RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I wouldnt say as low as 30k, that would only be 50% full. I guessed around 35k but knew it would be announced in the 40's.

But tbf, having never been to that ground it's difficult to get a feel for it. 

14 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I was there with an Arsenal fan who stated with some confidence it was over 35k. Which, with no shows, could get to the figure announced. I am happy to bow to their greater knowledge. 

Just back home and absolutely gutted like everyone else. A great pre-match in Covent Garden and then a fairly easy hop to to the stadium, notwithstanding a signal failure causing a short delay on the Piccadilly line. Once in the stadium though, things somehow felt flat from the off. I’ve been there several times previously and, in my view, there was 25,000 max in the stadium. Our section had almost nobody in it and the atmosphere was lacking something from the start. Of course, as with most sports, it requires the team to spark things and it simply never happened. In hindsight, may have been better to take the game to a London stadium with a more realistic chance of being filled - the Emirates was simply too big.

As for the game itself, hugely disappointing and the Samoans fully deserved their win. Good luck to them in the final, although I expect that Australia will win reasonably comfortably. Another missed opportunity is how it feels......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I do think we need to be really really careful about this kind of attitude. Are casual fans the golden goose? Are they gonna spend the money? Are they gonna subscribe? How many convert to be regular fans? 

For me we should be welcoming of everyone, even those nobs sat near me today, but we need to be careful thinking those are going to change the fortunes of RL to a great extent. 

They have limited opportunities to go and be involved, so whilst getting a quite good crowd in London once a year may be nice, we do need to work out what benefit we are gonna get from that. 

Who were the nobs and why were they nobs....the drink ?

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Maybe. We need new fans, from wherever, but getting randoms in for a test match every couple of years will change nowt. We've been doing it for decades. As with all areas of our game, it needs a plan. 

I have been slagged off for saying this semi should of been in the north but after what I saw today that game deserved a full house....maybe getting Eddie Hearns to promote games like today might of worked and maybe we should ask Twickers for advice on how they sell out all the time.

Just now, EggFace said:

I have been slagged off for saying this semi should of been in the north but after what I saw today that game deserved a full house....maybe getting Eddie Hearns to promote games like today might of worked and maybe we should ask Twickers for advice on how they sell out all the time.

Mate you keep on saying it deserved a full house in the heartlands despite the fact that the heartlands hasn’t been close to a full house all tournament…. and where in the heartlands would you hold it?

Manchester has the final. Anfield didn’t seemingly want in and would leave you two consecutive north west big games to sell on top of the numerous group games. Yorkshire has no stadium that can fit 40,000. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Who were the nobs and why were they nobs....the drink ?

I think more drugs tbh, but defo drinks. 

Hollering, howling, shouting random things and all roaring laughing, shouting obscenities to each other across groups etc. 

Just being a pain in the ass basically. 

• Like 2

It’s a good stadium, however, even when the ground is full the atmosphere is lacking a bit (library) ... which is not just the crowd. It was noticeable today, that with the middle rings empty (club & platinum levels), the higher level stands are very disconnected to the ones at ground level, which breaks up the crowd / atmosphere. 
Harking back to several comments on this thread; with more intelligent ticket selling, the spaces would have been filled. Firstly, sell the tickets in the gods only after the main ground level ring has been sold, leave the corners part sold and don’t bother selling tickets right up in the top seats. Either open club level (which could have been costly/ problematic) or cover blocks of seats with sponsors Cazoo banners. 
Alternatively play the game at Spuds or Chelsea .. anywhere where the middle ring of the ground doesn’t have to be shut off and therefore empty

• Thanks 1

Really frustrated that we had yet another crowd where sections were sold out but heaps of seats were free on the day. I have no sense at all what Old Trafford will look like next week - 40k in, 65k announced? 

The attendance was an invention today. I am not sure whether to feel let down by the number that London delivered or to be ###### of at the organisers for making it appear that you couldn't buy tickets because almost every seat was taken. Probably both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Hollering, howling, shouting random things and all roaring laughing, shouting obscenities to each other across groups etc. 

