The 2024 Kit Thread

3 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Comes around earlier every year...

Interesting, Hummel pulling back a bit? The last FC Forces shirt wasn't Hummel was it.

On top, are both this and the Hummel deals with the main brand or through a local supplier?

Edit: in answer to my own question:

"Advantage Brands offers a platform and suite of services to own and operate Apparel and Accessories brands, and the opportunity to develop licenses and acquire brand IP as consumer focused alternatives for the Active, Lifestyle, Sport Licensing and Team Sports market channels.

Brand Licenses include Kappa and Steeden with private label services supporting further brand partners."

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Interesting, Hummel pulling back a bit? The last FC Forces shirt wasn't Hummel was it.

On top, are both this and the Hummel deals with the main brand or through a local supplier?

"Advantage Brands offers a platform and suite of services to own and operate Apparel and Accessories brands, and the opportunity to develop licenses and acquire brand IP as consumer focused alternatives for the Active, Lifestyle, Sport Licensing and Team Sports market channels.

Brand Licenses include Kappa and Steeden with private label services supporting further brand partners."

The Hummel license holder (Elite Sports Group not to be confused with Elite Sports Pro who are Oxen) went into admin late last year. I'm assuming this is the explanation for the Hull forces shirt being unbranded and now this. Probably the clubs they supplied got their stock just in time but now that's the end of it and they need new suppliers.

I think Advantage Brands were responsible for the Kappa gear for the WC and Salfords old kits. It's a bit of a like for like swap, Wigan seem to like to have a semi-known brand on the the kits rather than a specific RL brand. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

It's always good to see new quality kit manufacturers coming back into the sport and Im glad Wigan have gone for the quality angle again. I know that's why they plumped for Hummel the last time, who made some great stuff. I'd have hated for Oxen to have come on board.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's always good to see new quality kit manufacturers coming back into the sport and Im glad Wigan have gone for the quality angle again. I know that's why they plumped for Hummel the last time, who made some great stuff. I'd have hated for Oxen to have come on board.

Oxen have improved to be fair, and whilst they still do have weird gear like the origin stuff, they haven't been as bad this year as in previous seasons.

However, they should never have come on board with the Rhinos as their first club,  nor been handed total control of the sales and merchandise department in the way that they were at the club either.

FWIW, Kappa seemed to have some decent gear last time round in RL. I got some TWP stuff. It didn't feel very bespoke though, in that Salford for example had the exact same stuff just with a colour change. Its nice and a decent enough quality, but not very "premium" or individual I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Oxen have improved to be fair, and whilst they still do have weird gear like the origin stuff, they haven't been as bad this year as in previous seasons.

However, they should never have come on board with the Rhinos as their first club,  nor been handed total control of the sales and merchandise department in the way that they were at the club either.

FWIW, Kappa seemed to have some decent gear last time round in RL. I got some TWP stuff. It didn't feel very bespoke though, in that Salford for example had the exact same stuff just with a colour change. Its nice and a decent enough quality, but not very "premium" or individual I suppose. 

I disagree on Oxen as people on here probably know, although they do seem to have slowed down on the training ranges in the last month or so, it seemed like there was one every month.

I went into the shop Last Friday, there is just no cohesion with any of our stuff, the main training range that's in the store appears to be Turquoise for some reason and those Retro shirts are just nasty cheap knockoffs, all topped off with they don't have anything that fits me as they dropped XS.

Anyway it's not going to change for a while, so I suppose it will save me some money.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't know if it's been officially announced but Hummel aren't going to be making Hull's shirts next year. The recent forces shirt didn't have a makers brand on it. Not sure who produced it.

It's only rumours but I've heard Castore mentioned for our new kit supplier, which I'd be really pleased with.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MZH said:

I don't know if it's been officially announced but Hummel aren't going to be making Hull's shirts next year. The recent forces shirt didn't have a makers brand on it. Not sure who produced it.

It's only rumours but I've heard Castore mentioned for our new kit supplier, which I'd be really pleased with.

Castore are nice (now), but their ranges can be somewhat limited - my mum couldn't believe the difference between the Adidas Celtic shop and the Castore Rangers one when we went to Glasgow a few years ago for example. There is a suggestion that they have tried to expand too quickly, branching out into Football, Cricket, Rugby and even F1 in a very short period of time.

