Awesome. Oldham seemed to have the potential for pretty big crowds, and were really strong for a while in the 80s until their best players got signed elsewhere (Ashton, Goodway etc). Also shout out to the Oldham Heritage society - one of the best websites there is for those interested in past players etc.

• Like 4

On 30/03/2023 at 07:47, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Appears that we've got a minimum of a 10 year agreement on boundary park. Looks like we've taken the IMG report as the way to  to get back up there.

After reading the first couple of pages of this thread I was tempted to ask two questions.

First. Was the initial discussion held by the local Council/other parties for Oldham RLFC to share Boundary Park held before the the announcement about IMG’s involvement in RL, and,

Secondly, did the Group that purchased the club decide to do so prior to the announcement about IMG’s involvement in the game’.

Just curious that’s all.

17 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

After reading the first couple of pages of this thread I was tempted to ask two questions.

First. Was the initial discussion held by the local Council/other parties for Oldham RLFC to share Boundary Park held before the the announcement about IMG’s involvement in RL, and,

Secondly, did the Group that purchased the club decide to do so prior to the announcement about IMG’s involvement in the game’.

Just curious that’s all.

Discussions on the groundshare started well before IMG's involvement had nothing to do with it. From the statement released by the new owners, the decision to pursue the acquisition of the club was made well over a year ago. Anyone suggesting that IMG's involvement in the game had any influence is way off the mark and are pushing a separate agenda. 

Edited by Roughyed Rats

40 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Discussions on the groundshare started well before IMG's involvement had nothing to do with it. From the statement released by the new owners, the decision to pursue the acquisition of the club was made well over a year ago. Anyone suggesting that IMG's involvement in the game had any influence is way off the mark and are pushing a separate agenda. 

I was in no way suggesting IMG was involved. What i was suggesting is that we, all be it coincidentally, are ticking off one by one the necessary requirements to progress from category C to category B and beyond. I was also suggesting that maybe no-one in the Oldham camp would be against the proposals. Of course I could be wrong.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Its been apparent in RL circles that some form of licensing would be coming in for at least the past 3 years. That this has morphed into IMG shouldn't be totally discounted as a motivating factor for clubs, Local Authorities or investors

12 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

No agenda from me.

Was just interested to see if the ‘movement’ by the Council and investors occurred after IMG was announced as RFL partners.

As you say it wasn’t then it demonstrates that a club outside of SL can look to move forward if there are supportive external organisations, such as the local Council, that can be a catalyst for attracting other investment. 

Edited by Adelaide Tiger

Think the announcement also coincided with the current OAFC owners, completing the transfer of ownership of Boundary Park from the previous owners, who did not seem accommodating to RL being played there. With a 10 year agreement in place and new owners of the RL club, things look promising.

As a lifelong Oldham RL fan, I would not be happy if we were promoted, if we had not won the right on the pitch.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, saints10coach said:

Think the announcement also coincided with the current OAFC owners, completing the transfer of ownership of Boundary Park from the previous owners, who did not seem accommodating to RL being played there. With a 10 year agreement in place and new owners of the RL club, things look promising.

As a lifelong Oldham RL fan, I would not be happy if we were promoted, if we had not won the right on the pitch.

Like Arsenal you mean!

I am with you….if I am not one of the best two teams in the division why on earth should I be promoted….and what does it mean for my chances of surviving in the higher league.

The fear of relegation from SL and being knocked out of the cup early has driven all discussions on the shape of the game.

Hadn't heard a thing about the takeover until I read about Chris Hamilton going to Widnes.

Undoubtedly, Oldham has a rich & often fruitful amateur set up.

History shows those coming off the production line have rarely stayed local.

If that were to change in future, there's a giant of a club to awaken.

A big problem will be re-connecting with many lapsed fans & bringing in a new generation.

Their traditional base was the East side of Oldham, whereas Latics tend to draw from areas closer to the stadium.

The football club are in National League One & have been drawing crowds of between 5 & 6k this season.

Even at Watersheddings, the rugby club rarely drew that many.

The strong local connections will certainly help with creating links & a sense of identity, and Mike Ford may well prove a big draw for higher calibre of players.

He certainly managed that as coach when guiding Oldham to the NFP Grand Final.

Finances are the big issue. Liabilities of £325k at League One level.

A move to Boundary Park will need a big enough crowd increase to cover any increase in matchday costs.

Best of luck to them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Oldham v Rochdale is Good Fridays game at Whitebank stadium with a 7.30 kick off. Would be good to see a lot of previous stay away fans and loads of neutrals turning up to give the new owners a great turn out. 

Problem is, there is supposedly an upsurge in interest. If, however, that interest is greater than the whitebank's capacity, people will be turned away. They may be put off and not bother coming back!

Edit, just checked online and capacity is set at 1,500. Not sure how accurate this is. If so, then I think we'll be ok.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot

On 31/03/2023 at 13:00, Roughyed Rats said:

I for one think the clubs new exactly what IMG had planned well in advance of the press release.

Infact everyone from outside the game doing a review comes up with the same plan, we will progress as a sport but then because a few old timers in Yorkshire don't like it we will swing back full circle.

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

I for one think the clubs new exactly what IMG had planned well in advance of the press release.

Infact everyone from outside the game doing a review comes up with the same plan, we will progress as a sport but then because a few old timers in Yorkshire don't like it we will swing back full circle.

I agree. The IMG proposals do need some reflection and adjustments, however, it's a way forward. In Oldham we seem, now, to be making progress. We have our own training facility at Melrose field. A facility from which the recently formed ladies team can play, as well as any future reserve and junior squad. The club is re engaging, at long last, with vast amateur set up. Mike Ford has said his main ambition is not necessarily getting to superleague, but to get the local junior talent wanting to play for their home town team. So I guess the next step will be an academy of some sort. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I agree. The IMG proposals do need some reflection and adjustments, however, it's a way forward. In Oldham we seem, now, to be making progress. We have our own training facility at Melrose field. A facility from which the recently formed ladies team can play, as well as any future reserve and junior squad. The club is re engaging, at long last, with vast amateur set up. Mike Ford has said his main ambition is not necessarily getting to superleague, but to get the local junior talent wanting to play for their home town team. So I guess the next step will be an academy of some sort. 

So off field facilities,  womens team and academy, sounds like building the corner stones af a SL bid.

Guess Ford has to play it down though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

So off field facilities,  womens team and academy, sounds like building the corner stones af a SL bid.

Guess Ford has to play it down though.

The Melrose playing field is a legacy from Joseph Platt, son of Oldham Father of Rugby League. It is not so much owned but administered by the RFL. Joseph Platt was the first secretary of the northern rugby football union/RFL. When he died he left a plot of land to be used, in perpetuity, for the use of rugby league and to be administered by the RFL. 40 years , or so, ago they came to an agreement with Morrisons to swop that land for Melrose field. A Morrisons store now sits on the original land. Melrose has been used by Hollinwood ARLFC and last year a joint agreement was made for Oldham to lease the field with Hollinwood. A grant from the council was made this year to develop the facilities.

• Like 4

On 06/04/2023 at 00:20, yipyee said:

I wouldn't say exactly, but since its been known SL has been looking for a strategic partner and no PE funding would come in, every club has been aware that they were going to have to up their game off field. Everyone has got a bit on edge as its not been clear exactly what they needed to do, but most knew it at least had to be "something".

It also seems that clubs, like Oldham I assume, have been able to go to council's and say "you need to support us or we won't be a super league team".