Aussies & Kiwis not coming in 2023...

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And, pointing this out for myself too ... you know how I keep saying "women's rugby league will never grow properly in this country whilst the games and events are done as afterthoughts ..."

Notable lack of any comment whatsoever about who they will be playing at any point ever.

The idea is probably "stick them on as a double header on the France game".

It’s a very good point, too, and we will likely lose all momentum with both branches of the game, too. 

50 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I hope England don’t go down under , we need to get some money in the game here .

If we can get it televised on free-to-air, it would still help build momentum after the World Cup. Channel 4 might even be interested. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We have to assume that the only option, for a SH touring side, is going to be PNG.

Everyone else will (and should be) locked into the Oceanic Cup.

Does make me wonder whether the RFL have been trying to bounce NZ in particular into touring with their press murmurs throughout the year to head off the loss of a touring side once the Oceanic Cup was confirmed (although, really, nothing remains confirmed - this is RL after all).

Why wouldn’t PNG be locked in as well? Strength wise they beat Fiji this year and were unlucky not to beat Tonga, they have the most potential long term out of all those and the stadium to host internationals. They all should be there really if they’re doing a Pacific Cup, then maybe one can tour afterwards.

Rough for England but randomly excluding a Pacific Nation for a Pacific Cup would be bizzare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jim_57 said:

Why wouldn’t PNG be locked in as well? Strength wise they beat Fiji this year and were unlucky not to beat Tonga, they have the most potential long term out of all those and the stadium to host internationals. They all should be there really if they’re doing a Pacific Cup, then maybe one can tour afterwards.

Rough for England but randomly excluding a Pacific Nation for a Pacific Cup would be bizzare.

More because PNG seem to be something of an outlier both culturally and how they fit with the NRL PI nations approach.

I'll rephrase it to: it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't part of the Oceanic Cup and, if they are not part of it, to see them touring England/Europe instead.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Without heritage players from down under, I can't see the Euros working or being interesting.

It's an ERL event doubling as a World Cup qualifier so it needs to be played.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

More because PNG seem to be something of an outlier both culturally and how they fit with the NRL PI nations approach.

I'll rephrase it to: it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't part of the Oceanic Cup and, if they are not part of it, to see them touring England/Europe instead.

They should be the primary target of any PI approach, their potential is massive. In saying that if it’s in tiers they might get left out of the top tier unless it is 6 teams, so maybe they’d prefer to tour England if they miss out of games against Australia, NZ, Samoa etc.

16 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Without heritage players from down under, I can't see the Euros working or being interesting.

Maybe, even if the other European nations are at full strength, I'm not sure enough people would come to watch the game and so help cover costs.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for European nations to play games without heritage players to give some fringe players some international experience.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

If Australia and NZ are committed to some sort of a Pacific Cup then there is no way that Tonga and Samoa won't also be part of that. I think PNG are most likely to get shafted, as in not invited, and will instead get the option to tour England.

That’d be fantastic if it’s PNG. It’d signal growth in the international game if PNG does tours to the UK.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I think it comes down to various factors but I think it would do reasonably well. 

If there was a game played in the south (1-2 hour drive from London or in London) I would attend.

Although tbh I'd attend any England international game (or knights game) as long as it was vs a another country and not a exiles or CNAC type team.

This is assuming tickets in the 40GBP - 50GBP range, and concessions for over65's and under 16's

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Perhaps it might be a good idea for European nations to play games without heritage players to give some fringe players some international experience.

Against England, it'd be a massacre.

Edited by MatthewWoody
  • Thanks 2

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Lebanon should be free as well, food for thought. Plenty of potential for a 4N tournament with England, France and 2 of PNG/Fiji/Lebanon/Ireland/Wales but that would disrupt the Euro Cup.

I still think PNG & Fiji should both be part of a Pacific Cup but I can see one or both of them being excluded or missing out on any big games in tier 2 unfortunately.

Edited by jim_57
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Lebanon should be free as well, food for thought. Plenty of potential for a 4N tournament with England, France and 2 of PNG/Fiji/Lebanon/Ireland/Wales but that would disrupt the Euro Cup.

I still think PNG & Fiji should both be part of a Pacific Cup but I can see one or both of them being excluded or missing out on any big games in tier 2 unfortunately.

Lebanon are in MEA Cup action, albeit only for around 7-10 days. They’ll be free otherwise you’d imagine.