Sun 9th Jul: SL: Hull Kingston Rovers v Hull FC KO 12:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/07/23 at 11:30

6 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I think Tony Smith was very carefully accurate in his summing up at the end of the game.

"We weren't allowed quick play the balls" followed shortly after with "Because we couldn't get quick play the balls", or words to that effect, was a very good summing up of the game.

It seemed that every time a Hull player was tackled a third defender appeared a second or two after to slow down the ptb yet Thaler didn't once penalise this.

Very pleased with Cam Scott's input into Swift's wonderful try, I've been a critic but he's come good of late, as has Darnell Mcintosh.

Along with the great Headingley test result, that was an enjoyable day's sport.

I thought that myself. There were an awful lot of opportunities for a set restart to be given for a flop but they seemed to keep getting away with it. I know all teams do it to some extent, but it seemed to be a tactic they used a lot.

Just now, Davo5 said:

The quality of rugby matched the state of that pitch.

Agreed.

It wasn't great but there's a lot of tension in the Hull derby, regardless of where the two teams are in the table, and I think that reflects on what is produced out on the pitch.

Hull FC were abject in the game earlier on in the season but, while lacking quality, at least today's game was reasonably competitive.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

3 hours ago, MZH said:

The comment about Coote and Abdul is certainly a fair one. I sympathise because Hull have been in that situation plenty of times too. But good teams with deep squads deal with it a lot better than you are.

I don't think you will make the playoffs now tbh, I think that ship has sailed. The cup is a more realistic target to achieve something. 

Unlike a lot of Hull fans I don't have any ill will towards Rovers. If we were 1st if be quite happy for you to be 2nd, and if you go and win the cup I'd congratulate you. But after spending the first part of the season hearing how good you are, that the power has shifted, we are a mess on and off the pitch etc etc. I hope you can understand me not being particularly upset about your downturn in form.

You didn’t hear that from me. I think a fairer assessment of your mood would be “having spent the first part of the season worrying how bad FC were, I’m now wallowing in the shallow satisfaction of seeing an injury-ravaged side only just lose to mine” 🤣🤣🤣

Crack-on mate. Most Hull KR fans don’t have the entitlement or “big club” complex of many FC supporters, and you’re welcome to continue with it. Personally I’m very pleased with the progress we’re making, and have no delusions of grandeur now or at the start of the season.

This is a far better squad than we’ve ever had since we dragged ourselves back into the league in 2006, and I appreciate it. That’s the long and short of it. Take your solace where you can! 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Vary scrappy in the ruck playing the ball.Attacking players need to take a step back before attempting to play it.Defender has every right to stand where the tackle was made he does not have to give space or stand back.Whoever gets Swift next season will have a player who never stops trying and always gives 100%.The way he put Walker on his backside was a pleasure to watch.

2 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

You didn’t hear that from me. I think a fairer assessment of your mood would be “having spent the first part of the season worrying how bad FC were, I’m now wallowing in the shallow satisfaction of seeing an injury-ravaged side only just lose to mine” 🤣🤣🤣

Crack-on mate. Most Hull KR fans don’t have the entitlement or “big club” complex of many FC supporters, and you’re welcome to continue with it. Personally I’m very pleased with the progress we’re making, and have no delusions of grandeur now or at the start of the season.

This is a far better squad than we’ve ever had since we dragged ourselves back into the league in 2006, and I appreciate it. That’s the long and short of it. Take your solace where you can! 

Not at all. This game was a vital one for us to maintain a slim hope of making the playoffs. I was much more bothered about that than the fact it was a derby. As I've already said, I thought we were really poor today, our worst performance in at least 2 months. So I'm pleased with the two points, but there's not much to gloat about. We are a work in progress, but I'm very pleased with the work Smith is doing. You might not have been lording it up over us earlier in the season, but plenty were.

Was I concerned about how bad Hull were early in the season? A bit. I wasn't worried about relegation because of how bad Wakefield were, and I didn't expect Smith to be able to turn things around overnight, but it's fair to say we put in some truly awful performances. 

Good luck in the semi.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MZH said:

Good luck in the semi.

Bloody Hell, you're not buying into this rivalry are you?!?!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MZH said:

Well tbf the last time they reached a final I enjoyed it very much.

Fair play!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MZH said:

Not at all. This game was a vital one for us to maintain a slim hope of making the playoffs. I was much more bothered about that than the fact it was a derby. As I've already said, I thought we were really poor today, our worst performance in at least 2 months. So I'm pleased with the two points, but there's not much to gloat about. We are a work in progress, but I'm very pleased with the work Smith is doing. You might not have been lording it up over us earlier in the season, but plenty were.

Was I concerned about how bad Hull were early in the season? A bit. I wasn't worried about relegation because of how bad Wakefield were, and I didn't expect Smith to be able to turn things around overnight, but it's fair to say we put in some truly awful performances. 

Good luck in the semi.

Fair enough mate. I'm just bored of people who think Rovers' fans thought we'd made it after 7 rounds, when in reality the only people losing their s*** were Sky and the usual morons every club has who couldn't read a game even if it was written down. Rovers have a squad that can still make the play offs despite horrendous injuries, that'll do me - I remember the days when if we'd lost just one playmaker or propr we'd be shipping 40 points most weeks and in a relegation battle. This'll do me instead.

