Leeds sign French international forward for next season

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

You could say it’s good that more French players are going to English SL clubs but that’s only valid if Goudemand is replaced by another Frenchman at Catalans.

Indeed it would. We can only hope that the Catalans develop as much French talent as possible

• Like 2

On 30/06/2023 at 18:31, Gomersall said:

You could say it’s good that more French players are going to English SL clubs but that’s only valid if Goudemand is replaced by another Frenchman at Catalans.

Ben Garcia is playing in his position, loose forward. 

On 30/06/2023 at 10:54, The Future is League said:

Obviously a cheaper option than extending Sam Walters contract or a player from the NRL

I don't think that I have ever read a totalrl.com post quite like this one. it is the kind of thing that you would expect to hear from Huddersfield's Chief Executive and Little Englander, Richard Thewlis.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12657915/super-league-catalans-dragons-head-coach-steve-mcnamara-accuses-huddersfield-giants-of-disrespect

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, V02 said:

What a bizarre post.

49 minutes ago, Bradman Better said:

I don't think that I have ever read a totalrl.com post quite like this one. it is the kind of thing that you would expect to hear from Huddersfield's Chief Executive and Little Englander, Richard Thewlis.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12657915/super-league-catalans-dragons-head-coach-steve-mcnamara-accuses-huddersfield-giants-of-disrespect

49 minutes ago, Bradman Better said:

Beyond bizarre. 

So he's getting more money Than Walters was offered then, yes or no.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 18:31, Gomersall said:

Which the chances are, he will be. This frees up space at Catalans for their academy lads.

As many frenchmen as possible should be playing for as many clubs as possible - just like not all Kiwis are at the warriors in the NRL. It shouldn't be concentrated just at Catalans.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Which the chances are, he will be. This frees up space at Catalans for their academy lads.

As many frenchmen as possible should be playing for as many clubs as possible - just like not all Kiwis are at the warriors in the NRL. It shouldn't be concentrated just at Catalans.

Agreed, it’s good for development to step out of a comfort zone at times in all aspects of life.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Agreed, it’s good for development to step out of a comfort zone at times in all aspects of life.

I would personally go further and allow salary cap dispensations for French players (and Welsh) at English clubs for a period of time to encourage more broad scouting. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Definitely. This is the way forward for NH RL. A good spread of French and Welsh players across SL would strengthen the national teams

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Future is League said:

No. And it's not about Leeds offered, it's about what Wigan offered Vs what Leeds offered. 

5 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

and cam smith is playing in his position at leeds. he's pretty first choice there.

Goudemand is a prop.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Bit of a silly question really Walters was one of the lowest paid 1st team players maybe 25k so when Rohan Smith says he was made a massive offer if they doubled or tripled it say 75k he'd still be on less than half of Tetevano so to answer your question I would say yes Goudemand would have been offered more than Walters.

• Like 2

On 03/07/2023 at 10:00, Tommygilf said:

I would personally go further and allow salary cap dispensations for French players (and Welsh) at English clubs for a period of time to encourage more broad scouting. 

I'm sure Catalans would then just ask for a similar dispensation for English players.

Very few teenage French players are going to come over to England, i'm sure they'd much prefer to stay in France and play for a French team. Maybe a better solution would be to have English players count on the French Quota, thus forcing Catalans, TO etc. to have more French playing spots available in their 1st team squad.

Look at the current Catalans squad they have 6 overseas players and 6 Brits in their Top 25, so they only have 13 French players, and the majority of those don't get to play most weeks. So if Brits counted on their quota then we would have at least 10 French players playing SL every week where as at the moment we probably have 5.

• Like 4

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 03/07/2023 at 10:00, Tommygilf said:

Visas are the dominant issue. Not the cap.

1 hour ago, V02 said:

Visas are the dominant issue. Not the cap.

The cap isn't an issue per sé, though of course it will usually be cheaper for a young english player than a young French prospect. 

I was thinking more as an additional incentive than a compensation effect.