Sat 20th May: CC6: Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors KO 14:30 (BBC)

Who will win?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/05/23 at 14:00

It’s easy to criticise based on one error or mistake but there is definitely a pattern emerging with regards to Newman. 

His onfield discipline is poor. Penalties for dissent and cards received.

At times shows a poor attitude to team mates.The recent “disagreement” with Holroyd. I wonder if anything was said yesterday?

His defence isn’t a strong part of his game. Definitely at fault for one of the tries yesterday and probably at fault for a second one  

His decision making of when to pass or not to pass was poor in both instances yesterday.

And he is not some type of rookie. He is 23 years old and is not showing many signs of developing or improving. He believes the hype.

Yes you can say that all of these could be considered one offs but a pattern seems to be  forming

JP’s comments yesterday pre match were very telling. If he had been part of the Leeds “golden era” I wonder if he would have been made to change or been shipped out?

Maybe it’s time for him to grow up?

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He should have passed absolutely no doubt, there’s a lot of people going way over the top about it though (especially on twitter) Lad made a mistake, hopefully he’ll learn from it because wether people like him or not he is a talented player and we need more talented homegrown players.

He made the same mistake twice in the same game Chris, the first time he got away with it not with just one man in support but two, the second time was just unbelievable.

Does he have no confidence in his own passing abillity, or does his ego take over him and he saw himself being shoulder carried of the field by his team mates as the saviour, I would love to have heard Mylers reaction to being snubbed twice, on the first occasion we could see Mylers disgust with how he flung his arms in the air, but I would love to have heard the audible version back in the changing rooms after the game, perhaps in a situation like this Silence could speak far more than a bollocking.

20 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He should have passed absolutely no doubt, there’s a lot of people going way over the top about it though (especially on twitter) Lad made a mistake, hopefully he’ll learn from it because wether people like him or not he is a talented player and we need more talented homegrown players.

I don't think the majority are basing it only on the one mistake though, it's an accumulation of recent events, his attitude is now under question from many within the game, as well as fans, not helped by his family members unfortunately.

If you could be bothered you could look on here and see I'm a massive fan of his, I was gutted when he got injured as I was looking forward to seeing him in the world cup. My worry is he will waste his talents, and I do hope this is a turning point for him, the penny drops and he gets his head right and goes on to be the player he can be. Unfortunately there's every chance this whole thing goes the other way unless the right people get a grip of him as his Dad doesn't seem the type to review it sensibly, more likely to just dig the trenches deeper.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

That seems pretty hard considering how his family seemingly pamper him in that he never does anything wrong.

Yep so it’s down to the coaching staff and team mates. Like I posted would JP, Sinfield, JJB etc have put up with it for so long?

1 minute ago, Tippytoe said:

It could have been the play to win a world cup final he would have done the same thing its his nature it's in his Dna he's always going to put himself before anything else no lesson will ever change that.

That thought about the WC final crossed my mind also.

13 minutes ago, dkw said:

I don't think the majority are basing it only on the one mistake though, it's an accumulation of recent events, his attitude is now under question from many within the game, as well as fans, not helped by his family members unfortunately.

If you could be bothered you could look on here and see I'm a massive fan of his, I was gutted when he got injured as I was looking forward to seeing him in the world cup. My worry is he will waste his talents, and I do hope this is a turning point for him, the penny drops and he gets his head right and goes on to be the player he can be. Unfortunately there's every chance this whole thing goes the other way unless the right people get a grip of him as his Dad doesn't seem the type to review it sensibly, more likely to just dig the trenches deeper.

Why do I need to look for your posts I didn’t single you out did i?

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Why do I need to look for your posts I didn’t single you out did i?

No, sorry, that wasn't written well.

I just meant it as a point that I love him as a player, desperately want him to get sorted and play for England. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Gives me the impression he is bigger than anyone else at the club, is Smith the father figure who can guide him?

He thinks he is bigger than anyone else but if Leeds want to be successful then that must change. As to Smith’s ability to guide him the jury is clearly out albeit the evidence , so far, is that he hasn’t managed to change Newman for the better. 

3 minutes ago, LeeF said:

He thinks he is bigger than anyone else but if Leeds want to be successful then that must change. As to Smith’s ability to guide him the jury is clearly out albeit the evidence , so far, is that he hasn’t managed to change Newman for the better. 

In fairness he’s only coached him for a dozen games or so.