Likewise, Smith knows what he's doing and you'll be fine for regular play offs and semis if you give him time to sort the squad out. Personally I'd like nothing more than Rovers and FC consistently in the Top 6 together, be great for the sport in this city.  

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

40 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Fair enough mate. I'm just bored of people who think Rovers' fans thought we'd made it after 7 rounds, when in reality the only people losing their s*** were Sky and the usual morons every club has who couldn't read a game even if it was written down. Rovers have a squad that can still make the play offs despite horrendous injuries, that'll do me - I remember the days when if we'd lost just one playmaker or propr we'd be shipping 40 points most weeks and in a relegation battle. This'll do me instead.

Likewise, Smith knows what he's doing and you'll be fine for regular play offs and semis if you give him time to sort the squad out. Personally I'd like nothing more than Rovers and FC consistently in the Top 6 together, be great for the sport in this city.  

Both clubs are heading in the right direction. Both clubs still have a long way to go. I think that's the fairest way to sum it up.

• Like 2

Edited due to dodgy photo...

Edited by Old Frightful

1 minute ago, Fevrover said:

You tinker 😃

Damn and blast!

There's been a few moans about it from our East Hull friends so I thought I'd better remove it but, obviously, not in time it seems!

4 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Damn and blast!

There's been a few moans about it from our East Hull friends so I thought I'd better remove it but, obviously, not in time it seems!

It's only banter they'd do same ,i actually like it in a warped sense 😆.

On 09/07/2023 at 13:53, MZH said:

Terrible quality game. We were marginally better in the second half but not much. We got the result though, and that's all I'm really bothered about today.

Same here, I couldn't give a monkey's about the quality. Winning a Derby 1-0 with a 10% percent completion rate for both sides would do me.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 09/07/2023 at 16:01, MZH said:

The comment about Coote and Abdul is certainly a fair one. I sympathise because Hull have been in that situation plenty of times too. But good teams with deep squads deal with it a lot better than you are.

I don't think you will make the playoffs now tbh, I think that ship has sailed. The cup is a more realistic target to achieve something. 

Unlike a lot of Hull fans I don't have any ill will towards Rovers. If we were 1st if be quite happy for you to be 2nd, and if you go and win the cup I'd congratulate you. But after spending the first part of the season hearing how good you are, that the power has shifted, we are a mess on and off the pitch etc etc. I hope you can understand me not being particularly upset about your downturn in form.

Agree with that. We Hull fans can spot a season going down the tubes a mile off. We wrote the handbook.

• Haha 3

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 09/07/2023 at 16:32, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Yes, plus better acoustics helped by having all the Rovers fans packing out that away end.  Rovers ground is a bit too open plan.

You've probably got a point.

The atmosphere in the ground was electric yesterday but the TV coverage didn't capture the level of the noise.

It's always depressing losing a derby but Hull were deserved winners on this occasion so no complaints about the result. Still, rovers retained the Clive Sullivan trophy by an aggregate score of 46-16.

Rovers probably should have sewn it up in the first half but the quality wasn't there. I expected as much with 6 key players absent from the Good Friday game and with Hull in much better form. In particular taking Abdull, Coote, Sue and Batchelor out of the team was a loss Rovers couldn't make up for.

Rovers are in rude financial health and are assembling a formidable team for 2024 which will be the first time for many years that the club will outspend Hull significantly. Rovers will have 3 marquee players whilst Hull will be losing Satae, Clifford, Swift, Griffin and Dwyer. Have I missed anybody?

We've seen in the past when Hull splashed out big on the likes of Reynolds and Gale that spending big is one thing and spending well is another. We'll have to see if Rovers as the dominant financial force in the city will spend their money better than Hull did.

Thing is though Rovers own their ground and surrounding land and will continue to make huge financial windfalls from the likes of big concerts and other commercial opportunities whilst Hull get nothing out of the MKM other than rent liabilities.

If Hull are to compete with Rovers in the years to come they will have to punch above their financial weight.

22 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

It's always depressing losing a derby but Hull were deserved winners on this occasion so no complaints about the result. Still, rovers retained the Clive Sullivan trophy by an aggregate score of 46-16.

Rovers probably should have sewn it up in the first half but the quality wasn't there. I expected as much with 6 key players absent from the Good Friday game and with Hull in much better form. In particular taking Abdull, Coote, Sue and Batchelor out of the team was a loss Rovers couldn't make up for.

Rovers are in rude financial health and are assembling a formidable team for 2024 which will be the first time for many years that the club will outspend Hull significantly. Rovers will have 3 marquee players whilst Hull will be losing Satae, Clifford, Swift, Griffin and Dwyer. Have I missed anybody?

We've seen in the past when Hull splashed out big on the likes of Reynolds and Gale that spending big is one thing and spending well is another. We'll have to see if Rovers as the dominant financial force in the city will spend their money better than Hull did.

Thing is though Rovers own their ground and surrounding land and will continue to make huge financial windfalls from the likes of big concerts and other commercial opportunities whilst Hull get nothing out of the MKM other than rent liabilities.

If Hull are to compete with Rovers in the years to come they will have to punch above their financial weight.

Very subtle, I like it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

22 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Very subtle, I like it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Typical DS garbage.

On a match thread that his team loses, he spends a third of his post talking about the game and the majority belittling Hull FC.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Oh my goodness I've got to you again haven't I.

Nah, you'd find it almost impossible to get to me during the week after a Hull derby victory.

It's not even worth me saying "Nice try though".