Barrow Vs Toulouse

pennington

We carry on like that and we will be in the mix for relegation... really really bad performance and Toally had a mare

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

Not a good start to the season. I think Barrow try to throw rhe ball around too much when they need be more direct going forward. 

Didn't help with Worrhington going off early but our right edge looked vulnerable and there appeared to be a lack of desire. 

Barrow were taught a harsh lesson today allover the park

Tolouse looked sharp,  quicker with the ball by a mile both half backs were miles better & when they tackled they let Barrow Fwds no about it some of them were outstanding

Whoever said they will struggle then think again, if that was a May surface they would have scored 40 points easy

The last 15 our boys were blowing like ####

Didn't help with the missed tackles in there 1st 3 scores but droppingvthe ball & giving kamikaze passes especially 1 & 2nd pass was madness infact Sammutt today was very poor

Hard to criticise after last year but our backs today were not good enough throughout 

Get back on the horse & go again we have come to far to let this poor performance get ahead of the guys

I want to see Archer play next week,  Emslie, Hopkins & young Dawson who can play 9 or 13 he will give it everything 

Our half's need a shake up & looking like a centre on loan already 

If available.

Cresswell 

Toal Shaw Corkill Bullman

Archer Sammutt 

Laria wood Gillam

Hopkins Stack

Wells

Interchange

Brooks

Burke

Emslie

Dawson

Broadbent

• Like 1

We were lucky Toulouse kicker missed all 6 conversions, otherwise it would have been 36 points against.

We're now a team of big forwards trying to using brute strength to score tries.

Sorry, not going to happen against decent teams.

Last season Ritson and Miloudi made numerous line breaks and scored 37 league tries between them. 

Where are those tries coming from this season?

Youngsters Corkhill and Archer (plus Sammut) seem the only players able offer the creativity needed.

Was always going to be a tough game v Toulouse. They were favourites, so no need to panic yet.

Next week v Sheffield will give us a better idea of how we're going to fare this year.

11 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

We were lucky Toulouse kicker missed all 6 conversions, otherwise it would have been 36 points against.

Last season Ritson and Miloudi made numerous line breaks and scored 37 league tries between them. 

Youngsters Corkhill and Archer (plus Sammut) seem the only players able offer the creativity needed.

Was always going to be a tough game v Toulouse. They were favourites, so no need to panic yet.

Next week v Sheffield will give us a better idea of how we're going to fare this year.

Can I ask what evidence you have to say that Corkhill and Archer are the only players able to create something? Sammut I can understand.

• Like 2

Sammutt was worst player on the pitch, is he fit??? The lack of attacking threat from the back line is a worry, but the biggest worry is the awful completion rate, was it even 30%? Looked in full on panic mode every time we had the ball and neither half seem capable of being able to guide the team around and implement a game plan

• Like 1

Nothing like the Barrow of last season! I thought Toulouse were OK but nothing great, far too many mistakes and Barrow look like a team gone backwards!

• Like 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

43 minutes ago, bruner said:

Can I ask what evidence you have to say that Corkhill and Archer are the only players able to create something? Sammut I can understand.

Anyone, anytime can make a break, but these 2 youngsters stood out for consistent creativity in the friendlies.

"Archer was your play-maker in several tries" - N. Wales post-match comment.

Corkhill was MOM last week v Wigan and scored 1, maybe 2 tries.

Who do you think makes breaks and creates scoring opportunities?

1 hour ago, Piggy's mate said:

Nothing like the Barrow of last season! I thought Toulouse were OK but nothing great, far too many mistakes and Barrow look like a team gone backwards!

I lost count, last week and today, when the opposition scored tries on the 5th tackle. Shouldn't be happening so often.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HP Beans said:

I thought that Toulouse were very good today,hats off to them on a great performance.

Wasn’t our greatest performance but early days and plenty of time to put it right.

EARLY days yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HP Beans said:

I thought that Toulouse were very good today,hats off to them on a great performance.

Wasn’t our greatest performance but early days and plenty of time to put it right.

Correct HP we were poor. Sheffield will feel the backlash hopefully.

