when would you prefer your live sky games?

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No idea , just as you've no idea the other way , and using different seasons distorts figures to make them worthless , and as I put , it isn't just attendances , it is income , clubs will take more in sales on a Sunday than on a Monday night 

Ok, if you've no idea why would you say that you have?

Have clubs complained about being on Premier sports? How much do they lose by being on Tv on a Monday night, Have any of the clubs increased their sponsorship on the back of being on TV infront of 50,000 people?

Edited by Chrispmartha

12 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Again you are so close to getting it, if the clubs are on TV infront of 50,000 people do you think that's better to sell to potential sponsors/investors than if they weren't on TV?

I really hope you don't work in any kind of commercial/sales/marketing role.

Not that old chestnut again , no I don't , although I was for a while , when I set up a business with 2 K in 93 and by 02 had a 3 million plus turnover 

I guess you don't work for a lower tier RL club either 

Anyway it's late , I've enjoyed this little discussion , but work in the morning 

The present set up is great for me!

Thursday night (UK) game means I record it and watch it after I have finished work on Friday afternoon.

Friday night (UK) game means I record it and watch it Saturday morning.

Saturday night (UK) game featuring Catalan at home means I record it and watch it Sunday morning.

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not that old chestnut again , no I don't , although I was for a while , when I set up a business with 2 K in 93 and by 02 had a 3 million plus turnover 

I guess you don't work for a lower tier RL club either 

Anyway it's late , I've enjoyed this little discussion , but work in the morning 

No I don't work for a lower Tier RL club, but you did apparently, but don't have any data to back your opinions up.

With your business acumen Im surprised by your shortsightedness.

Lets leave it there

Edited by Chrispmartha

7 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

No I don't work for a lower Tier RL club, but you did apparently, but don't have any data to back your opinions up.

With your business acumen Im surprised by your shortsightedness.

Lets leave it there

As a final point on this , I'll not reply further , but I recall being at a NL ( as it was then ) RFL council meeting around 2004 where the club owners expressed their need for a TV deal to Nigel Wood and the Tennis bloke ( his name evades me ) , when a Broadcast deal was announced for essentially free the club owners were livid , they had assumed that the RFL knew they meant a paying deal , obviously not 

And my business acumen did teach me one thing , you only ever give a customer one free or discounted sample , after that it's full price , otherwise you've set the price of your product at zero , and that is what people will pay for it 

No pay , no play 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As a final point on this , I'll not reply further , but I recall being at a NL ( as it was then ) RFL council meeting around 2004 where the club owners expressed their need for a TV deal to Nigel Wood and the Tennis bloke ( his name evades me ) , when a Broadcast deal was announced for essentially free the club owners were livid , they had assumed that the RFL knew they meant a paying deal , obviously not 

Twenty years ago.

Ancient history in broadcasting terms.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You missed the other bit of the post 

Set your value at nothing , and nothing is what you will get 

I didn't miss it.

It just seemed like the kind of thing people who don't know what they're talking about would write.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

That's 50,000 people per game looking at your club, your brand, your sponsors, your players...

Like window shopping Chris?

It does the store no good if they are not getting people in through the doors parting with their money!

I enjoyed watching the premier broadcasts last season, but when it was announced and disclosed what the contract value was I questioned why? I watched my team in 4 away games that was in Monday nights, had they been on the regular Sunday afternoon slots I would have attended, and I am under no illusion that many others would have done the same even home fans who had the opportunity to view in the pub and swopped the entrance fee for a few pints, the point I am making is that the lower tier club's need as much revenue that they can muster, they are not recompensed as SL club's are by near £2m per year for non attendees who watch it on the box, I can see you have been challenging Gubby on producing figs to show what losses he claims club's lose by having games televised on Monday nights, on the other hand can you justfy what those 50,000 pair of eye's are adding to the club as a direct monetary value, like I say if they are only window shopping it does the store no good.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like window shopping Chris?

It does the store no good if they are not getting people in through the doors parting with their money!

