielded in a world cup. Alot of players pulling out because of injuries and some who didn't even want to play which is sad, considering the Samoans and Tongans are going all out in the world cup. The game against samoa should be a good one.

Nah that Fijian side definitely is a fair way from being the weakest they've fielded in a World Cup, most of the side are fully professional. 

It's a good runout for players lacking gametime and they've been able to nail down some selections for the first game. 

I'm surprised Samoa haven't sorted out a warmup given they haven't played together as a team before, plus there's a handful who won't have played in over a month before the first game.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UTK said:

Nah that Fijian side definitely is a fair way from being the weakest they've fielded in a World Cup, most of the side are fully professional. 

It's a good runout for players lacking gametime and they've been able to nail down some selections for the first game. 

I'm surprised Samoa haven't sorted out a warmup given they haven't played together as a team before, plus there's a handful who won't have played in over a month before the first game.

Samoa had 8 players that just played in the grand final and most of them just flew to England today. The kangaroos flew in a couple of days ago. So there's no way they'll be able to field a full team for a warmup game.

Edited by Mojo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

How do you know? 

I know England fans trot this out ad nauseum, but what are you personally basing your comment on? Which games specifically?

The guy is 30 years old, and has played a grand total of FIVE international matches in his career. 3 of those were against New Zealand in 2018. Apart from that he has run out against combined Super League "all stars" (sic) teams a couple of times. 

He has never played in the NRL and has played a couple of World Club Challenge games, lost both, include a savage beating by the bunnies in 2015.

He also has never played for Great Britain. 

So which games were these performances where he showed he "is literally  one of the best wingers in the world"?

Are you talking about Super League matches against teams like Huddersfield  Giants? Where St Helens have about 75% possession and zero pressure? Or Cup games against Whitehaven and York City Knights?  

I'd love to know. As far as I can see he has hardly ever played against top quality opposition. Young and Farnworth have played more games against real opposition than this guy has in his entire career! 

To answer question of “How do I know” unlike yourself I watch the sport. I have watched Makinson for a while and he is truly nothing other than simply ‘World Class’ He is the Perfect Winger, 0 Flaws in his game the definition of a world class player. 
 

By your logic of playing ‘quality opposition’ is that every player playing wests tigers instantly . Tommy Makinson Goes up against some of the best wingers in rugby league week in and week out and dominates. 
 

In what sense do St Helens of zero pressure. Does Penrith not have any pressure when playing any team outside the top 4, So Is Cleary , No. You’re judgement of players is completely inconsistent.

And If your asking about him when he plays Top top quality opponents. He plays even better in 2018 Tommy Makinson Had spoken by the great Wayne Bennett Himself  “The greatest ever game he seen someone play” in 50 of coaching so is certainly no slouch when it comes to playing “Quality Opposition”

The part of your statement which annoys me the most is the fact you’ve used the fact he “Hasn’t played in the NRL” as a proper basis to rate a player on. That is purely and utterly Stupid. Guess what there’s a little boy from Rosario, Argentina who is called by many the greatest ever football player whilst having never played in the highest level domestic competition.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Samoa had 8 players that just played in the grand final and most of them just flew to England today. The kangaroos flew in a couple of days ago. So there's no way they'll be able to field a full team for a warmup game.

It's a 24-man squad though and there's plenty of Samoan-eligible players playing in SL that could fill the squads akin to what Fiji, NZ, and Tonga have done so far.

Seems like a poor decision to go into the opener without a hitout first.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

To answer question of “How do I know” unlike yourself I watch the sport. I have watched Makinson for a while and he is truly nothing other than simply ‘World Class’ He is the Perfect Winger, 0 Flaws in his game the definition of a world class player. 
 

By your logic of playing ‘quality opposition’ is that every player playing wests tigers instantly . Tommy Makinson Goes up against some of the best wingers in rugby league week in and week out and dominates. 
 

In what sense do St Helens of zero pressure. Does Penrith not have any pressure when playing any team outside the top 4, So Is Cleary , No. You’re judgement of players is completely inconsistent.

And If your asking about him when he plays Top top quality opponents. He plays even better in 2018 Tommy Makinson Had spoken by the great Wayne Bennett Himself  “The greatest ever game he seen someone play” in 50 of coaching so is certainly no slouch when it comes to playing “Quality Opposition”

The part of your statement which annoys me the most is the fact you’ve used the fact he “Hasn’t played in the NRL” as a proper basis to rate a player on. That is purely and utterly Stupid. Guess what there’s a little boy from Rosario, Argentina who is called by many the greatest ever football player whilst having never played in the highest level domestic competition.

OK.

So as I said: What games (against which opposition) has he shown to be "literally one of the best in the world"? 

When you say he is up against "some of the best wingers in Rugby League".... who??? 

You can't name one game where he has gone well against really top level opposition.

You keep citing 2018. 4 years ago. When he was 26. I live in the present. 

