1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/11/22 at 16:30

7 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Says the man who's team don't have an academy, if fact they have but scrapped it by choice. A club also with the lowest crowds in Super League, and rely on away sport support to raise they crowd average.

I'd respond to this properly if;

A) It had anything to do with my previous question. 

B) I could understand your illiterate rambling.

Fail on both counts.🤷‍♂️

The future is education.👍

• Like 3

I've seen a few comments in here saying the Samoans will get smashed by Australia. If England made the final y'all will be saying it'll be a close game. Why can't samoa be competitive against Australia?

Let's look at the semi final game. A few in here said samoa played there best game and England played there worst and samoa just won by one. Which is absolutely not true.

That first half Samoa didn't play that well. The kick off went out on a full, Milford also kicked out on a full at one stage. Paulo got a yellow card and 2 players came off with HIA in the first 15mins. The penalty count was 6-2 to England, and Samoa still led at halftime. England had every chance in that first half to take the lead but you've got to give credit to the Samoan defense.

Both teams didn't play well but it was an awesome game to watch.

For the Samoans, they will have to play at their best to beat Australia they're very capable to upset the aussies. They've got the players to do it. If the forward pack can hold the aussies forwards like Kiwis did. The samoan back line has the players to break it open. The Panthers boys in the backs are no strangers on the big stage, Suaali'i has been phenomenal at fullback. And Luai is used to being on the big stage. The only thing I'm worried about the Samoan team, is the Milford but go back to his old ways and the aussies will exploit that easily and target him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mojo said:

I've seen a few comments in here saying the Samoans will get smashed by Australia. If England made the final y'all will be saying it'll be a close game. Why can't samoa be competitive against Australia?

That's what happens when you are a fan, your heart runs away from your head and you start to believe.  And as an English (Great Britain) fan, I have been there more times than I can remember.  And every time, so far, it has ended in disappointment.

Now that England are out, I can look at it a bit more objectively and the first semi final was a number of levels above the second in terms of quality and intensity.  I think either of the two teams from the first semi would have beaten either of the teams from the second.  But, Saturday is another day.

You may think I am saying that because I am bitter about the loss.  That's ok, I can't prove I am not, but I am just being objective.

I don't want any particular team to win on Saturday, I am just hoping for a good, close game to finish the competition.  But history tells us that Samoa have it all to do.  Good luck to both sides.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's what happens when you are a fan, your heart runs away from your head and you start to believe.  And as an English (Great Britain) fan, I have been there more times than I can remember.  And every time, so far, it has ended in disappointment.

Now that England are out, I can look at it a bit more objectively and the first semi final was a number of levels above the second in terms of quality and intensity.  I think either of the two teams from the first semi would have beaten either of the teams from the second.  But, Saturday is another day.

You may think I am saying that because I am bitter about the loss.  That's ok, I can't prove I am not, but I am just being objective.

I don't want any particular team to win on Saturday, I am just hoping for a good, close game to finish the competition.  But history tells us that Samoa have it all to do.  Good luck to both sides.

The aussies are the obvious favorites. If Samoa lost this week I wouldn't be gutted tbh. Samoa making the final is a huge achievement. It probably won't ever happen again.

I just think what the aussies lack in the forwards is power, which is why the Kiwis played them so well in the forwards. What the Kiwis lacked was firepower in their backs. There was no one threatening besides Manu and maybe Mulitalo. Samoa for me have threats in most if not the whole backline to match the aussies. People forget that To'o and May's workrate helps the forwards out a lot. Aussies should win but dint be surprised if Samoa pulls a upset

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mojo said:

The aussies are the obvious favorites. If Samoa lost this week I wouldn't be gutted tbh. Samoa making the final is a huge achievement. It probably won't ever happen again.

I just think what the aussies lack in the forwards is power, which is why the Kiwis played them so well in the forwards. What the Kiwis lacked was firepower in their backs. There was no one threatening besides Manu and maybe Mulitalo. Samoa for me have threats in most if not the whole backline to match the aussies. People forget that To'o and May's workrate helps the forwards out a lot. Aussies should win but dint be surprised if Samoa pulls a upset

I wasn't gutted in 2017 when we lost to Australia in the final.  I thought we overachieved getting to the final and I thought the 6-0 score line was very respectable.

What hurts the most is when the final is a blowout and hopes are dashed.  The final of the 2004 Tri Nations when I went into the game thinking this would be our time at last and Great Britain went in 38-0 down at half time was the most depressing feeling in my time being a fan.