I enjoyed watching the premier broadcasts last season, but when it was announced and disclosed what the contract value was I questioned why? I watched my team in 4 away games that was in Monday nights, had they been on the regular Sunday afternoon slots I would have attended, and I am under no illusion that many others would have done the same even home fans who had the opportunity to view in the pub and swopped the entrance fee for a few pints, the point I am making is that the lower tier club's need as much revenue that they can muster, they are not recompensed as SL club's are by near £2m per year for non attendees who watch it on the box, I can see you have been challenging Gubby on producing figs to show what losses he claims club's lose by having games televised on Monday nights, on the other hand can you justfy what those 50,000 pair of eye's are adding to the club as a direct monetary value, like I say if they are only window shopping it does the store no good.

Im challenging Gubrats on the data because he claimed it was definitely detrimental to the clubs.

Dont think of it as Window shopping think of it as advertising. Getting the product infront of more people increases awareness and elevates it.

Id love it if premier sports were paying the clubs but i still think its preferable than no tv presence.

Having the games professionally filmed also gives more exposure through Social Media.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Id love it if premier sports were paying the clubs but i still think its preferable than no tv presence.

Premier, now Viaplay, did pay for the rights.

The RFL's opaque 'give to those who already have' funding of the Championship also gives more to clubs who appear at home more often in TV games (it's one of the ROI criteria).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The RFL's opaque 'give to those who already have' funding of the Championship also gives more to clubs who appear at home more often in TV games (it's one of the ROI criteria).

So the clubs do get paid for being on TV?

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

So the clubs do get paid for being on TV?

Via the RFL's distribution - assuming the ROI as aspect is as reported - yes.

And the whole league gets money from the TV deal.

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

The present set up is great for me!

Thursday night (UK) game means I record it and watch it after I have finished work on Friday afternoon.

Friday night (UK) game means I record it and watch it Saturday morning.

Saturday night (UK) game featuring Catalan at home means I record it and watch it Sunday morning.

I think even in UK I use the record a lot. I'm quite good at being disciplined and not fast forwarding anything but the adverts 

I'm not as fussed as others are about it has to be live etc

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

For the second game, Saturday afternoon. Not a noon KO though, because any NRL over-run would clash - 2pm to 3 pm KO would be good.

To coincide with the community games kick off's? there are to few people taking interest and attending their local amatuer teams the last thing we need is for another excuse to stay away.

2 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Saturday night every time , Saturday night telly is a total washout , as far as viewing figures are concerned it`s a no brainer .

I always find it surprising how little sport there often is on Saturday evenings but it would seem to be an ideal time, not least as it mirrors the Grand Final kick off time.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Do you have the details of how much ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

To coincide with the community games kick off's? there are to few people taking interest and attending their local amatuer teams the last thing we need is for another excuse to stay away.

18.00 Saturday Evening,a few pints in the clubhouse after watching the community game,mind you end up facing a dilemma,home with a takeaway to watch the TV game & keep the Mrs happy or stay out on the lash with the lads,watch it in the bar & suffer the inevitable consequences.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

18.00 Saturday Evening,a few pints in the clubhouse after watching the community game,mind you end up facing a dilemma,home with a takeaway to watch the TV game & keep the Mrs happy or stay out on the lash with the lads,watch it in the bar & suffer the inevitable consequences.

Or actually go to the game ? 

Yes , you will laugh 😉

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I always find it surprising how little sport there often is on Saturday evenings but it would seem to be an ideal time, not least as it mirrors the Grand Final kick off time.

I guess historically it's because people are either out or, if in with family, it's probably the one night you might watch something together? Although as viewing becomes ever more fragmented and time shifted perhaps it's time has come. 

For football, I'd always assumed it was to do with policing too, and not wanting a match emptying out right into the rowdiest night of the week. 

But in the current prem contract there is now occasional Sat night games, so no reason we couldn't do it too, but I don't think it would do too well, at least for a run of the mill game. 

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

So did they ever make a ROI ? , Have they announced it ? , What were the subscription numbers ? 

Maybe I should ask Tommy ? , He knows everything 

6 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I guess historically it's because people are either out or, if in with family, it's probably the one night you might watch something together? Although as viewing becomes ever more fragmented and time shifted perhaps it's time has come. 

For football, I'd always assumed it was to do with policing too, and not wanting a match emptying out right into the rowdiest night of the week. 

But in the current prem contract there is now occasional Sat night games, so no reason we couldn't do it too, but I don't think it would do too well, at least for a run of the mill game. 

We have a sat night game every other week