1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/11/22 at 16:30

43 minutes ago, Jughead said:

If it’s Australia, it will be rugby league at its best, if it’s Samoa, it’s some story to go from a hammering off England to winning the tournament. 

I remember the old Kangaroo tours, where it was our privilege to enjoy the world’s best rugby team. And which inspired a generation to dig deeper and improve standards. The Kangaroos could again be a force for good. But I can’t see it. 

If this lot wins, then the NRL will use it as a means to protect their brand by making sure they play as little as possible, and any games any NRL players are allowed to play, are played in their back yard. 

The NRL is already a parasite on Super League, and, in the wake of another Aussie win (or indeed a defeat) will suck the blood from the international game. Penrith’s pre season matters far more to them than any internationals, or world club challenge. 

Of course it’s the NH’s fault because we haven’t got our act together, but it didn’t have to be like this. 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I remember the old Kangaroo tours, where it was our privilege to enjoy the world’s best rugby team. And which inspired a generation to dig deeper and improve standards. The Kangaroos could again be a force for good. But I can’t see it. 

If this lot wins, then the NRL will use it as a means to protect their brand by making sure they play as little as possible, and any games any NRL players are allowed to play, are played in their back yard. 

The NRL is already a parasite on Super League, and, in the wake of another Aussie win (or indeed a defeat) will suck the blood from the international game. Penrith’s pre season matters far more to them than any internationals, or world club challenge. 

Of course it’s the NH’s fault because we haven’t got our act together, but it didn’t have to be like this. 

Honestly, I don’t care. I’d just like to watch a good game of rugby league, if possible, rather than lament something based upon assumptions. 

No matter what happens today international rugby league has already won. They beat the nrl. 

I live in rural New Zealand and as soon as I got on the main road of my town I see 2 cars with Samoan flags. I then drive into the city and at every traffic light I see at least one car with a flag and multitudes as I drive along. 

this is passion that can’t be replicated and is unique. It’s something the nrl can’t own or buy or stifle. The pacific game has opened the door and is never turning back. As much as they may want to this is an easy win for them that they have to accept. They have to have Tonga v samoa every year and they know it. 

that’s why no matter what happens on the field international rugby league has already won. There was a shift mentally towards rugby league with samoa making the final. As a kiwis fan I have never seen such passion and now rugby league is being truly embraced by the pacific communities that the undertones of rugby union dominated. That mindset has moved towards Toa and mate maa tonga which is great for the game. 

the only add on is if it’s a close game it further debunks the argument that origin is the pinnacle. That Aussies will want a 50 point blowout so that the minds will shift back to origin for a so called close game. All Toa have to do is keep it within one score. That will go along way to giving the pacific islands the respect they need and give the rest of the pacific plus kiwis a series that can be played even without the Aussies if necessary 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Why are the crowd booing the Aussies? Poor IMO.

Because they deserve it.

England/GB sides in all sports down there get far worse. And balls to taking the moral high ground.

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

Come on Samoa! Knock those Aussies off their perch.

I can't see it.  The Australians are just too professional and too clinical.

Hopefully it is a good game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

I can't see it.  The Australians are just too professional and too clinical.

Hopefully it is a good game.

I don’t disagree but this Samoa team barring Sao and Lafai all play in the NRL. Why would Australia have the edge in professionalism and being clinical? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

No matter what happens today international rugby league has already won. They beat the nrl. 

I live in rural New Zealand and as soon as I got on the main road of my town I see 2 cars with Samoan flags. I then drive into the city and at every traffic light I see at least one car with a flag and multitudes as I drive along. 

this is passion that can’t be replicated and is unique. It’s something the nrl can’t own or buy or stifle. The pacific game has opened the door and is never turning back. As much as they may want to this is an easy win for them that they have to accept. They have to have Tonga v samoa every year and they know it. 

that’s why no matter what happens on the field international rugby league has already won. There was a shift mentally towards rugby league with samoa making the final. As a kiwis fan I have never seen such passion and now rugby league is being truly embraced by the pacific communities that the undertones of rugby union dominated. That mindset has moved towards Toa and mate maa tonga which is great for the game. 

the only add on is if it’s a close game it further debunks the argument that origin is the pinnacle. That Aussies will want a 50 point blowout so that the minds will shift back to origin for a so called close game. All Toa have to do is keep it within one score. That will go along way to giving the pacific islands the respect they need and give the rest of the pacific plus kiwis a series that can be played even without the Aussies if necessary 

I disagree. If you have an international game based on the idea that all the top players play in one league, you haven't got a strong international game. Let's not be naive about this, if there was any doubt as to whether the NRL controlled the international game before, there certainly won't now. They'll do whatever they want now which inevitably means them moving the goalposts to their own advantage. I wouldn't expect the Pacific nations to be as strong going forward. I reckon we'll see some new eligibility rules soon as a way to prevent this happening again.

Just now, Gomersall said:

I don’t disagree but this Samoa team barring Sao and Lafai all play in the NRL. Why would Australia have the edge in professionalism and being clinical? 

Because they always are.

And despite Luai playing really well in this competition, the Australian spine is miles ahead and will control the game and the whole Kangaroo machine will grind down their opponents. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I disagree. If you have an international game based on the idea that all the top players play in one league, you haven't got a strong international game. Let's not be naive about this, if there was any doubt as to whether the NRL controlled the international game before, there certainly won't now. They'll do whatever they want now which inevitably means them moving the goalposts to their own advantage. I wouldn't expect the Pacific nations to be as strong going forward. I reckon we'll see some new eligibility rules soon as a way to prevent this happening again.

There’s two professional leagues on there planet, the best players are very likely to play in the best league of the two. 

Many top players have committed to “lesser nations”. I think we’ll see more of it, not less. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Because they always are.

And despite Luai playing really well in this competition, the Australian spine is miles ahead and will control the game and the whole Kangaroo machine will grind down their opponents. 

A strong spine wins you 90% of games. If Samoa has a 10% chance of winning it, I'm taking it. Kangaroos ain't guaranteed a win tonight