Can top class RL survive in the Northern Hemisphere?

Apart from a bad defeat for England yesterday,the way this World Cup has panned out could have big implications for RL in the Northern Hemisphere.

Apart from England the performances of France,Scotland and Ireland have been woeful.An honourable mention to John Kear and Wales but at the end of the day a part time squad was unlikely to have a major impact.

There are suggestions for 4 Nations tournaments etc but as the power of International RL rests solely with the NRL clubs is this likely to happen?

Samoa and Tonga seem to have overtaken us and who can be confident that Fiji and PNG won't in the next few years.

On the domestic front SL fails to make much progress with declining crowds and only 3 teams capable of making any impact.

Sky have reduced payments and who knows what the future will bring with them.

An amateur scene significantly reduced in numbers over the last 10 years is not producing the talent we need.

Overall a depressing summary and I,m sure there are enough enthusiasts to keep the game going-but as for growth I doubt it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Apart from a bad defeat for England yesterday,the way this World Cup has panned out could have big implications for RL in the Northern Hemisphere.

Apart from England the performances of France,Scotland and Ireland have been woeful.An honourable mention to John Kear and Wales but at the end of the day a part time squad was unlikely to have a major impact.

There are suggestions for 4 Nations tournaments etc but as the power of International RL rests solely with the NRL clubs is this likely to happen?

Samoa and Tonga seem to have overtaken us and who can be confident that Fiji and PNG won't in the next few years.

On the domestic front SL fails to make much progress with declining crowds and only 3 teams capable of making any impact.

Sky have reduced payments and who knows what the future will bring with them.

An amateur scene significantly reduced in numbers over the last 10 years is not producing the talent we need.

Overall a depressing summary and I,m sure there are enough enthusiasts to keep the game going-but as for growth I doubt it.

If ALL Clubs get serious about developing juniors we will be fine, but it needs ALL clubs on board.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

If ALL Clubs get serious about developing juniors we will be fine, but it needs ALL clubs on board.

Exactly,we need to back our juniors. But as you said it'll take everyone to do it. Nurture these kids to play and improve. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I agree.

It's a bit like saying if ALL countries get serious about climate change we'll be fine (perhaps) but it needs ALL countries on board.

There's always hope, just not necessarily much.

23 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It seems there are thoughts in the RFL at least that "getting serious" about junior RL doesn't look the same for all clubs. I don't necessarily disagree having seen it myself.

Just accept the sport for what it is. Highly entertaining but only appealing to a small passionate population with limited growth potential. Reality is we want the spot to be head-lining but then need to take a look in the mirror: run down club stadiums, few sells outs, no high profile stars.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Just as well we've signed a 12 year agreement designed to address a lot of that.

What agreement is this gj? 

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

26 minutes ago, Jacob565 said:

Just accept the sport for what it is. Highly entertaining but only appealing to a small passionate population with limited growth potential. Reality is we want the spot to be head-lining but then need to take a look in the mirror: run down club stadiums, few sells outs, no high profile stars.

Always great to have a new voice - but such a gloomy “know your place peasants” start.

Out of interest, and on a positive note, what team do you support? Who would be in your team of the tournament?

Rather than pointing the finger at Australia and the NRL let’s look closer to home, first. It’s nobodies fault but The RFL’s. They’re not fit for purpose, their governance of the international side is, frankly, embarrassing and the decisions made in recent years have been farcical, at best. 

Since the 2017 World Cup Final, England and Great Britain (which itself was a strange nostalgia trip) have lost to New Zealand three times and lost to Tonga, Samoa, PNG and the Combined Nations All-Stars rep side. Three wins and a big win against Samoa in the opening game has been as good as it’s got. Six defeats from sixteen internationals for a nation like England/GB is frankly abysmal. Failing to get to a World Cup Final under a draw that saw them unable to play a Tier One nation until the final was an abject failure on the part of all involved. 

A root and branch review into The RFL’s governance and the England set-up altogether is needed urgently. Pointing the finger at the Southern Hemisphere is unwarranted, unhelpful and deflecting from the truth. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Always great to have a new voice - but such a gloomy “know your place peasants” start.

Out of interest, and on a positive note, what team do you support? Who would be in your team of the tournament?

RU ex player and fan, for RL follow Leeds and Keighley (go to one game a year typically). Didn’t want to sound dismissive just get annoyed when I don’t see any proper attempts to grow the game but then we try and shoot for the stars by picking big stadiums etc!

i enjoyed all the South Pacific teams.

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Rather than pointing the finger at Australia and the NRL let’s look closer to home, first. It’s nobodies fault but The RFL’s. They’re not fit for purpose, their governance of the international side is, frankly, embarrassing and the decisions made in recent years have been farcical, at best. 

Since the 2017 World Cup Final, England and Great Britain (which itself was a strange nostalgia trip) have lost to New Zealand three times and lost to Tonga, Samoa, PNG and the Combined Nations All-Stars rep side. Three wins and a big win against Samoa in the opening game has been as good as it’s got. Six defeats from sixteen internationals for a nation like England/GB is frankly abysmal. Failing to get to a World Cup Final under a draw that saw them unable to play a Tier One nation until the final was an abject failure on the part of all involved. 

A root and branch review into The RFL’s governance and the England set-up altogether is needed urgently. Pointing the finger at the Southern Hemisphere is unwarranted, unhelpful and deflecting from the truth. 

Is anyone actually pointing a finger at Australia? I don’t disagree with the rest of your post.

Edited by Gomersall

Just now, Gomersall said:

Is anyone actually pointing a finger at Australia? I disagree with the rest of your post.

Read this place, plenty saying that the Southern Hemisphere will ignore us and other deflection tactics. 

I’m not sure what there is to disagree with. England and GB have lost six games from a possible eighteen (sixteen internationals, two rep games) and have lost three to New Zealand and lost to Samoa, Tonga, PNG and the Combined Nations All-Stars, all under the stewardship of The RFL. This while we have had some very good English players. Frankly, that’s not good enough and neither is the failure to reach the final of the World Cup under a draw that saw them unable to play a tier one nation until the final. 

A review has been needed for a long time anyway. It’s vital it happens now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Read this place, plenty saying that the Southern Hemisphere will ignore us and other deflection tactics. 

I’m not sure what there is to disagree with. England and GB have lost six games from a possible eighteen (sixteen internationals, two rep games) and have lost three to New Zealand and lost to Samoa, Tonga, PNG and the Combined Nations All-Stars, all under the stewardship of The RFL. This while we have had some very good English players. Frankly, that’s not good enough and neither is the failure to reach the final of the World Cup under a draw that saw them unable to play a tier one nation until the final. 

A review has been needed for a long time anyway. It’s vital it happens now. 

If the money is there for an Ashes series in England the Aussies will be here.

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

If the money is there for an Ashes series in England the Aussies will be here.

Great. That’s lovely. They were due to come in 2020 so they’re receptive to playing. That still doesn’t take anything away from the fact that England and The RFL are a joke.