Attendance thread

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think most people in the country rally around the idea of ‘England’ in sports whether to watch them win or lose.

I would send England on tour outside the heartlands in part (not every game) where we can sell it and use England as the gateway to attending the Challenge Cup as a neutral fan (which used to be a strength).

If we can get non heartland sports fans to follow England then we can promote our marquee club events to them.

I think this will work faster than hoping London Broncos will emerge as a club superpower as ultimately most people follow success in sport or national (local) identity.

Absolutely. Though I think the clubs and national sides can be interlinked and help eachother.

I can almost guarantee if we played against Wales and France in say Bristol or London we would get better crowds than at Warrington or Leigh for example. There's neither the prejudice against those teams as international RL sides as there is in the heartlands, nor is there the availability of lots of top level RL on their doorstep. England is far more likely to be supported well in those areas.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. Though I think the clubs and national sides can be interlinked and help eachother.

I can almost guarantee if we played against Wales and France in say Bristol or London we would get better crowds than at Warrington or Leigh for example. There's neither the prejudice against those teams as international RL sides as there is in the heartlands, nor is there the availability of lots of top level RL on their doorstep. England is far more likely to be supported well in those areas.

How many do you think would go to an England v Wales mid season test match at Ashton Gate? 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How many do you think would go to an England v Wales mid season test match at Ashton Gate? 

With a bit of effort, and coordination with Wales RL, a fair bit more than we would get in Warrington or Leigh. Ideally I still think London would be the venue, though equally playing these sorts of matches in Wales would be good too.

Edit: 8400 in Warrington to beat for a home test against France. 

Edited by Tommygilf

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

With a bit of effort, and coordination with Wales RL, a fair bit more than we would get in Warrington or Leigh. Ideally I still think London would be the venue, though equally playing these sorts of matches in Wales would be good too.

Edit: 8400 in Warrington to beat for a home test against France. 

I don’t doubt London would get much bigger crowds, particularly as there are lots of exiled Northerners and Aussies there (I noticed a fair few Aussies in NRL jerseys yesterday), but not sure about Bristol. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I don’t doubt London would get much bigger crowds, particularly as there are lots of exiled Northerners and Aussies there (I noticed a fair few Aussies in NRL jerseys yesterday), but not sure about Bristol. 

Fair enough, but I would also add that anything even close would be beneficial, as these will most likely not be regular Super League attendees.

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fair enough, but I would also add that anything even close would be beneficial, as these will most likely not be regular Super League attendees.

Yes agreed, especially if it helped develop an amateur scene in Bristol. 

16 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I dreamed all my life of seeing us win at Wembley. Today I achieved it. I’m not sure it would have been quite the same elsewhere. It wasn’t full…so what. Not a prayer it would have been such a good crowd at Spurs or god forbid Anfield, Newcastle, wherever. There’s a reason 90,000 football fans walk past rugby league statues and murals every time they go to an England game. 

So based on the fact Wigan ( been there a zillion times ) played Huddersfield( not noted for their away following )there last year and got 51k , your saying that with Leigh and HKR ( first cup finals for decades hyper passionate fans , RL towns took 40k between them ) that it would have bee significantly less than 58k yesterday, That doesn’t add up , Regardless 10000 empty navy blue seats at spurs looks a S?!T load better than 35,000 empty bright Red ones at Wembley. It look’s an appalling advert on TV , either we fill the empty ones FOC with the forces , London NHS workers or some other scheme or move on . 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

So based on the fact Wigan ( been there a zillion times ) played Huddersfield( not noted for their away following )there last year and got 51k , your saying that with Leigh and HKR ( first cup finals for decades hyper passionate fans , RL towns took 40k between them ) that it would have bee significantly less than 58k yesterday, That doesn’t add up , Regardless 10000 empty navy blue seats at spurs looks a S?!T load better than 35,000 empty bright Red ones at Wembley. It look’s an appalling advert on TV , either we fill the empty ones FOC with the forces , London NHS workers or some other scheme or move on . 

