Attendance thread

3 minutes ago, On the buses said:

Kind of Reminds me of jocks shouting for and buying jerseys of teams playing against England in the football World Cup.

They have to do that because they never qualify themselves.

55 to go. :kolobok_wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, On the buses said:

Don’t see why anyone should celebrate the decline of any sport to be honest.

id rather concentrate on making RL better and more successful than cheer on the demise of another sport even if it is our rival.

The bigger question to ask is why this decline is happening in both codes of rugby and the alarming rise of the football behemoth that just seems to be getting bigger and bigger year on year.

I know I keep harping about it but I do think a combined code net a good deal with either Skyd or TNT.

PS check out my next post on Cross Codes in the next few hours or so.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EggFace said:

I know I keep harping about it but I do think a combined code net a good deal with either Skyd or TNT.

Playing at being Mr Spock I'll say a combination of League and Union is illogical. If League is the greater game, which it is, a hybrid of the two codes must produce a lesser game. If TGG hasn't swept all before it,  why should a lesser hybrid game?

For a new hybrid game to be bigger than Union it'll have to maintain many elements of Union, otherwise logically why would Union intelligentsia ( an oxymoron) go for it?

This wooly thinking about combining the codes, by League fans, is based on the assumption that the end product would be League but with a bit of Union kept in to keep the dark side happy,  but there's no reason they'd go for it. One code might happen eventually but only if the other collapses and is defunct. The best way to achieve that is to push push and push RL to cause Union to wither naturally.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dkw said:

It looks bad wishing ill on a sport that actively tries to destroy ours at every opportunity?  Don't be soft.

I don't think your use of the present tense is fair there. Historically, there have been real injustices - in France, armed forces - but I don't believe Union actively think much about League these days.

4 hours ago, On the buses said:

The 6 nations and autumn internationals are massive money spinners for union.

Might want to check out the RFU's finances though mate 

They have a very big income but still seem to have no money to spend .....Christ knows how because the massively stripped back grassroots spending and development officers 

They even brought in Ralph to help with financial oversight.....couldn't make it up 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, N2022 said:

I don't think your use of the present tense is fair there. Historically, there have been real injustices - in France, armed forces - but I don't believe Union actively think much about League these days.

Go speak to the Greek league lads about that.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, dkw said:

Go speak to the Greek league lads about that.

Or ask Sol Mokdad about what happened in the UAE.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Absolutely, shocking that. There's also still some messing around by Union authorities in France too. Very naive to believe they don't think much about league anymore.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Absolutely, shocking that. There's also still some messing around by Union authorities in France too. Very naive to believe they don't think much about league anymore.

With the internet, it's harder for them to get away with things on the scale of the past.

But when there's a chance, you know they'll take it.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, On the buses said:

Every time I go back to my home town of Whitehaven and the wider west Cumbrian region I see less and less people wearing RL jerseys and kids playing with rugby balls compared to seeing plenty of Man City, Newcastle and Liverpool jerseys as well as kids playing football.

I'd imagine Cumbria in general is affected by not having a top tier RL team, and maybe places like Bradford, Halifax etc. too that are traditional heartlands but don't have an SL team. To be fair it doesn't seem to be a problem in Wigan, St Helens etc. - kids will follow the top teams generally, so I think the biggest thing that could change that is a successful Cumbrian team IMO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, On the buses said:

Don’t see why anyone should celebrate the decline of any sport to be honest.

id rather concentrate on making RL better and more successful than cheer on the demise of another sport even if it is our rival.

The bigger question to ask is why this decline is happening in both codes of rugby and the alarming rise of the football behemoth that just seems to be getting bigger and bigger year on year.

I absolutely love the rah rah clubs going bust and the sport struggling. Total joke of a "sport".

Edited by Tre Cool
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, overtheborder said:

I'd imagine Cumbria in general is affected by not having a top tier RL team, and maybe places like Bradford, Halifax etc. too that are traditional heartlands but don't have an SL team. To be fair it doesn't seem to be a problem in Wigan, St Helens etc. - kids will follow the top teams generally, so I think the biggest thing that could change that is a successful Cumbrian team IMO.

Cumbria didn’t have a top flight team during the 90’s apart from 1996 either but the game was still top dog.

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Interesting and informative cases you've read. I read the articles. Pretty appalling. Seems the meddling does continue in some places.

3 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I absolutely love the rah rah clubs going bust and the sport struggling. Total joke of a "sport".

Sorry but I couldn’t disagree more as I just can’t love seeing people lose their jobs especially in the background staff like the tea ladies or the office workers or the grounds staff etc.

11 minutes ago, On the buses said:

Sorry but I couldn’t disagree more as I just can’t love seeing people lose their jobs especially in the background staff like the tea ladies or the office workers or the grounds staff etc.

Agree with your more human perspective and, whilst people may have various objections to the way some union figures have treated league, to label it a joke sport doesn't make sense. It has a wider profile than league, in terms of international calendar and countries where it is played to any level, and as a spectacle it's a matter of taste. Worst you can say IMO is that some of the play, especially scrum, is slow. Don't think that makes it a joke.

• Like 1

Just before we get locked.

Yes, there are plenty of decent people in the Union game.

But equally there are still some, and the further up you go, there more there are, who would destroy our sport in an instant if they could.  And they wouldn't give a flying you know what about our tea ladies, office staff or groundsmen. 

The difference between the two sports is that one has tried to end the other... and we know which way around that is.

• Like 9

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, EggFace said:

Think that ship sailed a long time ago both in terms of merging the 2 codes and getting a good tv deal.

33 minutes ago, N2022 said:

Agree with your more human perspective and, whilst people may have various objections to the way some union figures have treated league, to label it a joke sport doesn't make sense. It has a wider profile than league, in terms of international calendar and countries where it is played to any level, and as a spectacle it's a matter of taste. Worst you can say IMO is that some of the play, especially scrum, is slow. Don't think that makes it a joke.

Union also has a wider profile than league at the domestic level as well both at professional levels and grassroots levels.

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Just before we get locked.

Yes, there are plenty of decent people in the Union game.

But equally there are still some, and the further up you go, there more there are, who would destroy our sport in an instant if they could.  And they wouldn't give a flying you know what about our tea ladies, office staff or groundsmen. 

The difference between the two sports is that one has tried to end the other... and we know which way around that is.

Two wrongs and all that.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, On the buses said:

Two wrongs and all that.

Which wrong has Rugby League done?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris