Panthers taking it serious

54 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

He, like me is just a RL fan mate - I've seen many Lg1 games that are more enjoyable than a SOO game.  If you prefer to just watch top league games that's upto you.

Sure. Any League can be enjoyable. I just meant if he is missing the day to day buzz of the NRL competition, and watching the best of the best, he is not really likely to be converted to watching the English third tier. 

17 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Sure. Any League can be enjoyable. I just meant if he is missing the day to day buzz of the NRL competition, and watching the best of the best, he is not really likely to be converted to watching the English third tier. 

Maybe, but he moved to Cornwall for a better life in an amazing place so I'm sure he was happy to make some compromises. Saying that the atmosphere at most Lg1 games is still better than an NRL gane. Anyway Lg1 is looking to be a very good comp this year - roll on kick off.

10 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Bu$$er, just noticed the date.  Wouldn’t have minded another long weekend in the Blue Mountains but me and the missus are off to Tassie on 10th Feb till 17th and the following day we are hosting a 30th birthday bbq for our eldest daughter.  So I will have to watch the game blatherated after people have gone home.

I can’t wait for IMG to take control of the game so these sort of clashes are avoided.

P.S.  If the Panthers win it will because the NRL is light years ahead of SL but if Panthers lose it will be because they took the game as just a pre season trial.  Aussies, the biggest whingers went the proverbial hits the fan!

Where do you stay when you come to the Blue Mountains AT?  Have lived there since departing Sydney in 2000 and incidentally my first job after arriving in Sydney back in 1968 was in Adelaide. Only lasted about 6 weeks  before returning to Sydney as my wife could not settle. We lived at Brighton about 5mins walk to the beach.

1 hour ago, George Watt said:

Where do you stay when you come to the Blue Mountains AT?  Have lived there since departing Sydney in 2000 and incidentally my first job after arriving in Sydney back in 1968 was in Adelaide. Only lasted about 6 weeks  before returning to Sydney as my wife could not settle. We lived at Brighton about 5mins walk to the beach.

We stay in Leura.  A lovely gentle paced town.  Stayed at one place and the bed was so big that my side of the bed was in Leura and my wife’s side was in Katoomba!!

Done the usual touristy things and really enjoyed visiting the Jenolan caves.

Was Brighton far too lively for the both of you 😄😄😄😄

16 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

We stay in Leura.  A lovely gentle paced town.  Stayed at one place and the bed was so big that my side of the bed was in Leura and my wife’s side was in Katoomba!!

Done the usual touristy things and really enjoyed visiting the Jenolan caves.

Was Brighton far too lively for the both of you 😄😄😄😄

We are next village down in Wentworth Falls. Brighton stay was great for me with a job which would have taken me into Asia but my wife was a victim of a State Government policy in those days where single women were given priority in employment over married women. My wife had never missed a day's work since her first job leaving school and after arriving in Sydney worked a couple of months whilst I sorted out suitable employment. She became very depressed and despondent  and just wanted out so we returned to Sydney. Below a little anecdote.....

On the day of departure from Sydney to Adelaide we left for the airport by cab an on arrival the cab driver,who had remained passively mute throughout the half hour trip, unloaded the cases and before entering back into the cab asked us where we were heading. On hearing Adelaide he commented that "it was a well laid out city". As he drove off he wound down the window and called out "Adelaide has been been dead for 200 years".

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, George Watt said:

We are next village down in Wentworth Falls. Brighton stay was great for me with a job which would have taken me into Asia but my wife was a victim of a State Government policy in those days where single women were given priority in employment over married women. My wife had never missed a day's work since her first job leaving school and after arriving in Sydney worked a couple of months whilst I sorted out suitable employment. She became very depressed and despondent  and just wanted out so we returned to Sydney. Below a little anecdote.....

On the day of departure from Sydney to Adelaide we left for the airport by cab an on arrival the cab driver,who had remained passively mute throughout the half hour trip, unloaded the cases and before entering back into the cab asked us where we were heading. On hearing Adelaide he commented that "it was a well laid out city". As he drove off he wound down the window and called out "Adelaide has been been dead for 200 years".

Here is an anecdote from me.

In 2005, we had started the Australian Visa application.  After a Cas match late that season, me and a mate were talking to Dave Woods - an Aussie that coached Cas that year in the second tier called the Cooperative Championship.  My mate mentioned to Dave that I was emigrating to Australia. Dave asked me where was I going to live. I said ‘Adelaide’.  Dave thought for a moment then replied ‘I once went to Adelaide ….. and it was closed’.  I though that is just the lifestyle that I want.