Filling them with freebies would actually cost the RFL money as they would have to pay to open areas with zero revenue per seat.

And, yes, I have no doubt whatsoever that all of the participants yesterday would have taken smaller followings to literally anywhere other than Wembley. 

Edited by Leyther_Matt
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

I had a few texts from non-RL mates who said they really enjoyed watching it on TV, not one of them mentioned the empty seats. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Filling them with freebies would actually cost the RFL money as they would have to pay to open areas with zero revenue per seat.

And, yes, I have no doubt whatsoever that all of the participants yesterday would have taken smaller followings to literally anywhere other than Wembley. 

So do you feel that Leigh v KR would have attracted less than Wigan v V Huddersfield. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I had a few texts from non-RL mates who said they really enjoyed watching it on TV, not one of them mentioned the empty seats. 

I’ve had quite the opposite, I take everyone else point , However one of our two premier finals, our Showcases our showrooms to the world ,to have 30,000 plus empty seats I can’t see how we can think this is a good look. It’s not the fact it’s not a sell out it’s how vastly too large Wembley is for the occasion 5000 , even 15,000 empty and I don’t think we would be having this discussion but 32,000 empty seats !!!!! Come on When do you ever see a RU, NRL, NFL , Gaelic ,AFL showpiece final with so many empty seats never . I do mean showpieces by the way not ordinary games . 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

So do you feel that Leigh v KR would have attracted less than Wigan v V Huddersfield. 

Neutrals wise and having been to both games? Yes, absolutely. Wembley and the Challenge Cup are inextricably linked, and long may it continue.

And for all the fawning over the Spurs stadium, let’s not forget that they ran out of draught beer before the Challenge Cup Final even kicked off, whereas having been to Wembley twice in the last 4 months it is a tremendously well oiled machine on literally every measurable aspect. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

I’ve had quite the opposite, I take everyone else point , However one of our two premier finals, our Showcases our showrooms to the world ,to have 30,000 plus empty seats I can’t see how we can think this is a good look. It’s not the fact it’s not a sell out it’s how vastly too large Wembley is for the occasion 5000 , even 15,000 empty and I don’t think we would be having this discussion but 32,000 empty seats !!!!! Come on When do you ever see a RU, NRL, NFL , Gaelic ,AFL showpiece final with so many empty seats never . I do mean showpieces by the way not ordinary games . 

You need to find a few less boring mates 😉 

Edited by Leyther_Matt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Neutrals wise and having been to both games? Yes, absolutely. Wembley and the Challenge Cup are inextricably linked, and long may it continue.

And for all the fawning over the Spurs stadium, let’s not forget that they ran out of draught beer before the Challenge Cup Final even kicked off, whereas having been to Wembley twice in the last 4 months it is a tremendously well oiled machine on literally every measurable aspect. 

Fair point on the beer .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

You need to find a few less boring mates. 

Yes that’s one mildly offensive implacably fixed in your ways I’m right point of view . Or we could listen to different opinions of current non fans and potential new markets to see how we are perceived and use this data to increase attendances , Participation therefore increasing revenue therefore improving facilities etc , Sort of like running a business. We are in a sport that’s is just about to have its funding slashed because TV companies recognise its shrinking market , Where we have gone from being sponsored by Tetley, Gillette or British Gas to Bachelor’s mushy peas , Most clubs including yours are propped up by very kindly but not numerous ( like other sports ) wealthy benefactors. Our amateur game has shrunk alarmingly ( yes I know all sports have but we didn’t exactly start off with alot ) I don’t think I’m alone in thinking that we should openly discuss all opportunities to promote and improve the sport and showcase it in a way it deserves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RL Tragic said:

Yes that’s one mildly offensive implacably fixed in your ways I’m right point of view . Or we could listen to different opinions of current non fans and potential new markets to see how we are perceived and use this data to increase attendances , Participation therefore increasing revenue therefore improving facilities etc , Sort of like running a business. We are in a sport that’s is just about to have its funding slashed because TV companies recognise its shrinking market , Where we have gone from being sponsored by Tetley, Gillette or British Gas to Bachelor’s mushy peas , Most clubs including yours are propped up by very kindly but not numerous ( like other sports ) wealthy benefactors. Our amateur game has shrunk alarmingly ( yes I know all sports have but we didn’t exactly start off with alot ) I don’t think I’m alone in thinking that we should openly discuss all opportunities to promote and improve the sport and showcase it in a way it deserves.

Mate it wasn’t a serious reply, hence the (admittedly edited) emoji. I’ve just had the best weekend of my life. I’ve lived my seemingly impossible lifelong dream of seeing my team win at Wembley. I had 17 tickets. These included my wife, who in the 10 years since we met has gone from having no idea about RL to being a Leigh diehard. My brother, who used to sneak in to Hilton Park with me when we were literally 7/8 years old when they used to open the gates 15 minutes from the end. My nephew who is currently being courted by Wigan and Saints for their academies but only ever dreams to play for Leigh at Wembley. My two best men; we have attended week in, week out together for 25 years and thought Spurs last year would be the pinnacle, but even said at the time “shame it’s not Wembley”.  It’s no accident how many times Wembley crops up in that. 

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Mate it wasn’t a serious reply, hence the (admittedly edited) emoji. I’ve just had the best weekend of my life. I’ve lived my seemingly impossible lifelong dream of seeing my team win at Wembley. I had 17 tickets. These included my wife, who in the 10 years since we met has gone from having no idea about RL to being a Leigh diehard. My brother, who used to sneak in to Hilton Park with me when we were literally 7/8 years old when they used to open the gates 15 minutes from the end. My nephew who is currently being courted by Wigan and Saints for their academies but only ever dreams to play for Leigh at Wembley. My two best men; we have attended week in, week out together for 25 years and thought Spurs last year would be the pinnacle, but even said at the time “shame it’s not Wembley”.  It’s no accident how many times Wembley crops up in that. 

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The sport deserves so many more people like yourself, it’s heartbreaking how badly it’s been run , we should have 70-80k there without trying, very happy you have had an amazing time , and over the moon for Leigh 

• Thanks 1

Saw people on here talking about attracting occasional fans who are primarily into other sports but maybe watched some RLWC and like an event, and London being a good place for that. As someone in that bracket myself, now moved down from Yorkshire to just outside N London, thoughts. 1. Others have said this but it's very hard to time right - with start of soccer season, but also RU international on and cricket pretty much sold out Lord's not a great date? 2. I went to the cricket but doubt I would have attended CC final anyway. Having seen a few Rhinos games, I would feel odd watching two other teams play a club final. Some might feel differently eg expat Aussies who can't see own club and just want to see RL, but to me club matches no matter how big, don't hold the pull an international would. You could argue southern fans who'd seen RLWC but no allegiance to a club might feel differently, but for them I just suspect Leigh and Hull sound alien and not in a Miami v Chicago NFL way. Just my view on why CC final might always struggle to draw in the occasional fan.

What is it with some RL fans and attendances? 

We are obsessed. Who bloody cares. Just promote it better and it will come. Women's World Cup, First day of the Premiership, School Holidays. 

Its like playing darts with Stevie Wonder. Give it a couple of years and give it time. 

Oh, we also have stupid loop fixtures, magic weekend, rivals weekend, Grand Final, Pop Pickers week and any other American theme to keep Sky Happy. 

Just bring back the Yorks and Lancs cup for me and shove the GF and magic up your backsides!  Might give the CC final some value back then 👍

8 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

What is it with some RL fans and attendances? 

Firstly, its an attendance thread. Its specifically kept here to avoid people who don't want to discuss then having to see it.

Secondly, its the most basic barometer of the interest in the sport.

• Like 4