• Like 1

Out classed by a better faster side, our forwards looked good in attack and defence, but the backs were poor not championship standard, think the backs need a shake up and certain ones need dropping from the squad, it’s gonna be a tough season just hope we’re not facing relegation at the end of it. Need better centres and bulman in the squad, Ritson will be a big miss.

The lads that were poor yesterday will know that themselves more than anyone. I think it’s a bit harsh to say some of them aren’t up to Championship standard. They proved last season they were, one bad performance doesn’t change that. 

• Like 3

I’m not to concerned at losing to Toulouse more the manner in the way the game was lost. It was like watching a team that didn’t know each other at times, the decision making was really poor. Hopefully make up for it against Sheffield next week. 

• Like 2

Simply put we were beaten by the better side, unfortunately we made far too many errors in important areas of the pitch and if your completion rate is low like it was against a top team you are not going to win. 

we now have a big game against Sheffield and I think the lads will get themselves together this week and give the heads a wobble and we will go again. Sammut had a bad game but that’s his first full game of the year so I expect a lot more of him next game. Hopefully Mossop is back soon as I feel we missed him when Wood went off.

Anyways onwards and upwards.  COYR. 

• Like 4

On 04/02/2023 at 19:41, 2Cents said:

1st game of the season pal against a team that are full time and train near enough every day and have just been recently been relagated from super league and mainly kept a similar team to what they had in super league, yes we will see how we are against Sheffield next (who have also recruited very well and give Halifax a good game today who will be a top 3 side ). In a game like yesterday when we came up with many errors we have to use our forwards and use “brute strength” and adapt to the weather conditions at this time of the year. So you can’t complain about the forwards yesterday thought they played really well performances like Jack wells playing 75mins and being my MOTM and big stints from Burke, Evans, Anton, Brooks and. Gilliam. First game of the season don’t look too much into it. 

• Like 2

On 04/02/2023 at 18:11, morty said:

We carry on like that and we will be in the mix for relegation... really really bad performance and Toally had a mare

From Matt Shaw

10 Barrow Raiders
Second-season syndrome is always a worry and has caught out several clubs in previous years. York had a great first season at this level then dropped off, as did Whitehaven. The obvious concern is the loss of top try-scorer Tee Ritson, while Hakim Miloudi posed plenty of challenges too. Barrow have recruited seasons Championship performers like Greg Worthington who will always do a good job, but I think they just lack a bit of x-factor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, POR said:

From Matt Shaw

10 Barrow Raiders
Second-season syndrome is always a worry and has caught out several clubs in previous years. York had a great first season at this level then dropped off, as did Whitehaven. The obvious concern is the loss of top try-scorer Tee Ritson, while Hakim Miloudi posed plenty of challenges too. Barrow have recruited seasons Championship performers like Greg Worthington who will always do a good job, but I think they just lack a bit of x-factor.

We’d have to sign Simon Cowell to have more X Factor than Jarrod Sammut!

• Haha 1

On 04/02/2023 at 19:55, bruner said:

I am also struggling too see what “2Cents”means by this so far his comments have been delusional, every player in that Squad has creativity or they wouldn’t be playing rugby at this sort of level. 

• Like 2

On 04/02/2023 at 18:59, Pablo Escobar said:

Barrow were taught a harsh lesson today allover the park

Tolouse looked sharp,  quicker with the ball by a mile both half backs were miles better & when they tackled they let Barrow Fwds no about it some of them were outstanding

Whoever said they will struggle then think again, if that was a May surface they would have scored 40 points easy

The last 15 our boys were blowing like ####

Didn't help with the missed tackles in there 1st 3 scores but droppingvthe ball & giving kamikaze passes especially 1 & 2nd pass was madness infact Sammutt today was very poor

Hard to criticise after last year but our backs today were not good enough throughout 

Get back on the horse & go again we have come to far to let this poor performance get ahead of the guys

I want to see Archer play next week,  Emslie, Hopkins & young Dawson who can play 9 or 13 he will give it everything 

Our half's need a shake up & looking like a centre on loan already 

If available.

Cresswell 

Toal Shaw Corkill Bullman

Archer Sammutt 

Laria wood Gillam

Hopkins Stack

Wells

Interchange

Brooks

Burke

Emslie

Dawson

Broadbent

No Langtree! Really think we need him in the side.