Match thread: Championship Round 13. Featherstone Rovers v Barrow. Sunday 4th June 2023.

12 down. Bring 'em along, who's next?

Barrow.

Very interesting to watch another new halfback combo in action last Saturday, the Ford-Lacans show. Worked pretty well I thought.

Great to see Fordy and Hankinson back. Won't be long surely before we see Kheirallah too. I assume Dean will be available again. Joey still recovering, but that's a lot of competition in the backs.

Up front, with Koppy & Locky both going well, and Moors getting more game time, the senior members of the pack look like they're being well managed. Dan Smith has slotted in, JD is playing some great rugby, Springer is having an impact. They're all going well tbh. I thought Day ran hard at York after some low-key performances recently. Talk that Cozza is ready to return.

This could mean that we have 25 of our 27 man squad available for Barrow (all bar Leilua and ET) which will be a selection headache even before the 21 man squad is whittled down to 17.

Over to you, Longy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daft old hooker said:

Will be interesting to see if MK gets a run out this week they seemed to suggest they wanted to give 30 minutes would Sunday be a good time for that?

As good a time  as ever.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I suppose one big question this week is if Riley Dean is available. He didn’t get great reviews from Wolves supporters against Leigh, and presumably Drinkwater will be back for Wire. 

It has usually been the case that we play loan players.I am ok either way Dean and Ford or Lacans and Ford.I think Lacans did enough to keep his place at the Bash.Jones plays better off the bench  so it looks like a straight choice.

25 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

It has usually been the case that we play loan players.I am ok either way Dean and Ford or Lacans and Ford.I think Lacans did enough to keep his place at the Bash.Jones plays better off the bench  so it looks like a straight choice.

I guess that Dean would be a better option with kicking until Hanks can kick, but I’d like to see Ford and Lacans play a few games together. It’s a tough decision for Longy.

3 hours ago, Bring back GB said:

We finished 4th last season after promotion from L1 !!!

In fairness i think he means at Featherstone, you did have a couple of good seasons all in all.

13 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

We lost 10 league games that season.Which is remarkable considering we were in the play off final.

I'd put it a different way - what was remarkable about that season was that we made the play-off final after having a squad of about 7 players at the end of 2018. Anyone remember that pre-season game at Cas when we unveiled our star triallists Ryan Bailey and Jordan Tansey, plus a string of lads from the lower reaches of the Yorkshire Men's League?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bring back GB said:

We won at Fev in 2019 🤣

Yeah 38-16 remember now,we won away. I can remember when Barra only won 2 games in the league all season, Fev home and away ! 78/79 season 19- 18 at Barrow and 11-7 at Featherstone.

Edited by Fevrover

Below is what Powell said about Riley Dean in the Warrington echo.

When asked about Dean returning to Featherstone, Powell said: “He’s still with us at the moment. We’ve just got to make a decision on what that looks like moving forward.

“We obviously need to do what is best for Riley for his development. There’s a couple of bits that I won’t go into, but we just need to decide what’s best for him.”

6 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

If we're sat waiting every week for Warrington to decide whether he's available then just completely sack off the arrangement in my opinion.

I wonder if the issue is at our end, and last week is making us think about stopping the loan?.

10 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

When asked about Dean returning to Featherstone, Powell said: “He’s still with us at the moment. We’ve just got to make a decision on what that looks like moving forward.

“We obviously need to do what is best for Riley for his development. There’s a couple of bits that I won’t go into, but we just need to decide what’s best for him.”

That sounds a bit different to how he was talking about the arrangement earlier in the season.

35 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

That sounds more like "we are deciding if we want to keep Dean contracted to us at Warrington as a backup half back or whether to let him go."

Edited by The Grinder

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

30 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

That sounds more like "we are deciding if we want to keep Dean contracted to us at Warrington as a backup half back or whether to let him go."

Sounds like he's being targeted as a permanent siging with an eye on next season. 

49 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Agree G    the moving forward .isn't about this year but next  drinkwater and williams  are written in stone and they got 18 year old hayes who apparently is the new rob burrows in 1st team squad  so in 24 the question is does he stay and see  out his contract or does he go