FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

On 06/08/2023 at 13:54, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Attendance Watch Day 18:

40,233 - Netherlands v South Africa, Sydney (SFS) 

27,706 - Sweden v USA, Melbourne 

Total attendance: 1,365,117

Avg Attendance (52 games): 26,252

Attendance Watch Day 19:

49,461 - England v Nigeria, Brisbane

75,784 - Australia v Denmark, Sydney (ANZ) 

Total attendance: 1,490,362

Avg Attendance (54 games): 27,599

On 05/08/2023 at 23:14, tim2 said:

So, the Aussie public will go to internationals in a sport they have very little experience of, and which is (according to the blokes at the pub) inferior quality. Yet they are not interested in rugby league internationals. Funny old world.

Australians have heaps of experience with soccer. It’s widely considered a good childhood sport. Some clubs can have 30 plus teams in the youngest age category, and the same club will have only enough players for one u16 team. The drop out rate is HUGE once they hit 12 years old. That was my local soccer club’s experience. The kids also discussed the EPL, European soccer stars, AFL and NRL and almost never the A-League.

There’s a whole “it’s time for women to shine in sport” feeling sweeping across the Australian cultural landscape these past few years.

Even the Canberra Raiders NRLW team had over 6000 in the stadium for their kick off a few weeks ago.

Combine this cultural change with slick marketing of a huge global women’s sporting event and the crowds will pack in.

I also doubt this will result in any substantial long term increase in attendances at W-league (women’s soccer in Australia) matches.

Edited by Copa

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Australians have heaps of experience with soccer. It’s widely considered a good childhood sport. Some clubs can have 30 plus teams in the youngest age category, and the same club will have only enough players for one u16 team. The drop out rate is HUGE once they hit 12 years old. That was my local soccer club’s experience. The kids also discussed the EPL, European soccer stars, AFL and NRL and almost never the A-League.

There’s a whole “it’s time for women to shine in sport” feeling sweeping across the Australian cultural landscape these past few years.

Even the Canberra Raiders NRLW team had over 6000 in the stadium for their kick off a few weeks ago.

Combine this cultural change with slick marketing of a huge global women’s sporting event and the crowds will pack in.

I also doubt this will result in any substantial long term increase in attendances at W-league (women’s soccer in Australia) matches.

Football Australia's priority seems to have shifted - probably by accident - from  having international players playing in their minor league to having their players playing in the major international leagues, which makes sense. Keep developing participation and having a spread domestic league and that will keep it all ticking over.

The Matildas have already won more in prize money in this World Cup - I make it about AUS$5m - than a team that won the NRL Grand Final for six consecutive seasons would get.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Crikey. That was 'lucky'.

Completely off the pace after about 25 mins. 

Dug deep.

Only saw the first half hour and followed the rest via radio/updates as was working and travelling - caught up with highlights last night.

England were pretty grim - Mary Earps, Jess Carter and one Rachel Daly header aside. Nigeria, for all their dominance, found that you do have to put the ball in the net to win matches.

Lauren James should get three matches minimum for the stamp. No excuses at all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

@CopaMore likely because it's a global event held in Australia,  first since the Olympics in 2000 , and people will go however tedious it is.

Rugby WCs of both codes are not exactly global nor is cricket.

Do you think FIFA are less likely or more to hold the Men's football World Cup in Australia after this ?

I'm guessing less likely,  due to the kick off times for Europe and The Americas and FIFA had to posture and threaten to get tv deals from those two important soccer markets.

Edited by HawkMan

11 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

@CopaMore likely because it's a global event held in Australia,  first since the Olympics in 2000 , and people will go however tedious it is.

Rugby WCs of both codes are not exactly global nor is cricket.

Do you think FIFA are less likely or more to hold the Men's football World Cup in Australia after this ?

I'm guessing less likely,  due to the kick off times for Europe and The Americas and FIFA had to posture and threaten to get tv deals from those two important soccer markets.

We also had another soccer tournament in 2015, the Asian Cup, and I watched Iran v Iraq (FT 3:3 - Iraq won penalties 7:6) in an absolutely wild and packed Canberra stadium. I also went to China v North Korea in Canberra although their fans weren’t as crazy as the Iraqis and Iranians.

