Up tet top et thill.

The scrim reaper

Just a little question that someone asked me but I couldn't answer, so I thought I would pass it on to all you old bulldog sages to keep the old grey matter churning till the serious stuff starts,  with you guys having a wealth of knowledge not seen since the likes of plato, socrates, and aristotle, where walking about, I wondered if anyone knows (facts only) what the difference is (feet and inches) between the top of the pitch and bottom actually is? 

Edited by The scrim reaper

12 minutes ago, The scrim reaper said:

what the difference is (feet and inches) between the top of the pitch and bottom actually is? 

In a post from Kevin Nicholas on July 27, 2021 he said

The slope is said to mean it is 9 feet lower at the bottom of the ground than the top.

I got out my protractor, and did some fiddling with it and realised its actually an optical illustration projected onto a flat pitch to tire the opposition, hence our unrivalled sucess in the HW District...

Think I might have blown our top six finish this season 🤔

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, Piggy's mate said:

I got out my protractor, and did some fiddling with it and realised its actually an optical illustration projected onto a flat pitch to tire the opposition, hence our unrivalled sucess in the HW District...

Think I might have blown our top six finish this season 🤔

Good discussion this tbh. My next door neighbour is a Landscape Architect, theodolite and all that stuff. Will ask if he can help solve this once n for all. With permission from Kevin of course. 

• Like 2

"Keep The Faith Tee Shirts now available from BISSA"

Spread & Save please hand your jars or any other container in on match days

Sponsored by Londis, Bradford Road Liversedge

Visit the BISSA Online Shop to purchase DVDs, books and event tickets

here

BISSA website

http://www.bissa.co.uk/

image1 (1).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

As promised,my neighbour has done his bit, Google Earth plus some computing skills, here are the results.

From Top goalpost base to bottom posts base........3m approx

From Top goalpost base to "Nine Oyl Corner....... 4m approx. 

John Kear was correct as the height of the Crossbar is 3m (officially). So the crossbars would appear to be in line .

To do this with better accuracy it would cost , so they are approx, but are still very close.

If anyone would like a graphic of this I have printed copies A3 size which really shows the "lie of the land". 

Fascinating and quite surprising.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

19 hours ago, colinb said:

As promised,my neighbour has done his bit, Google Earth plus some computing skills, here are the results.

From Top goalpost base to bottom posts base........3m approx

From Top goalpost base to "Nine Oyl Corner....... 4m approx. 

John Kear was correct as the height of the Crossbar is 3m (officially). So the crossbars would appear to be in line .

To do this with better accuracy it would cost , so they are approx, but are still very close.

If anyone would like a graphic of this I have printed copies A3 size which really shows the "lie of the land". 

Fascinating and quite surprising.

I recall that something similar was done with Dewsbury's nineoil at Crown Flatt (youngsters ask a grown up) and it was something like 11'. It certainly provided a bit of character back in the day.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I recall that something similar was done with Dewsbury's nineoil at Crown Flatt (youngsters ask a grown up) and it was something like 11'. It certainly provided a bit of character back in the day.

The story I heard is that the slope was measured at half-time on the final match at CF by a surveyor.

Unfortunately a section of the crowd thought he was from the developers who had bought the ground, and gave him some stick for being so "insensitive".

Possibly apocryphal, as I heard it from a Batley supporter. Do you remember that happening, BSJ?

• Haha 1

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

1 hour ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

The story I heard is that the slope was measured at half-time on the final match at CF by a surveyor.

Unfortunately a section of the crowd thought he was from the developers who had bought the ground, and gave him some stick for being so "insensitive".

Possibly apocryphal, as I heard it from a Batley supporter. Do you remember that happening, BSJ?

No, I don't and I was there of course. A surprisingly small crowd at that game too.

• Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

No, I don't and I was there of course. A surprisingly small crowd at that game too.

Ah well, that's a pity.

My source also apparently convinced a well-known Dewsbury supporter that he (my source) also supported Dewsbury, despite being born and bred in Soothill, so perhaps this was another of his tall tales.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

17 hours ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

I was at CF that Sunday, and the information is correct. I was stood on the CF Long stand where at half time a few Dewsbury "lads" jumped out of, and confronted the individuals who were carrying the survey staff. BSJ must have still been in Fearnsides. Happy days.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BirstallDog said:

I was at CF that Sunday, and the information is correct. I was stood on the CF Long stand where at half time a few Dewsbury "lads" jumped out of, and confronted the individuals who were carrying the survey staff. BSJ must have still been in Fearnsides. Happy days.

No, don't drink at matches BD, and I was on the Long Stand that day. Your thinking thing (the one that holds pictures in the brain) must be better than mine.

• Like 1