Adelaide is still the butt of jokes on TV but in 2021 the Economists Global Living Index rated Adelaide as Australia’s most liveable city and third most liveable city in the world. Not bad for a sleepy, backward town.

Edited by Adelaide Tiger

4 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

That was the Covid effect….where did it rank in 2022 when the world opened up? 30th!(just ahead of Perth, 32nd).

If they did promotion and relegation in Aus, Adelaide would be in division 2

Yes you are right that Adelaide’s position of third in the Most Liveable City Index in 2021 was partially influenced by the fact that The Economists Intelligence Unit that adjudicates also included how well each city responded to and contained the Covid-19 pandemic as well as looking at around 40 indicators of stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.

For the record Adelaide had just two lockdowns - one of 3 days in November 2020 caused by some lying ###### and a separate seven day lockdown in July 2021 - throughout the whole Covid crisis.

However how then do you explain Adelaide’s ranking according to The Economists Global Liveability Index since 2012?

2012 - 5th, 2013 - 6th, 2014 - 5th, 2015 - 5th, 2016 - 5th, 2017 - 5th, 2018 - 10th, 2019 - 10th, 2020 - 3rd, 2021 - 3rd

Using your analogy Adelaide would have qualified for end of season play offs in 8 of the 10 years which is equal to Sydney Roosters.

EDIT - There are so many list of cities each year by various organisations I hope that I listed the correct positions for Adelaide according to The Economist.

Edited by Adelaide Tiger

Melbourne seems to consistently be the best performing Aussie city in this weird Economist ranking.

Must be all that AFL on tap.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Ouch…touched a nerve…..for such a wonderful city the last year must have been a hell of a bad year….third to 30th.  Its even less livable than Brissie!

Maybe it just had a year like Warrington.

Ahhh bless.  You always know when you have owned the argument if the other person can only give a sarcastic response. 

You probably didn’t even realise that the EIU stated that ‘the ranking tumblings of Australian - and New Zealand - cities was due to the continued imposition of Covid-19 restrictions while Europe moved on from the Pandemic.  That is why Auckland fell from 1st to 34th and Wellington from 4th to 50th.

Finally the Board at Warrington would kill to have enjoyed 10 relatively successful years then have one year of struggle.

Lovely day here in the City of Churches!

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Its certainly not because of the weather.

Been staying in Melbourne the last week. Temperatures were 36 on Saturday, 20 on Sunday, 23 on Monday, then the forecast for tomorrow is 37 with thunderstorms and then back to 22 on Wednesday and clear

The weather here is completely nuts.

4 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Ahhh bless.  You always know when you have owned the argument if the other person can only give a sarcastic response. 

You probably didn’t even realise that the EIU stated that ‘the ranking tumblings of Australian - and New Zealand - cities was due to the continued imposition of Covid-19 restrictions while Europe moved on from the Pandemic.  That is why Auckland fell from 1st to 34th and Wellington from 4th to 50th.

Finally the Board at Warrington would kill to have enjoyed 10 relatively successful years then have one year of struggle.

Lovely day here in the City of Churches!

Well its the lowest population growth rate of any of Australias state capitals, including Darwin. Nothing sarcastic about that. Obviously not top of the pops to outsiders. 

I actually enjoy my visits to Adelaide but if sleepy Joe was an Australian city he would definitely be Adelaide.

4 hours ago, Dirkgee said:

Been staying in Melbourne the last week. Temperatures were 36 on Saturday, 20 on Sunday, 23 on Monday, then the forecast for tomorrow is 37 with thunderstorms and then back to 22 on Wednesday and clear

The weather here is completely nuts.

A change in weather from one day to the next is seen as settled in Melbourne,four seasons in one day isn’t unusual.

Back to the game,it will be interesting to see how the loss of Kikau’s rampaging runs on a edge will affect the Panthers attacking options,still think they’ll be too strong for Saints especially playing at home in Penrith where they’ve been pretty much unbeatable for the last few years but I’m hoping it’s a close competitive game.

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Well its the lowest population growth rate of any of Australias state capitals, including Darwin. Nothing sarcastic about that. Obviously not top of the pops to outsiders. 

I actually enjoy my visits to Adelaide but if sleepy Joe was an Australian city he would definitely be Adelaide.

Re: the population growth.  Yep younger people seem to want to move to the bright lights, big city and if lucky, bigger bucks.  Can’t blame them for that and good luck to those that choose to move interstate.

No problem about you referring to  Adelaide as Sleepy Joe ……. I used to find Wakefield a bit too hectic!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

is it right the game is to be broadcast live on channel4 ?

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/world-club-challenge-to-return-in-2023-as-channel-4-confirm-coverage/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)