WOMENS TEAM TO BE LAUNCHED AT TOWN!

WTRLFC WEBSITE

13 hours ago, dkw said:

Should definitely be called Workingtin Unicorns.

That's what I was thinking, links brilliantly with the club, I hope it's successful as the more DP is used the better, we've seen what a success the Reds ladies teams have been at DP I think it wonderful, also Derwent Park Rangers are hoping to start back up for all ages from 5s to 16s this is just what the club needs, a development pathway that hopefully keeps the best youngsters at the club.

Well done everyone UTT 💙🤍

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hate the rec said:

That's what I was thinking, links brilliantly with the club, I hope it's successful as the more DP is used the better, we've seen what a success the Reds ladies teams have been at DP I think it wonderful, also Derwent Park Rangers are hoping to start back up for all ages from 5s to 16s this is just what the club needs, a development pathway that hopefully keeps the best youngsters at the club.

Well done everyone UTT 💙🤍

This idea of starting a Derwent Park Rangers club up would be detrimental to the local community clubs already running these age groups, and were will all these new players and coach's come from.   

20 minutes ago, JMB said:

This idea of starting a Derwent Park Rangers club up would be detrimental to the local community clubs already running these age groups, and were will all these new players and coach's come from.   

Exactly this! The kids in Workington who want to play rugby are already playing at either Seaton or Distington. DPR only succeeds by taking players from existing clubs there isnt a pool of players waiting to be attracted to the game and anyone who thinks there is are badly out of touch

Edited by gillmeister

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

28 minutes ago, pmac said:

There will always be for and against , but this is a excellent idea for a pathway for players to be homegrown and in time the club can rely on local players instead of going into Lancashire or Yorkshire.

Where do you think players like Fitzy, Caine, Malik, Ciaran, Tom Curwen, and on and on and on have come from? 

Edited by Gillmeister80
  • Like 1

Just now, pmac said:

Seaton mate thou you cant knock this new chapter for workington town or any other club who is trying to get a new youth set up.

That’s what scholarships are for. Name another professional club that lends its stadium and club crest to an amateur team?

I’m all for another youth team with a plan to increase the amount of players and I hope that’s the case or it really risks burning all bridges with at least the community club I’m heavily involved in 

Tbh i cant thou this was a idea that went back when i was involved in coaching youth teams , with a ex seaton player say 15 yrs ago and it didnt go down well with some local ameteur clubs back then , so the idea wasnt pursued , thou i am not involved in the game now and what i do know encouraging new young players to the game has to be a winner all day long for me , and if the new club sells it to a wider area say outside seaton and Distington and more Workington based say like Moorclose , salterbeck , westfield and Northside and the numbers are heathy what is the concern.

8 minutes ago, pmac said:

Tbh i cant thou this was a idea that went back when i was involved in coaching youth teams , with a ex seaton player say 15 yrs ago and it didnt go down well with some local ameteur clubs back then , so the idea wasnt pursued , thou i am not involved in the game now and what i do know encouraging new young players to the game has to be a winner all day long for me , and if the new club sells it to a wider area say outside seaton and Distington and more Workington based say like Moorclose , salterbeck , westfield and Northside and the numbers are heathy what is the concern.

Agree. Hopefully there are 200 young people out there in the town who don’t already play and will be encouraged to do so but as someone who’s at the coal face it’s hard to get lads to play the sport. Do you think kells and Hensinghams youth are all from kells and Hensingham? 

Your talking about long established clubs P , with good hard working volunteers wanting the best for their clubs , but this is more of ex players who are WTRLFC fans through and through who have had a crack and thought lets give something back , we all agree that enough young people aint involved in any sporting activities , but you have to look at the success of the young teams involved in Reds and how many girls teams are doing well , to me this is a non - brainer mate and has to be giving a chance.

If Town raised a new youth team without any young players been poached from other local clubs that would be great, but i doubt they would be able to, plus they will have to apply to the local league to start up, then voted in by the present local community clubs. 

21 hours ago, pmac said:

There will always be for and against , but this is a excellent idea for a pathway for players to be homegrown and in time the club can rely on local players instead of going into Lancashire or Yorkshire.

First hurdle to pass is to get into the West Cumbria youth leagues. 

20 hours ago, pmac said:

I think Town would have been better setting up a Scholarship Team it costs lots of money to set up all these ages groups that's been discussed. Every single player from each age group have to pay into a central RfL fund. Were do we get coaches from extra referees from all the helpers from. I know first hand having all these teams doesn't necessarily bring more cash into clubs. Finally will the field stand up to all those teams to play on including ladies rugby and football I don't think so. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Carlisle1921 said:

I dont think its a coincidence that we are trying to launch a womens and kids section a few weeks after they announced that licencing was coming back. I imagine they will be high on the list of categories which will get you ranked better.

But it’s a separate amateur club with nothing to do with the club other than using the stadium as a selling point isn’t it?? 

Really hope these initiatives come through for the club,the zebras seem to have a thriving women's section and play in the winter so a few may double up for the summer also with the links to the football ladies there will always be a few who will give it a go.

As for a youth set up anyone who is willing to invest in especially the youngest kids in the town needs encouragement and shouldn't be deterred by any other clubs ,plenty of kids out on the estates who need a more centrally located club to attend 

• Like 3