Aussies & Kiwis not coming in 2023...

...according to this: https://www.totalrl.com/irls-draft-plans-for-international-fixtures-in-2023-and-update-on-long-term-calendar/

“The mid-season Test against France will be England’s next match.

“What is being drafted for the southern hemisphere is a form of Pacific Cup for 2023, which will include Australia and New Zealand, and a touring option to the northern hemisphere for another nation, but not Australia or New Zealand.

“The 2023 and 2024 matches will be finalised hopefully at our December meeting if not before."

Wonder what the touring option might be? A 'revenge' tour by Samoa? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

If Australia and NZ are committed to some sort of a Pacific Cup then there is no way that Tonga and Samoa won't also be part of that. I think PNG are most likely to get shafted, as in not invited, and will instead get the option to tour England.

Sadly, you are probably right. And TBH, speaking as a TV punter, I'd love to see the Pacific Cup be a de facto Four Nations - Australia, New Zealand, Samoa & Tonga. 

• Thanks 1

If I were England I would push to be part of that sh comp. Force your way in and blood the next generation of players for France 2025 now. Don’t wait for someone to tour. Turn it into a six nations. You guys need to play aus and nz at least before 2024. It’ll be too late by 2024. Planning should start right now. Samoa won’t tour England. It’s Aussie and the kiwis you really want to be playing and you need to play them every year until the World Cup. Make it happen

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

...according to this: https://www.totalrl.com/irls-draft-plans-for-international-fixtures-in-2023-and-update-on-long-term-calendar/

“The mid-season Test against France will be England’s next match.

“What is being drafted for the southern hemisphere is a form of Pacific Cup for 2023, which will include Australia and New Zealand, and a touring option to the northern hemisphere for another nation, but not Australia or New Zealand.

“The 2023 and 2024 matches will be finalised hopefully at our December meeting if not before."

Wonder what the touring option might be? A 'revenge' tour by Samoa? 

Mate any chance you can post the whole article I can’t seem to access it even though I’m logged in

4 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

Mate any chance you can post the whole article I can’t seem to access it even though I’m logged in

Not sure we're supposed to post whole articles on here.

Troy Grant goes on to say the qualification process for RLWC25 is the priority for the next three years then the "IRL calendar will then cover the next ten years, and all nations can look forward to more regularity and long-term planning.”

He then says the NRL is fully on board with the international game and NRL clubs are "very happy that the professionalism of the World Cup camps have been much improved for this tournament".

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Troy Grant goes on to say the qualification process for RLWC25 is the priority for the next three years then the "IRL calendar will then cover the next ten years, and all nations can look forward to more regularity and long-term planning.”

He then says the NRL is fully on board with the international game and NRL clubs are "very happy that the professionalism of the World Cup camps have been much improved for this tournament".

Thanks mate for summarising. Interesting that the nrl clubs are more worried about the professionalism of the camps? I thought they would be more worried about injuries etc

The Aussies were never going to come here next year. But the positive in the article is Grant stating the NRL is on board with the 10-year plan they have. 

That said, the RFL in conjunction with the ERL have a load of work to do; serious work to do. France and Wales are the priority for the RFL internationally; the likes of Greece, Serbia et al for the ERL. We must develop our own competition in this hemisphere, as it is less and less likely we’ll see the Aussies and Kiwis on these shores often. They don’t need us. We need to help ourselves. 

I’d really push hard for moving away from traditional test series; even against Samoa et al. Multi-team competitions like a Tri/Four Nations is the way ahead, outside of the WC years. More competitive games for everyone, not just England. It certainly seems the Pacific Cup is a step in that direction and Europe and the Northern Hemisphere needs to get its act together to not be left further behind. We need to bin nostalgia and look to the future. 

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 6

On the topic of calendaring. I really think that the years the kangaroos tour England that they should do a pacific 4 nations of nz Fiji Samoa Tonga. All those teams are quite evenly matched and would get strong attendances. Schedule it so Friday night Saturday night and the aus v England Sunday morning. Would do well for the game

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

Thanks mate for summarising. Interesting that the nrl clubs are more worried about the professionalism of the camps? I thought they would be more worried about injuries etc

“The clubs want the best medical, physio support and accommodation for their players on tour."

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

The Aussies were never going to come here next year. But the positive in the article is Grant stating the NRL is on board with the 10-year plan they have. 

That said, the RFL in conjunction with the ERL have a load of work to do; serious work to do. France and Wales are the priority for the RFL internationally; the likes of Greece, Serbia et al for the ERL. We must develop our own competition in this hemisphere, as it is less and less likely we’ll see the Aussies and Kiwis on these shores often. They don’t need us. We need to help ourselves. 

I’d really push hard for moving away from traditional test series; even against Samoa et al. Multi-team competitions like a Tri/Four Nations is the way ahead, outside of the WC years. More competitive games for everyone, not just England. It certainly seems the Pacific Cup is a step in that direction and Europe and the Northern Hemisphere needs to get its act together to not be left further behind. We need to bin nostalgia and look to the future. 

I think Troy Grant is right. I’m sure he wants to make sure this qualifying window for 2025 is well handled as it’s a 2 year turn around to get the teams sorted by 2024. That’s a fair bit of work for them. 

I think if England can’t tour next year you have to bite the bullet and try put something together with France wales and maybe Ireland or Scotland. Another option would be inviting Lebanon and png to join you. They aren’t far off tbh but you need some competition to prepare you for France 2025

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just in time to announce it when England are playi... oh wait, no it isn’t. 

Make it Samoa and lets see if IMG and head of RFL can do there job and sell it. 

Three tests. One in London one back in North East and then Heartlands. Delighted they are going to be forced to sell something other than Kiwis and Australia and its their own fault.

It's so frustrating to see the same things happening again on repeat after previous world cups.

We have lost serious momentum from the WC if announced in Dec when all those casual sports fans eyes are on Qatar. No doubt at all that the big 4 pacific teams will be in the Oceanic cup, leaving us with PNG/Fiji to come to England. That's a solution at least for next autumn. Albeit, the long-term future for NH RL has to be in developing an international series with NH countries. It's clear we are not at the party for the SH competition.

Anyone else concerned we still haven't got a 10yr plan nailed? It keeps being kicked down the road again and again with some warm words of "the NRL is onside". Not onside enough to agree to it though...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I’d really push hard for moving away from traditional test series; even against Samoa et al. Multi-team competitions like a Tri/Four Nations is the way ahead, outside of the WC years. More competitive games for everyone, not just England. It certainly seems the Pacific Cup is a step in that direction and Europe and the Northern Hemisphere needs to get its act together to not be left further behind.

In an ideal world the likes of Ireland, Lebanon and Italy would be playing their best sides in some sort of NH comp between World Cups. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

How many times have we heard that the 10 year calendar is close to being finalised and that it will get rubber stamped at the next IRL meeting?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

In an ideal world the likes of Ireland, Lebanon and Italy would be playing their best sides in some sort of NH comp between World Cups. 

I promised a UEFA Nations League type competition a few weeks ago - play it mid-season in Europe. You wouldn’t get Lebanon or Italy involved as per a WC as most of the players are Oz-based. But it’d be a great development tool for the sport here. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Too many times.

It just makes you disillusioned with the game, the amount of self interest holding it back. It's the same after every WC, great spectacle, so when is the next game I can get tickets to?................erm well we haven't finalised the calendar yet but we hope to in a couple of months. By which stage, people have moved on and lost interest

• Like 4