Not good that...lagar and Coke are evil 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Welcome to 'progressive' london

1 hour ago, pahars said:

Mate you keep on saying it deserved a full house in the heartlands despite the fact that the heartlands hasn’t been close to a full house all tournament…. and where in the heartlands would you hold it?

Manchester has the final. Anfield didn’t seemingly want in and would leave you two consecutive north west big games to sell on top of the numerous group games. Yorkshire has no stadium that can fit 40,000. 

I know I know just ###### off this excellent game should of been played packed out.

Just turned over to last 30 minutes of France v Springboks and it doesn't sound like a classic but sold out pumping crowd and Gabby Logan and hosts are making it sound how great it was....just wish the whole of Rugby Union world were watching our game today...life is unfair

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EggFace said:

I know I know just ###### off this excellent game should of been played packed out.

Just turned over to last 30 minutes of France v Springboks and it doesn't sound like a classic but sold out pumping crowd and Gabby Logan and hosts are making it sound how great it was....just wish the whole of Rugby Union world were watching our game today...life is unfair

Balls to union. We need to worry about ourselves and not them. 

I'm sure people will mock this again, but the event was just absolutely rubbish. Like really really poor. 

Nowt going on around the ground, or if there was there was no indication of how to find it. 

I got in the ground with an hour to go, and it felt like a morgue. Just nowt going on, no effort in the slightest. I don't understand why there isn't any music build up or anything. 

I was at the game on my own, and tbh I just moved between the seat and the concourses havibg a drink. 

RLWC organisers are clueless when it comes to fan engagement. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm sure people will mock this again, but the event was just absolutely rubbish. Like really really poor. 

Nowt going on around the ground, or if there was there was no indication of how to find it. 

I got in the ground with an hour to go, and it felt like a morgue. Just nowt going on, no effort in the slightest. I don't understand why there isn't any music build up or anything. 

I was at the game on my own, and tbh I just moved between the seat and the concourses havibg a drink. 

This has been one of the common themes in this world cup and absolutely lays at the door of the organisers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I would be surprised if there were 30k actually there. Probably 10k in "free" tickets announced as sales. 

Strange that they said 45k sold earlier in the week, looked like 20k max. Tho I keep hearing how we get our best crowds in London 🤔 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Nothing to mock there mate, nice to hear an assessment from someone who was there. 

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

40,489 is one of our best crowds.

Looking at it, and knowing the size of the ground, do you think there were 40k there? Genuine question because having been there to watch Norwich when quite full and seeing it on tv today I don’t think the crowd was anywhere near that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Looking at it, and knowing the size of the ground, do you think there were 40k there? Genuine question because having been there to watch Norwich when quite full and seeing it on tv today I don’t think the crowd was anywhere near that. 

We can either discuss the crowd given or pluck crowds from thin air. I think making up random numbers is pretty pointless. I certainly don't think the crowd was 20k max as per your assertion.

• Like 1

The average attendance so far, only counting the mens games, looks like it will be very close to that of the 2017 WC let alone the 2013 one.

68 thousand have to turn up at Old Trafford, to beat the 2017 average attendance per match, with an Australia v Samoa final I think that's a tall order.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

We can either discuss the crowd given or pluck crowds from thin air. I think making up random numbers is pretty pointless. I certainly don't think the crowd was 20k max as per your assertion.

Hands up, 20k was a ridiculous exaggeration but it was around 30k, certainly nowhere near 40. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dirkgee said:

The average attendance so far, only counting the mens games, looks like it will be very close to that of the 2017 WC let alone the 2013 one.

68 thousand have to turn up at Old Trafford, to beat the 2017 average attendance per match, with an Australia v Samoa final I think that's a tall order.

70k sold already, we’ll sneak in 👌 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

Balls to union. We need to worry about ourselves and not them. 

Balls not to Union as they are doing very well but I think  the NRL should work hard that they  could take over the Pacific Islands and catchments in Australia and New Zealand after today and righty so and that be balls to the IRB.

Edited by EggFace
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Your dedication has been fantastic... I stopped after Fiji v Italy mate but loved the game today but London can do one as they don't like Rugby League and it seems its the 4th Football code after Soccer, Union and NFL yet some people on this forum are happy with the crowd.

• Like 1