I think Newmans injuries maybe in part to why is attitude isn’t where it should be, like he’s trying everything too hard to make up for lost time.

its going to be an interesting second half of the year for him

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

In fairness he’s only coached him for a dozen games or so.

I think Newmans injuries maybe in part to why is attitude isn’t where it should be, like he’s trying everything too hard to make up for lost time.

its going to be an interesting second half of the year for him

He has coached him for a year now and Newman is 23 not some kid straight out of school. His all round attitude comes across as awful and unless something changes quickly then he will waste his talent and fall well short of his potential. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LeeF said:

He has coached him for a year now and Newman is 23 not some kid straight out of school. His all round attitude comes across as awful and unless something changes quickly then he will waste his talent and fall well short of his potential. 

I agree, however it’s not as sinple of him just changing his attitude that arrogance can be part of why he is so good, its a balancing act which he isn’t getting right at the moment.

Yes he’s 23 but he spent over two of those years on the sidelines with career threatening injuries.

As I say will be interesting to see how he goes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Again Jamie Peacock nailed all of this pre and post match. If the words of Leeds legend like that aren't a wake up call then I fear nothing will be.

• Like 5

Putting the sporting aspect to one side the clubs are a buissness and as such having a good cup run creates a big chunk of revenue which in turn affects spend player retention new signings etc I've no doubt at all that one of Smiths job criteria would have been to do well in all competitions,so the no pass will have cost the club in more ways than one!

17 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

Putting the sporting aspect to one side the clubs are a buissness and as such having a good cup run creates a big chunk of revenue which in turn affects spend player retention new signings etc I've no doubt at all that one of Smiths job criteria would have been to do well in all competitions,so the no pass will have cost the club in more ways than one!

Yeah lets blame everything including player signings on one piece of bad play by a one player.

That’ll help. There’s multiple things happen in a game that influence the result, even Newman passing doesn’t guarantee anything, Myler could have dropped it, Newman could have passed it forward, French could have intercepted, Leeds could have scored and still lost.

Newman absolutely should have passed that ball, but a witch hunt especially from the coaching staff is a daft way to resolve any issues.

He’s a cracking player Newman but clearly there seems to be some attitude issues. It’s a tough one because the aggression and attitude he plays with, makes him the player he is. He’s been unbelievable against us this past 12 months and at times it’s felt like he’s bullied us and you don’t see that very often from a back. He went after Field and French in the game at Headingley last season and totally put them off their game. I’d breathe easier if he wasn’t in the Leeds team, that’s for sure. I bet Newman wishes we had a goal kicker. His brain fade at the end should not have mattered. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WN83 said:

He’s a cracking player Newman but clearly there seems to be some attitude issues. It’s a tough one because the aggression and attitude he plays with, makes him the player he is. He’s been unbelievable against us this past 12 months and at times it’s felt like he’s bullied us and you don’t see that very often from a back. He went after Field and French in the game at Headingley last season and totally put them off their game. I’d breathe easier if he wasn’t in the Leeds team, that’s for sure. I bet Newman wishes we had a goal kicker. His brain fade at the end should not have mattered. 

That game against you at Headingley was a masterclass from Newman, had French and Field in his pocket all night.

5 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

yep maybe... the again you could say getting a cup draw between the two clubs meant one had to fail or in your words cost the club in more ways then one.

On 20/05/2023 at 15:18, Damien said:

I've said this for years. He should be a backup hooker, not starting hooker, at a club like Wigan.

Would they like Lussick from Saints, he was great on Friday and even better the week before as bottle carrier ?. 

On 20/05/2023 at 16:24, Damien said:

Jamie Peacock's comments on Newman before the game are prophetic now (and I paraphrase) - "(at times)he looks like a 7 years old boy, is petulant, is selfish and not a team player."

Newman is a cracking player, elusive and fast. But i still remember the abuse he gave an official when he disallowed one of his tries at Saints last season. I have never seen a player from the top tier lose it like he did, he went all Jack Torrance from The Shining. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

Do they get any cash for winning the cup.  Or do the winners receive a £1 free bet voucher each, on any £2 slot machine in the cup sponsors betting shops ?. 

22 hours ago, LeeF said:

Yep so it’s down to the coaching staff and team mates. Like I posted would JP, Sinfield, JJB etc have put up with it for so long?

No is the answer as JP alluded to pre-match. There's no 'i' in team as Leeds undoubtedly were back then.