State of Origin 2

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The ref ignoring stuff like this was a nonsense. 

IMG_20230621_133723_copy_912x420_copy_456x210.jpg

You would have liked to have seen a penalty for that?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Anyone else think that there was a clear knock on by Queensland in the act of scoring? On field ref gave no try and video ref overuled him.

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes. Bizarre.

It was sent up to the video ref as no try as well wasn't it?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I really couldn't understand the logic of bringing Damien Cook into the centre after 3 minutes when Trbojevic was injured. 

Fitter had Cam Murray and Liam Martin on the bench who have both played on an edge and yet he throws Cook, a 9, into defending in the centre where he has absolutely no experience. 

He did ok with the ball in his hands but his inexperience in defence was exploited.  Crazy decision. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You would have liked to have seen a penalty for that?

You think that isn't a penalty? The tackler has to clear the ruck. 

It is bizarre to think that is legal. 

45 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You think that isn't a penalty? The tackler has to clear the ruck. 

It is bizarre to think that is legal. 

There are loads of technical things not punished in our game.  If we gave a penalty for every scrum or ruck offence we wouldn't have a game.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I really couldn't understand the logic of bringing Damien Cook into the centre after 3 minutes when Trbojevic was injured. 

Fitter had Cam Murray and Liam Martin on the bench who have both played on an edge and yet he throws Cook, a 9, into defending in the centre where he has absolutely no experience. 

He did ok with the ball in his hands but his inexperience in defence was exploited.  Crazy decision. 

I don’t think he has the brainpower or tactical nous to work things out on the hoof 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

There are loads of technical things not punished in our game.  If we gave a penalty for every scrum or ruck offence we wouldn't have a game.

That's more than a technical offence. It led to yet another scuffle, slowed the game down and the ref then deemed it legal and said play the ball. 

It wasn't legal, it was a foul, and tbh is as clear cut an example of PTB interference you will ever ever see. You can't stand over the player when the tackle is complete. What if every player decides to do that every tackle? 

The problem is that the ref ignored an awful lot of incidents, and it wasn't a massive surprise it ended as it did. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That's more than a technical offence. It led to yet another scuffle, slowed the game down and the ref then deemed it legal and said play the ball. 

It wasn't legal, it was a foul, and tbh is as clear cut an example of PTB interference you will ever ever see. You can't stand over the player when the tackle is complete. What if every player decides to do that every tackle? 

The problem is that the ref ignored an awful lot of incidents, and it wasn't a massive surprise it ended as it did. 

I'm OK with it.

You want a clean game with all the technical penalties and 'grubby' acts punished whereas I am happy with Luai being a bit of a pantomime villain.  If he does that then he is in the firing line for the next set.

I know you want to see this stuff punished in State of Origin but to be honest if it was, I wouldn't bother watching it... it is the edge that makes it different. 

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm OK with it.

You want a clean game with all the technical penalties and 'grubby' acts punished whereas I am happy with Luai being a bit of a pantomime villain.  If he does that then he is in the firing line for the next set.

I know you want to see this stuff punished in State of Origin but to be honest if it was, I wouldn't bother watching it... it is the edge that makes it different. 

I'm baffled by that tbh. This wasn't a technicality. It's just a blatant infringement. He doesn't straddle him then step back. He straddles him, then stays there meaning DCE can't get up. Once they become tangled it has to be a penalty. Nothing edgy, just a  blatant foul. 

It is as blatant a penalty as you will ever see. Klein ignored yet another messy handbags scuffle and ultimately it led to 2 red cards and a yellow by the end of the game. 

• Like 2

Bye,bye Freddie

NSW we’re totally outplayed,outfought,outthought & out coached by a young Qld team that could dominate for years,I’m struggling to name a single blues player over the 2 games who would get into the Qld run on side.

