Rugby League back at Lamport Stadium

Just now, Wigan Riversider said:

Not be so negative, insular and anti expansion.

SL is wonderful.

4 clubs within a 15+ mile radius: Wigan, Saints, Warrington and Leigh.

No surprise that the current TV deal plummeted from £40million to £25 million.

I said exactly?

32 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not been keeping abreast after the previous false starts, is this in a league or just a friendly? And why is there a random ground in the image?!

Ontario Rugby League; Toronto City, Brampton and Brantford playing a 3-team round robin.  Details are in the International forum.  $5 for an amateur game seems steep but hopefully they get a programme for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

A RL in Toronto thread,I can hear the war drums sounding.

Nah, the ones that don't care won and the ones that lost don't care. I know RL fans can pick a fight in a phone battery space but I doubt this even has the drama of a session of Pooh Sticks!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Pity SL chairman were so narrow minded when Toronto were in SL.

It was an ill-conceived idea that should've been laughed out of the room but David Argyle turned up with a wodge of cash so the RFL felt the need to make it work.  It would've made more sense to expand the CFL to London than it does to expand European Rugby League to Toronto.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Not be so negative, insular and anti expansion.

SL is wonderful.

4 clubs within a 15+ mile radius: Wigan, Saints, Warrington and Leigh.

No surprise that the current TV deal plummeted from £40million to £25 million.

So are you saying Wigan should disband or be placed into the championship so only 3 SL clubs are in that 15 miles?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

It was an ill-conceived idea that should've been laughed out of the room but David Argyle turned up with a wodge of cash so the RFL felt the need to make it work.  It would've made more sense to expand the CFL to London than it does to expand European Rugby League to Toronto.

Yes he turned up with cash and a golden goose, yet as Toronto is more than 5 miles of an M62 junction the clubs couldn’t handle the idea. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Yes he turned up with cash and a golden goose, yet as Toronto is more than 5 miles of an M62 junction the clubs couldn’t handle the idea. 

So what exactly should they have done ? 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Oh for f****** f***'s sake, we've got to hear this inane nonsense again.

Just now, Eddie said:

Embraced the idea of rugby league expanding, rather than doing everything they could to stop it. 

Stop talking in platitudes.  It's boring.

Edited by bbfaz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Embraced the idea of rugby league expanding, rather than doing everything they could to stop it. 

As faz said , leave the ' platitudes ' 

WTFs a platitude ? 😂

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As faz said , leave the ' platitudes ' 

WTFs a platitude ? 😂

Ok, to be more specific, told them from the start if they’d be allowed into SL or not, and given them their fair share of the tv money when they got there. The ‘no sky dishes’ argument is nonsense, TWP got more column inches in the national media than all the other clubs combined, and more neutrals would have watched their games than those that tune on for Leigh or Wakey etc too. It was a typically parochial RL decision to close the door on them, and then the clubs wonder why the tv deal is getting smaller and the game is shrinking. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

Oh for f****** f***'s sake, we've got to hear this inane nonsense again.

Stop talking in platitudes.  It's boring.

Becoming offensive is a sure sign of having nowt to offer in a debate. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ok, to be more specific, told them from the start if they’d be allowed into SL or not, and given them their fair share of the tv money when they got there. The ‘no sky dishes’ argument is nonsense, TWP got more column inches in the national media than all the other clubs combined, and more neutrals would have watched their games than those that tune on for Leigh or Wakey etc too. It was a typically parochial RL decision to close the door on them, and then the clubs wonder why the tv deal is getting smaller and the game is shrinking. 

Agree about the money , but COVID killed Toronto , nothing and nobody else 

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They would've flashed their collective knickers if there was any kind of TV money coming from Canada.  Or players.  Or sponsorship money or anything at all to suggest that something - anything - was coming to benefit the sport.

However, what we had was a racist Australian who stiffed players for money and a city where you can't play a home game until May in a broken-down CFL practice field.  What we had was a half-baked idea for another club in a city even colder than Toronto and a non-starter of a team in New York.  It's not that they couldn't see the vision, it's that no viable vision was presented.

It's a level of optimism unseen outside Trotskyism or the Scottish National Party.

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Becoming offensive is a sure sign of having nowt to offer in a debate. 

I don't wish to go back to this nonsense of justifying reality in the face of fantasy.  Debates over the Wolfpack made this forum incredibly toxic. People being so certain about hypothetical situations is maddening.  I am sick of the debate because, even now, it's all based on supposition.  I remember having to wade through threads where people were talking about how they'd have a world class team in a sport where they have no history when they can't even get a world class team in basketball where they actually have world class players.

One of the few people I've ever blocked on this forum was insistent that Canadian Football players in U Sports are the greatest athletes in the world.  Bear in mind that eventhough they're playing basically the same sport, the NFL doesn't scout Canada and there are only 25 Canadians in the NFL, almost of whom either played in the CFL or went to college in the US.  You can't deal with that level of delusion.

There's not one shred of evidence that Toronto was a Golden Goose.  Seemed more like the Canada geese in my local park who just s*** all over the place.

Edited by bbfaz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bbfaz said:

Ontario Rugby League; Toronto City, Brampton and Brantford playing a 3-team round robin.  Details are in the International forum.  $5 for an amateur game seems steep but hopefully they get a programme for that.

Appreciated, cheers. 3 quid seems more than fair to me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

They would've flashed their collective knickers if there was any kind of TV money coming from Canada.  Or players.  Or sponsorship money or anything at all to suggest that something - anything - was coming to benefit the sport.

However, what we had was a racist Australian who stiffed players for money and a city where you can't play a home game until May in a broken-down CFL practice field.  What we had was a half-baked idea for another club in a city even colder than Toronto and a non-starter of a team in New York.  It's not that they couldn't see the vision, it's that no viable vision was presented.

It's a level of optimism unseen outside Trotskyism or the Scottish National Party.

I don't wish to go back to this nonsense of justifying reality in the face of fantasy.  Debates over the Wolfpack made this forum incredibly toxic. People being so certain about hypothetical situations is maddening.  I am sick of the debate because, even now, it's all based on supposition.  I remember having to wade through threads where people were talking about how they'd have a world class team in a sport where they have no history when they can't even get a world class team in basketball where they actually have world class players.

One of the few people I've ever blocked on this forum was insistent that Canadian Football players in U Sports are the greatest athletes in the world.  Bear in mind that eventhough they're playing basically the same sport, the NFL doesn't scout Canada and there are only 25 Canadians in the NFL, almost of whom either played in the CFL or went to college in the US.  You can't deal with that level of delusion.

There's not one shred of evidence that Toronto was a Golden Goose.  Seemed more like the Canada geese in my local park who just s*** all over the place.

One of my all time top 10 favourite posts on this board , if there was a ' bowing ' emoticon/emoji I would post it now 

👍😂😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1