1. 1. Who will win?

• Tonga by 13 points or more
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/11/22 at 15:00

5 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I think Woolf deserves a bit of criticism for his spine selections.

Staggering that they ended up with Koloamatangi alongside Lolohea. Hopoate shouldn't have been there. Young Koula or Niu would have been absolutely fine. One domino fell and the shifts in personnel completely blunted their creativity.

In a way you admire the loyalty and faith in Hopoate, but it really came back to hinder them yesterday.

Thats Woolf's major flaw as a coach, his reluctance to drop certain players who aren't performing. Luckily it didn't come back to bite Saints in the GF by him picking Hopoate, but it certainly did yesterday for Tonga. Though he wasn't the main reason they lost, their halves have been awful all tournament.

That said even with sicknote Hopoate and 2 gash halves they still only lost by 2 points to Samoa. While it wont be another 60 point mauling I still think England will win by plenty. Some of these so called 'NRL Superstars' just haven't performed have been shown to be so overhyped.

At least we can all laugh at gobby Gould choking on his Kangaroo burger as many of his beloved NRL stars have been getting smashed 🤣

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Thats Woolf's major flaw as a coach, his reluctance to drop certain players who aren't performing. Luckily it didn't come back to bite Saints in the GF by him picking Hopoate, but it certainly did yesterday for Tonga. Though he wasn't the main reason they lost, their halves have been awful all tournament.

That said even with sicknote Hopoate and 2 gash halves they still only lost by 2 points to Samoa. While it wont be another 60 point mauling I still think England will win by plenty. Some of these so called 'NRL Superstars' just haven't performed have been shown to be so overhyped.

At least we can all laugh at gobby Gould choking on his Kangaroo burger as many of his beloved NRL stars have been getting smashed 🤣

Have they been though?

The best England players have been the NRL 5 plus Makinson. The PNG side England beat had 4 English based players I think. 

7 of the other quarter finalists featured mostly NRL players. 

• Like 1

Put Tonga or Samoa with a couple of Mitchell Moses quality Half's and they'd be missing it with anybody 

It will be interesting to see how the Aussies get on without their big Polynesian ( yes I know they are actually Aussies ) forwards against NZ and England 

2 hours ago, Niels said:

Have they been though?

The best England players have been the NRL 5 plus Makinson. The PNG side England beat had 4 English based players I think. 

7 of the other quarter finalists featured mostly NRL players. 

England's best players haven't been the 5 NRL players (it's actually 6).

Of the 6, Young, Radley and Burgess have been outstanding.  Thompson didn't even play in the quarter final and Whitehead and Farnworth have been good without being one of our standouts.

If I had to name our best so far I would include Hill, Makinson, Watkins, Williams and Welsby before some of the NRL based players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

England's best players haven't been the 5 NRL players (it's actually 6).

Of the 6, Young, Radley and Burgess have been outstanding.  Thompson didn't even play in the quarter final and Whitehead and Farnworth have been good without being one of our standouts.

If I had to name our best so far I would include Hill, Makinson, Watkins, Williams and Welsby before some of the NRL based players.

Slightly related but realised only 4 players in the starting 13 on Saturday had no NRL experience - Makinson, Welsby, Hill and McIllorum.

(Knowles, Lees and McMeeken on the bench). 

Plenty of Southern Hemisphere rugby experience in this England side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't watch the game yesterday, watched it today after work. Wow,what a game,not a single inch given by either side. Match of the tournament thus far. I even stayed away from the news. I didn't know the score before I watched it. I just hope it took a lot out them for when they play England. This will be a different Samoa at weekend.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Slightly related but realised only 4 players in the starting 13 on Saturday had no NRL experience - Makinson, Welsby, Hill and McIllorum.

(Knowles, Lees and McMeeken on the bench). 

Plenty of Southern Hemisphere rugby experience in this England side.

And they all would have done great things in Australia if they played there. 
Welsby will go in the future imo. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador