RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

2 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

No they made a firm commitment in 2019/20 when tickets went on sale, to be fair 

They had a pricing re-set a month ago, when they recategorised which areas were priced at what price (which I know p*ssed you off in the moment), and bottled it up when it was their final opportunity to fix things. Shame, but now it is what it is.

Do you have any links to commitments in 2020 when they announced tickets? 

Because not a single one I have read about ticket launches, early birds, updates etc mentioned it. I recall some talk about securing the best seats, but never any kind of explicit price guarantee. It feels like that's something that would have been prominently mentioned if it was their sales focus. 

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/240/were-putting-you-the-fan,-first-as-the-rlwc2021-ticket-prices-are-announced

Just now, RigbyLuger said:

So what is a "feel good event" then? I went to a game at the Women's Euros. There was nothing different about that than any of the games I've been to at this.

You mean they didn't have a bit of music and some cheap pyro to perk you up?

All the games I have been to seem to have been enjoyed by all. Seems to be a bit of a myth coming from TV watchers for some reason.

Likewise the Royal London final I went to for cricket was enjoyed by all without gimmickry. 

Just now, RigbyLuger said:

So what is a "feel good event" then? I went to a game at the Women's Euros. There was nothing different about that than any of the games I've been to at this.

In most instances they have done little more than open a stadium and stage a game of RL after some anthems. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Likewise the Royal London final I went to for cricket was enjoyed by all without gimmickry. 

The one played before a quarter full Trent Bridge?

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Because not a single one I have read about ticket launches, early birds, updates etc mentioned it. I recall some talk about securing the best seats, but never any kind of explicit price guarantee. It feels like that's something that would have been prominently mentioned if it was their sales focus. 

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/240/were-putting-you-the-fan,-first-as-the-rlwc2021-ticket-prices-are-announced

I’ll try and look it up, only my memory to be fair

To be honest though, think it’s important regardless. As an early-booking, best seat bloke myself there’s nothing more annoying than seeing Groupon offers in the week before… 😡 

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Worked in football for years where we weren't allowed to discount any games, including against lower league opposition. The accepted compromise was to offer deals only to closed lists - schools, medics, police, fire service - while still keeping the public message of no discounts. Always hard to know what the marketing plan is, but I would have tried something similar

• Like 1

Just now, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I’ll try and look it up, only my memory to be fair

To be honest though, think it’s important regardless. As an early-booking, best seat bloke myself there’s nothing more annoying than seeing Groupon offers in the week before… 😡 

I don't disagree with the principle - and I think there is a place for Price Promise style promotions. If I was doing it, and felt it was a huge issue in RL I'd be shouting it from rooftops and banging on about it at earky bird stage. It'd form a big part of my messaging. 

Now, it genuinely may have been, not all articles are there now, but I can't find a mention of it from articles 2 years ago. That doesn't mean it wasn't said though, it was an honest ask. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cowardly Fan said:

Worked in football for years where we weren't allowed to discount any games, including against lower league opposition. The accepted compromise was to offer deals only to closed lists - schools, medics, police, fire service - while still keeping the public message of no discounts. Always hard to know what the marketing plan is, but I would have tried something similar

Yes, I think that's the smarter way of going. The challenge is that this approach is far more resource heavy than a mass discount. 

10 minutes ago, Leonard said:

You mean they didn't have a bit of music and some cheap pyro to perk you up?

All the games I have been to seem to have been enjoyed by all. Seems to be a bit of a myth coming from TV watchers for some reason.

It does make you wonder - pricing is spot on, the event is great, the organisers appear to be beyond criticism. 

Why do you think we are playing games with 3 to 6k in? 

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The one played before a quarter full Trent Bridge?

Yup - the one between B team squads where the only game on TV was the final and with no promotion because all the rounds were during the hundred.

It had Lizzie Jones singing the anthem as well - so surprised it wasn't sold out with Kent fans travelling for an 11am start.

Edited by Leonard

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Yup - the one between B team squads where the only game on TV was the final and with no promotion because all the rounds were during the hundred.

Yes, very aware.

A quite bizarre example to use when talking about why crowds in this tournament are stubbornly low.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I'm not posting about feel good factors and the need for peripherals.

That was a cracking day enjoyed by all without them.

C'est la vie.

The Royal London was unpromoted and not presented as a must see event.

Thus ... it got a very low crowd.

You're sort of proving the point about needing to create events.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

I have also felt RL suffers from trying to be like football. Yes, we have passionate supporters. But they are not football fans. They don’t sing at every opportunity. They don’t turn up in their many many thousands. The cultures are different. Yet we expect atmospheres at all games like those at football. I think the authorities absolutely fall into the same trap…

Interesting observation and I think you are right. I watch RL differently than football. There is more to take in (not least all the rules) which means I concentrate more. I think that is true more generally which probably explains the lower levels of chanting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The Royal London was unpromoted and not presented as a must see event.

Thus ... it got a very low crowd.

You're sort of proving the point about needing to create events.

Yup, also the attitude of "£25 is fine and we don't need music and cheap pyro" is pretty much exactly the same as what the organisers have demonstrated. With the same results. 

• Like 1

More than 9,000 turned out btw- on about 10 days notice and with planned rail strikes - latterly stopped due to the Queen passing.

"Quarter Full" - if it fits your incorrect narrative - carry on.

Edited by Leonard

4 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Interesting observation and I think you are right. I watch RL differently than football. There is more to take in (not least all the rules) which means I concentrate more. I think that is true more generally which probably explains the lower levels of chanting. 

Don't need chanting for it to be a good atmosphere.

Before a game starts you can feel a electric atmosphere.

The play on the park creates the atmosphere and excitement...aka dom young runs. The crowd noise increase at key moments or cheering each tackle...etc etc

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leonard said:

More than 9,000 turned out btw- on about 10 days notice and with planned rail strikes - latterly stopped due to the Queen passing.

We get it, you're easily pleased!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Leonard said:

A half empty ground that could have been fuller if more effort had been put in absolutely fits my narrative, so thanks.

9,000 is more than half the capacity. I watched it on the TV. That's a union calculator in action. But, no matter. The fact remains it was a low crowd and nobody made any effort to raise it.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I also recall some sort of reference about pricing, I’m sure there was an early bird offer where it stated (paraphrasing) ‘they won’t be cheaper than this again’.

I do think they need to hold the pricing tho, rugby league is terrible for last minute fire sales. Personally I never buy for events until the last minute, even when I know I’m going to go because I don’t want to have paid over the odds - it’s become a trained/learned behaviour due to years of RFL last minute discounts. If there is one positive from the RLWC approach it could the be the RFL using it is an opp to reset their pricing approach. 

Edited by Odsal Outlaw
  • Like 2

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

BBC want it in the day though. 

The BBC have shown all of our evening games including putting Australia v Scotland on BBC Two on a Friday night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

On about England games mate

The ones that have done well for crowds and don't need a boost?

Understood.

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Was talking about atmosphere not attendance so clearly you didnt

Sorry that I made the assumption that you were making those points on an attendance thread because you wanted to link them to attendance.