I doubt Australia will ever get the men’s WC. I helped contribute in a little way to the last bid and I knew the whole time we’d never get it because we aren’t cunning or corrupt enough.

On 07/08/2023 at 22:27, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Attendance Watch Day 19:

49,461 - England v Nigeria, Brisbane

75,784 - Australia v Denmark, Sydney (ANZ) 

Total attendance: 1,490,362

Avg Attendance (54 games): 27,599

Attendance Watch Day 20:

27,706 - Colombia v Jamaica, Melbourne

13,557 - France v Morocco, Adelaide

Total attendance: 1,531,625

Avg Attendance (56 games): 27,350

On 09/08/2023 at 14:38, gingerjon said:

Blimey 

So the Womens Football broke The Baressi Line and united the country unlike the NRL and AFL....sad times but then you just got to look at what's popular in music like Rap ###### etc and the whole awful reality tv ###### and it reflects how gullible and sheeple people are.

I wonder what happened to the under 15's Soccer team who beat them a few years ago.

On 09/08/2023 at 23:38, gingerjon said:

Blimey 

Some articles are saying it was every SOO back to a particular date (which i have forgotten)

If i remember correctly the 2003 union WC final had the highest Australian tv ratings ever recorded for a sports event. So they need to knock the union guys of their perch.

Edited by Copa

Well there you go, I wake up to find I am rubbish at predicting football results. I was pretty sure the Dutch would run out winners in this one but looking at the stats, the Spanish were pretty dominant. I salute you gingerjon, you do know your football! 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I salute you gingerjon, you do know your football! 

It just involves shouting "Spain" a lot at this point.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Copa said:

Some articles are saying it was every SOO back to a particular date (which i have forgotten)

If i remember correctly the 2003 union WC final had the highest Australian tv ratings ever recorded for a sports event. So they need to knock the union guys of their perch.

Without knowing the numbers, you'd assume that it wouldn't be the QF but a possible semi final or final that would be the one to do that.

Spain were deserved winners - some of the football they play is a delight to watch. Right out of the Spain/Barcelona men's notebook from a few years back. What might cost them - and nearly did against Netherlands - was failing to score despite dominating possession. Netherlands could easily have gone ahead right before Spain scored their second.

Really looking forward to the matches tomorrow. Might even get up early for the Aussie game.

On 08/08/2023 at 22:53, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Attendance Watch Day 20:

27,706 - Colombia v Jamaica, Melbourne

13,557 - France v Morocco, Adelaide

Total attendance: 1,531,625

Avg Attendance (56 games): 27,350

Attendance Watch Day 23:

32,021 - Spain v Netherlands, Wellington

43,217 - Japan v Sweden, Auckland

Total attendance: 1,606,863

Avg Attendance (58 games): 27,705

17 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Attendance Watch Day 23:

32,021 - Spain v Netherlands, Wellington

43,217 - Japan v Sweden, Auckland

Total attendance: 1,606,863

Avg Attendance (58 games): 27,705

Australia strikes me as being quite like the UK when it comes to big sports events. People will attend anything if it's seen as a big event.

I've really noticed a difference in the UK this time around, to the point where it has been promoted much like a mens tournament. I was disappointed this morning to find it isn't like this in the and neither of this morning's games are on terrestrial. Turns out their channel SBS6 only took up some of the games.

On 10/08/2023 at 16:50, EggFace said:

So the Womens Football broke The Baressi Line and united the country unlike the NRL and AFL....sad times but then you just got to look at what's popular in music like Rap ###### etc and the whole awful reality tv ###### and it reflects how gullible and sheeple people are.

I wonder what happened to the under 15's Soccer team who beat them a few years ago.

You'll just love this;

Very poor crowd for Roosters v Dolphins playing same time as Matildas. Commentators acknowledge fans in stadium have their minds elsewhere. Loud cheer as Matildas win. So that's Australia sorted by soccer, only Indian sub continent left. The A League is still of little interest,  will some backers put money into it like MLS ? 

Edited by HawkMan