Jamaica hosting 2023 Americas Cup

4 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20230228/kingston-set-host-americas-rugby-champs

Will be great to see and they’re surely favourites on home soil especially given the current mess of RL in the USA.

It makes sense, it will more or less equalizes the travel for the other three countries and gives the Jamaican public a rare International event in their country.  Hopefully it will be a big boost for Jamaican domestic RL.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jparrish said:

Good news hopefully it comes through. Would like to see them take this chance to increase the domestic to heritage ratio slightly too

🇯🇲 

Unlikely with it being a WC qualifier. 

new rise.jpg

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What has the Americas Cup got to do with Rugby League?

It is the primary No1 sailing event in the World.

Please tell me this tournament is not called the Americas Cup.

It's called the Americas Championship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jparrish said:

The article said they had 6 domestic players in the RLWC squad. So even if they put 8 in the qualifiers squad it's a step in the right direction 

Both the US and Jamaica have tried to put their strongest teams together for qualifiers previously. 

new rise.jpg

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

What has the Americas Cup got to do with Rugby League?

It is the primary No1 sailing event in the World.

Please tell me this tournament is not called the Americas Cup.

You must have been fun when GB played Oz in the RL Ashes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 7 months later...

Is this competition another (alongside the European version) which has been cancelled due to France withdrawing as hosts for the next world cup?

The article from February said that between 25th October and 5th November, Jamaica, USA, Canada and Brazil (who defeated Chile and Columbia in a South American qualifier) would take part in the tournament.

The women's version did take place in September, but the only fixture I can find coming up for any of these countries is a single match between Jamaica and USA on 4th November.

Edited by Barley Mow

7 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Is this competition another (alongside the European version) which has been cancelled due to France withdrawing as hosts for the next world cup?

The article from February said that between 25th October and 5th November, Jamaica, USA, Canada and Brazil (who defeated Chile and Columbia in a South American qualifier) would take part in the tournament.

The women's version did take place in September, but the only fixture I can find coming up for any of these countries is a single match between Jamaica and USA on 4th November.

Surely they could have still played if they wanted to, regardless of whether the 2025 WC is on? 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Surely they could have still played if they wanted to, regardless of whether the 2025 WC is on? 

The only reason I could see it making a difference is if the IRL were funding transport/accommodation/facilities because the competition originally counted for world cup qualification.

If that was the case and the funding was pulled when France withdrew, it might have made the tournament unaffordable.

I don't think there was ever an announcement about cancellation though.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

The only reason I could see it making a difference is if the IRL were funding transport/accommodation/facilities because the competition originally counted for world cup qualification.

If that was the case and the funding was pulled when France withdrew, it might have made the tournament unaffordable.

I don't think there was ever an announcement about cancellation though.

That was exactly the case. Same reason that the Euro Champs were cancelled.

On 14/03/2023 at 19:00, Jparrish said:

The article said they had 6 domestic players in the RLWC squad. So even if they put 8 in the qualifiers squad it's a step in the right direction 

That's more than some teams had at the world cup and should be congratulated on that, and at all future world cups all countries should be made to have a certain amount of players from their own competitions

• Like 1