They make the Roosters and Storm kits in the NRL iirc, as well as Saracens and now Leinster from this season too in NH Union. The kit looks good:

Aside from the quality, which has improved, and the size of the range offered to teams, the main critique has been the price. Naturally that was more fierce when the brand was newer and quality not as good, but its still far from cheap. It will be a minimum £60-65 for a shirt for example (the Leinster shirts are on sale for £79). I wonder how that will go down in English RL.

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Castore are nice (now), but their ranges can be somewhat limited - my mum couldn't believe the difference between the Adidas Celtic shop and the Castore Rangers one when we went to Glasgow a few years ago for example. There is a suggestion that they have tried to expand too quickly, branching out into Football, Cricket, Rugby and even F1 in a very short period of time.

They make the Roosters and Storm kits in the NRL iirc, as well as Saracens and now Leinster from this season too in NH Union. The kit looks good:

Aside from the quality, which has improved, and the size of the range offered to teams, the main critique has been the price. Naturally that was more fierce when the brand was newer and quality not as good, but its still far from cheap. It will be a minimum £60-65 for a shirt for example (the Leinster shirts are on sale for £79). I wonder how that will go down in English RL.

Watching the Women's World Cup this morning, I noticed Castore are doing the Irish national kit. 

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think it would be an issue although personally id prefer to pay extra for decent stuff but I realise i may be in a minority 

23 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think it would be an issue although personally id prefer to pay extra for decent stuff but I realise i may be in a minority 

Most definitely this. 

I don’t buy O’Neills stuff and that’s hardly cheap but I was more likely to buy ISC stuff when Saints had them because it was nicer and a better quality, though what the prices compared like I can’t remember for definite. 

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I disagree on Oxen as people on here probably know, although they do seem to have slowed down on the training ranges in the last month or so, it seemed like there was one every month.

I went into the shop Last Friday, there is just no cohesion with any of our stuff, the main training range that's in the store appears to be Turquoise for some reason and those Retro shirts are just nasty cheap knockoffs, all topped off with they don't have anything that fits me as they dropped XS.

Anyway it's not going to change for a while, so I suppose it will save me some money.

I have no love for Oxen at all, but their offering has improved imo. Its still not great, or elite even, but it is better than it was.

The retro shirts are an attempt at the Score Draw market imo, equally as cheap but they sell well enough.

28 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think the issue with Castore is not only, is it better quality, but also, is it better enough quality to justify a nearly £80 shirt?

Not only would that be £15 more than LUFC are charging for brand new Adidas shirts for example, but even if it was the same price as LUFC, have we a market conditioned to much lower prices for those items? 

I know you and I both have the superdry Rhinos range which was top whack when it came out. Like you I dont mind paying more for a quality item. I just don't think a single season match shirt has that same draw imo.

Perhaps they can produce a range that can be sold closer to the current £50 price point, but does that lead to compromises in quality?

2 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Bring back Nike and Umbro

Some of the Umbro kits from the 1980s were truly iconic such as the Wigan, Hull FC, Widnes, Leeds etc. They were the perfect blend of the traditional colours with a more modern look.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think the issue with Castore is not only, is it better quality, but also, is it better enough quality to justify a nearly £80 shirt?

Not only would that be £15 more than LUFC are charging for brand new Adidas shirts for example, but even if it was the same price as LUFC, have we a market conditioned to much lower prices for those items? 

I know you and I both have the superdry Rhinos range which was top whack when it came out. Like you I dont mind paying more for a quality item. I just don't think a single season match shirt has that same draw imo.

Perhaps they can produce a range that can be sold closer to the current £50 price point, but does that lead to compromises in quality?

To be honest it isn’t really the playing shirts I have the biggest issue with (i do have an issue with them though) I always buy the player issue shirts which are far better quality but also £80!!

It’s the leisure wear I don’t like from Oxen, they’ve gone for the more is more sales model, and I just find it all a bit cheapy looking.

I stll wear the Super Dry hoody which I understand is why they go for cheaper options because they want people to buy them every year rather than one every few years

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

Some of thr Umbro kits from the 1980s were truly iconic such as the Wigan, Leeds, Widnes, Leeds etc. They were the perfect blend of the traditional colours with a more modern look.

To be fair they didn’t have the eye sore that is 15 different sponsors on the shirt to deal with!

27 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

For me, on any of the playing shirts, the biggest issue is the 1 year thing. 

Training kit is training kit and you're buying it because you like the tshirt etc but the kit changes so dramatically for most that it really can be a 1 year purchase. I tend to get one when they go back towards tradition and to replace the last similar shirt.