I hope that Samoa don't get that feeling and give the Kangaroos a great game.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I wasn't gutted in 2017 when we lost to Australia in the final.  I thought we overachieved getting to the final and I thought the 6-0 score line was very respectable.

What hurts the most is when the final is a blowout and hopes are dashed.  The final of the 2004 Tri Nations when I went into the game thinking this would be our time at last and Great Britain went in 38-0 down at half time was the most depressing feeling in my time being a fan.

I hope that Samoa don't get that feeling and give the Kangaroos a great game.

I’ve been searching for a silver lining for the last few days, following Saturday’s bitter blow, and have come to the conclusion that if England were there we’d probably have lost and it would have ruined my day. However as it stands I’ll be supporting Samoa and they’ll probably lose too, but I’ll still have a great day and evening out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/11/2022 at 14:47, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Probably, it's happened in several games already allegedly. Lot's of people will have bought tickets hoping to see England so can see a few not bothering.

Not RL fans then. Given the cost of the finals tickets there must be some rich folk watching their RL clubs.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

48 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Not RL fans then. Given the cost of the finals tickets there must be some rich folk watching their RL clubs.

Go on then, I'll bite.

Over the last 30 years or so, I've witnessed numerous GB/England heartbreaking defeats in Ashes series, 4Ns, World Cup games. I've driven to London and back in the same day to watch England (which means I couldn't pursue my other passion: drinking) 

Also despite not supporting a club side I've been to numerous CC finals/GF/Magic weekends in places like Cardiff, Edinburgh, etc. In short I've spent a hell of a lot of time - and money- supporting RL, often to the detriment of my Mrs and kids. 

Now I am informed by the stasi on here that actually, I aren't a RL fan after all, I was just glory hunting (obviously RL is first choice for the glory brigade) and I should follow cricket or something. I have a ticket for the final but not going now. I've paid money to an RL event that I won't even be at? I'd say that makes you a bigger fan. 

I'm going to give it away if I can find anyone that wants it. And if you think that means I aren't a 'proper' RL fan, so be it. 

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 14/11/2022 at 14:22, shrewsbury roughyed said:

I’m going. Bought my ticket in a state of euphoria after the quarter final. Felt numb and was about to throw my toys out of the pram after the semi but hey- how many rl World Cup finals will I get the chance to see? And how many times as an Oldham fan will I go up Old Trafford? And the England RL women might even be there. I’m swallowing my pride and making a day of it. Come on Samoa!!!

Same here. It could be 12 years or more until the next one here. I might not live that long.

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

Now I am informed by the stasi on here that actually, I aren't a RL fan after all, I was just glory hunting (obviously RL is first choice for the glory brigade) and I should follow cricket or something. I have a ticket for the final but not going now. I've paid money to an RL event that I won't even be at? I'd say that makes you a bigger fan. 

Not here to judge your decision, but claiming you are a bigger fan because you've decided not to go to the World Cup Final even though you have a ticket for it seems like a bit of a stretch...

I'm bringing my wife, to only her fourth rugby league game. I just hope it's reasonably competitive, but who would actively want to miss what is supposed to be the biggest match in the sport? If people don't support it then it is quite possible that we will not see the World Cup in this country for many many years.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bamfordsbeans said:

In an ideal world you would not need heritage players but it just isn't going to happen.

Lets just embrace what these players have done for Samoa,Tonga and others have given us a more comprehensive international scene,albeit southern hemisphere biased.

There will always be a place for heritage players in tier 2 nations but we have to start rewarding those with high numbers of homegrown players instead of allowing them to get smashed every World Cup,a small quota,starting at 4 in a squad with a small increase in subsequent tournaments should be the target.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’ve been searching for a silver lining for the last few days, following Saturday’s bitter blow, and have come to the conclusion that if England were there we’d probably have lost and it would have ruined my day. However as it stands I’ll be supporting Samoa and they’ll probably lose too, but I’ll still have a great day and evening out. 

And the Samoans can give the Aussies everything they've got.....even if it is illegal!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Platform 3 said:

Not here to judge your decision, but claiming you are a bigger fan because you've decided not to go to the World Cup Final even though you have a ticket for it seems like a bit of a stretch...

I'm bringing my wife, to only her fourth rugby league game. I just hope it's reasonably competitive, but who would actively want to miss what is supposed to be the biggest match in the sport? If people don't support it then it is quite possible that we will not see the World Cup in this country for many many years.

I wasn't exactly serious bud. 🙂