27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm baffled by that tbh. This wasn't a technicality. It's just a blatant infringement. He doesn't straddle him then step back. He straddles him, then stays there meaning DCE can't get up. Once they become tangled it has to be a penalty. Nothing edgy, just a  blatant foul. 

It is as blatant a penalty as you will ever see. Klein ignored yet another messy handbags scuffle and ultimately it led to 2 red cards and a yellow by the end of the game. 

I typed a long reply and when I hit submit, the site was down so I lost it all.

I will summarise it by saying that Luai acted like a %£#@, got smashed on the scoreboard and Klein ref'd the game like he has the last few Origin's... allowing more than you would see in a normal NRL game.

As I say, I am OK with that.  And to be honest, it has to happen because if they don't try and keep this 'edge' going the State of Origin concept is likely to fizzle out over time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

The ref ignoring stuff like this was a nonsense. 

IMG_20230621_133723_copy_912x420_copy_456x210.jpg

Luai is a grub & resorted to type after being outplayed by a 34 yr old DCE & another poor Origin performance,definitely a penalty for me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I typed a long reply and when I hit submit, the site was down so I lost it all.

I will summarise it by saying that Luai acted like a %£#@, got smashed on the scoreboard and Klein ref'd the game like he has the last few Origin's... allowing more than you would see in a normal NRL game.

As I say, I am OK with that.  And to be honest, it has to happen because if they don't try and keep this 'edge' going the State of Origin concept is likely to fizzle out over time.

I don't disagree with your general point. I'm OK with some of the tackles that are on the edge, not fussing about minor things, I'm on board with that.

I do however think the game was refereed poorly today even within that context (and I don't want this to be a ref bashing thing, that's not my style). I think NSW overstepped the mark too often and it needed stamping down on as it was moving into silliness at times - I think that was as a result of it being something of a masterclass by the Maroons. I thought they were outstanding and suffocated NSW. 

I'm cool with not beibg fussy, but it actually affected the spectacle today whereas that isn't always the case imho. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't disagree with your general point. I'm OK with some of the tackles that are on the edge, not fussing about minor things, I'm on board with that.

I do however think the game was refereed poorly today even within that context (and I don't want this to be a ref bashing thing, that's not my style). I think NSW overstepped the mark too often and it needed stamping down on as it was moving into silliness at times - I think that was as a result of it being something of a masterclass by the Maroons. I thought they were outstanding and suffocated NSW. 

I'm cool with not beibg fussy, but it actually affected the spectacle today whereas that isn't always the case imho. 

That's fair enough.  And if it was a closer game then that stupidity from Luia may have bothered me more... but like the rest of the NSW team, he was outplayed and so he resorted back to his daft antics and made a fool of himself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's been a horrible grubby game this. They ignore far too much in play. The commentators are awful too calling for the ref to ignore foul play. 

The commentary is embarrassing, worse than sky. Johns is an idiot, not calling that tackle a hip drop when it was as clear as day. And they always churn out the nonsense about how it’s got the potential to be an Origin classic and then ended up being completely one sided. They’ve taken lessons off the other code in how to embellish everything 

I really don’t know what Edwards needs to do to get the nod over Tedesco who’s been so ordinary this season.

And how Addo Carr only got a yellow for punching? Crazy

The game got grubby because it wasn’t very close 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The Fox punching someone was a shock. It epitomised how completely the Blues unravelled 

Came as no surprise to me had a sneaky elbow at Reece Walsh during the opening minutes of game 1 that he got away with.

Absolute hilarity with him walking off patting the NSW crest how very indigenous. 

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I haven't watched the whole game yet - But I just found it hilarious how the commentators tried their best not to call QLD's second try a forward pass. 

Are all of the commentry team from Queensland? As one person almost called it forward before calling it a "line" ball and then going on to never address it and call it a great Origin try.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

The tackle is complete. Is that a legal place for the marker to stand? 

I replied without seeing the previous chat on this. I didn't see it as a penalty at the time and a still image doesn't do anyone any good.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas