Franchise Rugby League

56 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Madri.... 😆

It's not really Spanish. They have it in my local Carrefour, but about 2 bottles on a shelf with all the other "niche" beers. Nobody here has ever heard of it. 

It's a UK product really. About 98% of sales are in the UK where it is basically a modified version of Coors Lite. 

It’s far superior to the undrinkable Coors Lite tbf. 

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

An old fella in my local pub is adamant that Coors, Carling and Madri are the exact same drink with different labels stuck on the bottle. 

As they are all made by Molson Coors he is probably right. It's all about marketing and what is pushed by the brewer how the different brands are perceived.

I didn't especially care for mainstream Spanish lager. I usually ended up drinking Heineken before I pretty much went teetotal.

Gun to head, Mahou Clásica over Cinco Estrellas. Estrella Galicia is probably the nicest of the mainstream beers. Portuguese beers are much better, though I had to go to Alcampo to find Super Bock because it barely exists.  I remember one brand called La Virgen, which wasn't bad.

I used to go to the mountains on occasion, when I really needed to clear my head.  I would go up to Manzanares el Real.  They have a local brewery called La Pedriza, which has a bar in the town, and they do a fairly nice IPA.

Edited by bbfaz

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

As they are all made by Molson Coors he is probably right. It's all about marketing and what is pushed by the brewer how the different brands are perceived.

Bringing us full circle to four "franchises" all owned by the same person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Bringing us full circle to four "franchises" all owned by the same person.

That doesn't seem to be the problem at all. 

The problem is that to bring such a project to any level of sucess a person would need deep pockets. 

16 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Gun to head, Mahou Clásica over Cinco Estrellas. 

100%.

Am really surprised more people don't say this.

Was on the AVE from Barcelona last night and the bar car had Mahou (which most people were drinking) or Estrella Damm.

I went with Estrella as it was the "red Mahou" which although a bit more premium, I just find has too strong a taste. Green Mahou (Clásica) for me every time. 

For Super Bock... Cantabria up in the North.  Quite a few places around there had it as the default draft option when I was last there. (The extra cold one, with the icy tap and the temperature display). 

Edited by Madrileño

1 minute ago, Madrileño said:

100%.

Am really surprised more people don't say this.

Was on the AVE from Barcelona last night and the bar car had Mahou (which most people were drinking) or Estrella Damm.

I went with Estrella as it was the "red Mahou" which although a bit more premium, I just find has too strong a taste. Green Mahou (Clásica) for me every time. 

Well, Cinco Estrellas from a bottle is sort of a Madrid staple.  Clasica draft in a frozen pint glass is probably the best pint you're getting outside an Irish pub in Madrid (Triskel Tavern on a Thursday for open mic - say hello to Richard).  However, the tall green can seems to have a bit of a niche with drunks sitting on street corners.

Estrella Damm - only in Barcelona or Costa Brava.  I swear it has something to do with the salt air.

In saying that, one of the first Spanish phrases I taught myself was "no bebo Cruzcampo", which is a mantra to live by.

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

For Super Bock... Cantabria up in the North.  Quite a few places around there had it as the default draft option when I was last there. (The extra cold one, with the icy tap and the temperature display). 

I never got that far north.  Just up to Segovia and Salamanca.  So much stuff I didn't get to do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Does this bloke fancy hosting a world cup as well? Alicante2025?

He will kick it off with a double header on the Phillippines...

(To be fair to the bloke, his ideas are only slightly more deranged than some of the suggestions on here!)

11 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

He will kick it off with a double header on the Phillippines...

(To be fair to the bloke, his ideas are only slightly more deranged than some of the suggestions on here!)

Make sure to buy your China RL gear before the comp starts.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

I'll buy an alicante bucket hat if you can source any. 

Merch is not normally a problem with these endeavours

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 20/06/2023 at 14:55, Eddie said:

What’s going on? 

not a lot... we are getting on towards the fixtures.

They were September weren't they?

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me