You seem to be a Chooks fan: he's literally miles behind Tupou. How does he stack up against Sua'ali'i? He wouldn't even make their starting team.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, UTK said:

It's a 24-man squad though and there's plenty of Samoan-eligible players playing in SL that could fill the squads akin to what Fiji, NZ, and Tonga have done so far.

Seems like a poor decision to go into the opener without a hitout first.

Samoa's whole backline played in the final lol Tonga didn't have anyone playing in the nrl final and the Kiwis are playing a club team. Leuluai and Isa are the only ones filling in. Samoa definitely don't have the budget to bring in samoan backs around England. Tonga has the Woolfs connection with some of the St Helen's Boys filling in. And Woolf also said the players filling in still have a chance to make the 24 man squad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

OK.

So as I said: What games (against which opposition) has he shown to be "literally one of the best in the world"? 

When you say he is up against "some of the best wingers in Rugby League".... who??? 

You can't name one game where he has gone well against really top level opposition.

You keep citing 2018. 4 years ago. When he was 26. I live in the present. 

You seem to be a Chooks fan: he's literally miles behind Tupou. How does he stack up against Sua'ali'i? He wouldn't even make their starting team.

 

 

Ok I’ll answer all yours questions because I somehow haven’t made it clear enough in post before.

1. New Zealand National Rugby League

The New Zealand national rugby league team (Māori: Tīma rīki motu Aotearoa) has represented New Zealand in rugby leaguesince 1907. Administered by the New Zealand Rugby League, they are commonly known as the Kiwis, after the native bird of that name. The team's colours are black and white, with the dominant colour being black, and the players perform a haka before every match they play as a challenge to their opponents

(Wikipedia Definition to help you understand)

2. Bevan French, Ryan Hall, Jermaine McGillvary, Tom Johnstone Etc.

 

3. I have named one “quality” team where he played well against in the Post before, but as you haven’t seemed to see it i will repeat.

England Vs New Zealand | Anfield

November 4th 2018.

Tommy Makinson played and I quote Wayne Bennett “The greatest game I have seen from a rugby league player”.

Wayne Bennett is a rugby league Coach regarded by many as the greatest coach of all time and the man with highest knowledge of the sport and he has been involved coaching for 50 years.

Wayne James Bennett AM (born 1 January 1950), also known by the nickname "Benny",[3]is an Australian professional rugby leaguecoach who was signed in late 2021 for three years by the Dolphins in readiness and preparation for their inaugural 2023 season in the National Rugby League competition.[4] He was previously the head coach of the South Sydney Rabbitohs among other clubs, and a former rugby league footballer.

4. I keep citing 2018 as your asking for a game he played against “High quality opposition” and played Well.

If you want present, Rewacth every game he has played this year and then you’ll see how good he is presently.

5. As a roosters fan your simply wrong. I would rather Makinson over Suaalii but not Tupou. Suaalii would then swap to centre. Makinson is simply to world class to leave out of any squad. 
 

Hopefully that answers your questions and if you are thinking “He did not tell me a game he played well against quality opposition” Re-Read question 3, I repeat QUESTION 3.

Goodbye. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Ok I’ll answer all yours questions because I somehow haven’t made it clear enough in post before.

1. New Zealand National Rugby League

The New Zealand national rugby league team (Māori: Tīma rīki motu Aotearoa) has represented New Zealand in rugby leaguesince 1907. Administered by the New Zealand Rugby League, they are commonly known as the Kiwis, after the native bird of that name. The team's colours are black and white, with the dominant colour being black, and the players perform a haka before every match they play as a challenge to their opponents

(Wikipedia Definition to help you understand)

2. Bevan French, Ryan Hall, Jermaine McGillvary, Tom Johnstone Etc.

 

3. I have named one team where he played well against in the Post before, but as you haven’t seemed to see i will repeat.

England Vs New Zealand | Anfield

November 4th 2018.

Tommy Makinson played and I quote Wayne Bennett “The greatest game I have seen from a rugby league”.

Wayne Bennett is a rugby league Coach regarded by many as the greatest coach of all time and the man with highest knowledge of the sport.

Wayne James Bennett AM (born 1 January 1950), also known by the nickname "Benny",[3]is an Australian professional rugby leaguecoach who was signed in late 2021 for three years by the Dolphins in readiness and preparation for their inaugural 2023 season in the National Rugby League competition.[4] He was previously the head coach of the South Sydney Rabbitohs among other clubs, and a former rugby league footballer.

4. I keep citing 2018 as your asking for a game he played against “High quality opposition” and played Well.

If you want present, Rewacth every game he has played this year and then you’ll see how good he is presently.

5. As a roosters fan your simply wrong. I would rather Makinson over Suaalii but not Tupou. Suaalii would then swap to centre. Makinson is simply to world class to leave out of any squad. 
 

Hopefully that answers your questions and if you are thinking “He did not tell me a game he played well against quality opposition” Re-Read question 3, I repeat QUESTION 3.

Goodbye. 

 

 

 

 

 

As a Wigan fan have to agree with this - Makinson one of the very very best 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...