Suggestions for Next World Cup Host

6 hours ago, JonM said:

I went there on holiday last year. I think you'd have to play indoors for an October/November world cup though as it's almost as cold as Watersheddings. The locals speak better English though.

I'm jealous, I'd love an holiday to Svalbard! Really fancy the Faroes and Greenland as well. 

With 2 years to go I'd like us to just play it safe and have the tournament in Australia or Australia/NZ and be grateful its going ahead. 

Then for 2029 look left of field as long as a strategy is put in place. NZ alone or NZ and FIJI, France with more time to get there together ? Great Britain and France joint bid if not.  South Africa have expressed interest in other World cups I believe as well as this one but given there government don't recognise rugby league that would be a big hurdle for funding 

Just now, Jparrish said:

With 2 years to go I'd like us to just play it safe and have the tournament in Australia or Australia/NZ and be grateful its going ahead. 

Then for 2029 look left of field as long as a strategy is put in place. NZ alone or NZ and FIJI, France with more time to get there together ? Great Britain and France joint bid if not.  South Africa have expressed interest in other World cups I believe as well as this one but given there government don't recognise rugby league that would be a big hurdle for funding 

Of course in the unlikely event the Qatar bid was to be real lets snap there hand off. Making them wait till 2029 would give Union a chance to scupper it.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JT RL said:

World Cup every 5 years. Allows space for GB v Aussie series every 5 years, in the middle of the cycle, and it were.

World Cups alternate north & south hemisphere. Anchor nation + one pool overseas, nearby.

Next competition: NZ. One pool in Tonga.

indeed it does.. which is exactly why we should not do it... GB is done, mourn it and let it go.. England tours let the other nations tour if they want but GB proved last time around it has nothing to offer. 

WC every 4 years and a rigidly kept to international calendar set out 5-6 years in advance (it doesnt need to be 10). If Australia dont want to tour/play one year thats fine but lets have that built in so we all know in advance and organise around it.. this waiting till 6 months before hand is madness. 

You can plan a big "once in a lifetime" holiday around pretty much all other sports big events, whether thats world cups, lions tours, ashes series (or any tour that takes your fancy in cricket, West Indies etc)... its only RL where you have to plan last minute.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Number 16 said:

You'll be telling us next that unicorns aren't real...

nah.. because theres proof... look at this nice erm unicorn.. 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, RP London said:

nah.. because theres proof... look at this nice erm unicorn.. 

spacer.png

About three/four years ago I was having dreams about those ( the inflatable, not the girls , I've had dreams about them for nearly fifty years 😀 ) we were on holiday in Turkey and the bloody things were everywhere , I counted 7 in one pool one particular day , not actually dreams , more nightmares as they were chasing me 

Just got back from Antalya last night and thankfully only spotted one unicorn , saw a few young ladies though 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RP London said:

indeed it does.. which is exactly why we should not do it... GB is done, mourn it and let it go.. England tours let the other nations tour if they want but GB proved last time around it has nothing to offer. 

WC every 4 years and a rigidly kept to international calendar set out 5-6 years in advance (it doesnt need to be 10). If Australia dont want to tour/play one year thats fine but lets have that built in so we all know in advance and organise around it.. this waiting till 6 months before hand is madness. 

You can plan a big "once in a lifetime" holiday around pretty much all other sports big events, whether thats world cups, lions tours, ashes series (or any tour that takes your fancy in cricket, West Indies etc)... its only RL where you have to plan last minute.

Apologies, I did not add, that I’d have an annual (single fixture) England vs France … and an annual England vs a southern hemisphere 2 or 3 games series 

5 year cycle for GB Lions coming together

5 year cycle for WC

creates a nice balance 

21 hours ago, JT RL said:

Apologies, I did not add, that I’d have an annual (single fixture) England vs France … and an annual England vs a southern hemisphere 2 or 3 games series 

5 year cycle for GB Lions coming together

5 year cycle for WC

creates a nice balance 

Please stop with GB… it has no place anymore and means nothing.

Tristan da Cunha sounds ideal.

To quote the official website, “There are no package tours for independent travelers, no hotels, no airport, no holiday reps, no night clubs, no restaurants, no jet skis nor safe sea swimming.”

All visitors need to clear their arrivals in advance through the Island Council, and they also need to obtain a police certificate. (A 40-day wait is typical.)

There are around 10 sailings a year from Cape Town, South Africa, and Namibia, each taking five to six days to reach the islands; it costs $800-$1,500 for a round trip. A list of available ships can be found on the website.

( as realistic as all the other solutions proposed across the forum.)

• Haha 1